Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: soft to hard
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:27 pm 

The forefoot is snug on me but the real problem is at my arch. I have a very flat foot that is widest at the arch. When I get out of a pool I leave wet ovals instead of footprints. :(

I talked to a bootfitter about the TLT5 and he was concerned about punching where I need it adjusted because of the proximity to the medial ankle pivot. I was willing to take chances to get the boots to fit but the fitter wasn't. There might be other boot fitters that could do it but I'm in Bellingham, WA and don't really want to drive 4 hours at a time to work with a fitter.

My BD Primes are heavy but fit my foot comfortably but I'm still on the lookout for something lighter and softer. I don't have a lot to choose from in Bellingham and don't get to Seattle very often. I should probably find a shop in Vancouver on my way through to try other boots on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:32 pm 

Jason4 wrote:
The forefoot is snug on me but the real problem is at my arch. I have a very flat foot that is widest at the arch. When I get out of a pool I leave wet ovals instead of footprints. :(

I talked to a bootfitter about the TLT5 and he was concerned about punching where I need it adjusted because of the proximity to the medial ankle pivot. I was willing to take chances to get the boots to fit but the fitter wasn't. There might be other boot fitters that could do it but I'm in Bellingham, WA and don't really want to drive 4 hours at a time to work with a fitter.

My BD Primes are heavy but fit my foot comfortably but I'm still on the lookout for something lighter and softer. I don't have a lot to choose from in Bellingham and don't get to Seattle very often. I should probably find a shop in Vancouver on my way through to try other boots on.

I would try Scarpa then, but you might need to mold really thick liner to hold your low volume in place. Not sure what boot in the Scarpa line to work with though. The Rush is OK, I know some folks who ride them. I ma not a fan of the Alien with no tongue at all, and all the hassle of not having full shell coverage, but I am sure it could be made to work, with lots and lots of mods.
Or, just find a boot fitter who will get you a good fit in the TLT6, i suspect it can be done by someone with the skills...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:19 pm 

I'll have to go through another round of trying on boots. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:27 pm 

Wasatch_Don is riding the Sideral.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13776&start=0

He likes them, but he's also a taller, beefier fella and may not be soft enough for some. Maybe he can chime in on his impressions as he was riding the TLT5 last few seasons?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:07 pm 

Barrow says:
Quote:
I would try Scarpa then, but you might need to mold really thick liner to hold your low volume in place. Not sure what boot in the Scarpa line to work with though. The Rush is OK, I know some folks who ride them. I ma not a fan of the Alien with no tongue at all, and all the hassle of not having full shell coverage, but I am sure it could be made to work, with lots and lots of mods.

So thought I chime-in and say that I ride both the stock Scarpa F1 and Scarpa F1 Race (comes with out the Pebex tongue) with custom insoles (orthotics).

Both F1 boots ride very well. The Scarpa F1 Race is obviously softer and rides well Powder and Crud, have not tried the Race on hardpack, perhaps this Friday I will try them at the resort. The stock F1 rides and tours very well in all conditions. So I think the Alien would be fine for light powder conditions.
Scarpas have a high arch.

next year: LaSportiva is coming out with the LaSportiva Syborg is an inexpensive grilamid version of their full-carbon high end race boot.

Jaso4 wrote:
Quote:

I use to on a 2009 version of the Scarpa F1 in size 27 and an older pair of Scarpa Lasers (size 27 mondo). I had the bootfitter at Ski Shop punch out the boots and heat mold the liners. I returned the 2009 Scapa F1 forward lean lever would not stayed locked down to Sierra Trading Post. Sierra sent me a new pair of 2010 Scapa F1s (size 27 mondo). Unbenounced, Scarpa had change their sizing. So now the boot was slightly to big, although I benefited from a larger toe box! Noting a have a low volume foot. I tried the Mastfit Eliminator tongue (see my post about the benefits of this tongue). The Eliminator tongue took up the volume and increased my comfort 10 fold, as I was over tightening the F1 boots Now I have the perfect pair of stock boots for riding and touring. So if you need to take up some volume in a boot liner after the liners are heat molded, try the Eliminator tongue! Like me you may not need to modify you new AT boots.

Quote:
The forefoot is snug on me but the real problem is at my arch. I have a very flat foot that is widest at the arch. When I get out of a pool I leave wet ovals instead of footprints.

my :twocents: Since I too have been to a bootfitter and a podatrist. I would spend the time and effort to find someone who is both. Such as Bob, owner of Boulder Orthotics operating out of Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder, Colorado, is a Board Certified Podiatrist with extensive experience in footwear sales. see Cinderella Ski Boot Fit http://www.wildsnow.com/8557/cinderella-backcountry-boot-fit/ and http://boulderorthotics.com/aboutme.htm

Note: the TLT5s in the bottom left corner of the image.