Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on the Garmont Mega-LIGHT?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:28 pm 

I'm on a work trip right now, and I found a store with a (I think) really good price on these, and I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on them. I've seen a lot of people digging the Mega Ride, but this is the 3-buckle + power strap version. It's got dynafit pin holes so you can do the skiining mod. I was thinking about trying my T2X's for splitting, but this seems like it might be a lower/more flexible boot, better for snowboarding, and a better walker too. Definitely in the long run I'm looking for something for higher-altitude/mountaineering type-stuff.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, so I can score a pair before I come home next week, if I decide to pull the trigger. :)

Thanks,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:33 pm 

They would suit you well at higher altitude in colder weather. They will be plenty stiff for driving your edges in, when you get into that nasty icy crap that you will encounter in a mountaineering situation. I have worked in a shop and we sold through Mega Rides like hotcakes, I can only imagine that Mega Lights would be equally as good. If they are a good price then you should go for it. If they don't work out there is always ebay, or this site for that matter...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:19 am 

climbingjunky wrote:
They would suit you well at higher altitude in colder weather. They will be plenty stiff for driving your edges in, when you get into that nasty icy crap that you will encounter in a mountaineering situation

Totally agree. And now I go off topic....

I am recently pondering a theory about this. Essentially, yes, stiff boots and board and bindings works well in hard icy snow. BUT, if the riders legs are not up to the task then all that rigidity and stiffness will work against you, big time. And the situation when a riders legs are most fatigued is after lugging a heavy pack, and potentially your board, for several hours into very cold temps and thinner oxygen. Until my legs are like an Olympic athletes, I wont use a super rigid set-up during difficult riding situations as my muscle strength and endurance just cant offer the power demanded by the set-up.

I was in a meeting recently and wrote a 5 page mini thesis on this idea (pretending to take notes). One day I will type it out.

I use hard boots often and if you can drive them well then they are a better ride than softs. But they will demand more from you and magnify the weakspot in the riders relationship with the mountain:

terrain ~ snow ~ board ~ binding ~ boots ~ legs ~ load

* You can group terrain and snow as "the surface"

* You can group board, binding, boot as "the interface"

* And you can group legs and load (I call it "load". That's you and your pack, the rider).

But there is overlap in the last two groups "interface" and "load": are the legs part of the load (the rider) or are they part of the boot-binding-board interface between the load and the surface? I think your legs are more part of the interface than part of the load. Therefore stiff boots need strong endurance legs if you intend on riding hard snow on a stiff board.

All parts of the thing have to be matched.

Sorry, way off topic. I am just a geek out of control and bored at work.