Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for Hardboot insigh
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:48 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
billygoat19 wrote:
If you can wait till next year it sounds like one or two companies will be releasing a hard boot snowboard specific touring boot. This is probably your best bet. I don't have any details on them, but the rumors sound promising.

doubt it

Especially for next year, considering nothing like this was shown at ISPO/SIA... This would take considerable development cost, I have discussed it some with a representative (product developer) from Dynafit.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:12 pm 

I used Scarpa F1 and F1 Race boots. The F1 Race models were pretty flexy in the toe accordion hinge to the point where they didn't sidehill much better than my Spark/Driver X setup. I still have them and put them on every 6 months and think, "maybe..." And then think "naaaah." :wink:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:33 pm 

Quote:
I used Scarpa F1 and F1 Race boots. The F1 Race models were pretty flexy in the toe accordion hinge to the point where they didn't sidehill much better than my Spark/Driver X setup. I still have them and put them on every 6 months and think, "maybe..." And then think "naaaah." :wink:

I too ride the Scarpa F1 and F1 Race boots. Also I have tried the Driver X boots
Funny how we have the polar-opposites experience in riding the same pair of boots. :scratch:

Both the F1 and F1 Race ride and split-ski well for me in all conditions including the side- hilling.

Philip says:
Quote:
Basically anytime you needed to get over the nose or the tail of the board and have lateral ankle flex was a total no-go compared to the freedom of softboots

I don't have any problem with later flex in getting my weight over the front or tail of the board with the Scarpa F1s and Bomber splitboard HB bindings or Burton Race.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:08 am 

I'd be interested to see a photo of the lateral ankle flex you guys achieve with your HBs that exceed a soft boot.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:56 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
I'd be interested to see a photo of the lateral ankle flex you guys achieve with your HBs that exceed a soft boot.

me too! pics or it didn't happen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:45 pm 

philip.ak wrote:

I have ridden both unmodified and modified Scarpa F1 and F3. For moderate skinning and hiking, I loved the bellows. Like you though, I also found the flex in the bellows made both sidehilling and kicking steps or front pointing on firmer snow more difficult. Those are the only boots with bellows though and other AT boots do not have those issues. I am amazed at what I can sidehill on my TLT5s in firm snow.

I found the lateral flex to be quite stiff for the F1 and F3. I also found a number of dead spots in the flex pattern of those boots that did not work well for me. The TLT5s are a bit softer laterally and have a more even flex pattern overall.

I have not found an AT boot that has the freedom of motion that my Driver X's have. The mods we make to the AT boots help a lot and the lateral flex John has built into this year's Phantom bindings also helps a tremendous amount. There are more flex directions that forward and lateral though and AT boots are going to have issues with some of those diagonal directions verses a soft boot.

For my riding (longtime surfer), AT boots work very well and I absolutely love touring in them. I think they would work well for a lot of splitters (clearly they ride just fine based on the number of splitters using them), depending on riding style. I have ridden some volcanoes with ShredOR and based on his very skate style snowboarding, I do not think he needs to try them.

I do think that any splitter who thinks AT boots might work well for them and who can afford them, should put out the effort to try a decent set up to know for themselves (boots that are actually good for splitting, make the mods, try inward cant, quality bindings).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:22 pm 

what size boot do you use jerret, have a friend who has a pair of tlt5 that he couldnt get to work and will let go for cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:48 pm 

vapor wrote:
what size boot do you use jerret, have a friend who has a pair of tlt5 that he couldnt get to work and will let go for cheap.

11.5 usually

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:40 pm 

I've got tlt5 29s that I would trade for 28s, too big for my size 10 foot( and sick of wearing 3 pairs of socks :-P )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:59 pm 

A couple of things can be done to take up space within a Hard Boot that is too big.

[*]1st is the Masterfit Eliminator Tongue.
See http://www.masterfitenterprises.com/eliminator.html
[*] 2nd Adding a custom insole.
[*] 3rd Try a different liner and thermo-mold the liner.

It may be one of these or all these may help.

Search for my posting for the Masterfit Eliminator Tongue for the benefits for hard-booters (and soft booters too).

Of course, knowing the correct shell size and your mondo point size will help too:
See:
[*]http://gearx.com/blog/knowledge/skiing/how-to-size-ski-boots/
[*]http://gearx.com/blog/2010/09/17/a-quick-ski-boot-fit-guide-for-alpine-touring-and-telemark-boots/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:43 pm 

jerrett wrote:
vapor wrote:

11.5 usually

He wears around size 27 so a no go