Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Comprehensive guide to hard boot splitboarding?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:30 pm 

So I'm 6'3" and have a 24 inch softboot stance. Pretty wide. Would it be absurd to think I'd maintain that width for a HB setup?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:12 am 

This is not meant to be an anti-HB rant, just personal observations that might add to the discussion. Flame away if you must 8)
It's worth pointing out some distinct differences between soft boots and hardboots that are insurmountable regardless of brand, model or modification.

Whatever setup you go with, give it at least a season, or two before you ditch your softboot setup. If for no other reason than to see if it fits your touring habits, and/or fits a niche you are willing to shell out $$ for a separate kit.

I rode my setup for a season and a half and enjoyed it. Without a doubt I prefer the efficiency on the skin track with the tech toe pieces, but I could never get comfortable with the distinct differences in overall boot design, particularly on the ride down. It was only after I'd gone back to a good softboot setup that I realized an improvement in my 'overall' touring experience and why.

Specifically:
    Lack of preferred amount of forward lean, or any way to precisely control what little is available (F3)
    Stack height difference (heel vs toe) I'm used to minimalist shoes and snowboarding is the only time I ever wear boots - I don't wear boots for any other activities.
    Boot/sole narrowness (not talking comfort, but 'perceived' stability)
    Toe control, lack of feel/pressure, etc. (choose a more technical term if you like, it just felt wrong)
:twocents:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:30 am 

Wrong boot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:17 pm 

I think the basics are well covered in the TLT 6 Mod thread. What is described there should transfer pretty well to most HBs.

WP: I'm 6' and have been rocking my same 23" ish stance as I try out HBs and it works fine. I do a little canting on the rear foot and some basic shell removal and that works well for me.

My experience does not perfectly line up with what Snurfer describes. I also found the stock forward lean to little on F3s so I removed the forward lean bar, filled the hole and then drilled an ovular one out higher to achieve more forward lean and found this much better. Once I stopped using Voile Mt. Plates, I found the HBs to work much better as well. Dyna toes for touring represent a significant advance.

Those Scarpa Defenders appear identical (perhaps they have slightly newer buckles) to the F3. I would consider that a decent HB option and especially so if price is important. The TLT6s are sweet but spendy.