Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: canted boots and knee pain?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:46 pm 

It's a good thing our season is near its end because my left knee is feeling pretty shredded. I have yet to hit up my sister who's a physical therapist or see a doctor, but I should. I'm having a hard time walking down stairs or walking in the woods due to a pain and lack of support coming from the right front side of my left knee. Tendons? ligaments? I know there's got to be some other knees getting old on here, what are you doing?

Anyway, I posted this in the boot thread because I'm using a softboot with a canted foot bed. Could the two be related?

I should also add that I'm pretty lazy about heel risers because of the pitch changes here-I hate skinning mild stuff on heel risers. Would using them more take strain off my knees? The pain is persistent enough now that using them/not using them really doesn't make a difference.

Post subject: Re: canted boots and knee pain?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:35 pm 

I developed knee pain in the same place on the same (left, for me front) leg years ago after I began riding with a front foot rearward cant. I removed the cant and it resolved fairly quickly. It made sense that that part of my knee was being injured, given that weighting my front leg and bending my front me with the outside of my front foot elevated would stretch and strain things there. If you I'd consult a PT or MD to determine the likely cause; connective tissue is precious. Good luck...

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

Post subject: Re: canted boots and knee pain?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:27 pm 

Thanks for your input, Taylor. My boots are set up with the same cant as you had. While this might help support the knees on the down, I think it's tearing mine apart on the up. The boots are gone next season. Went out in the fresh 8 inches we got last night and the knee was popping on the walk back to the truck. Going to call a doc.