Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT6 MOD Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:00 pm 

Both left and right have done that on mine. Stop drilled the first one when it was only a 1/2" long and it hasn't progressed. The other one got longer before a noticed it so I stop drilled the crack and drilled 3-4 holes along each side of the crack and "stitched" across it with .032 wire. It hasn't changed since either :-D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:57 am 

Any downside on the TLT 6 Mountains with CL liners? I have a pair with the CR liners NIB in my house and a line on a pair with the CL's at a comparable price, and I'm wondering if I should return the CR pair. I'm a weight weenie above all else these days.
Thanks for all the Phantom / TLT mod write-ups, super helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:08 am 

breadbox: I have been using the CLs for most of this season. They save about 3 ounces per boot, and they are also noticeably more flexible than the CR. I have not ridden the CR, just tried them on at home (carpet testing). I would say that the CLs are great, but I also suspect they will not last as long as the beefier CRs. Also, IMO, the CLs could use a little more support in the highback area, and I will probably add a little high density boot fitting foam back there to create a little more support: in harder spring snow I have been noticing the edge of the boot shell pressing a little uncomfortably on my calves on heel side traverses.
I would say if you want to save weight, and you are willing to deal with a liner which may not last as long, then got with the CRs. For best "value" the CRs might be the better choice. The extra flex of the CL is pretty nice though...
I suspect the Dynafit branded CL liner is the same as the stock Palau lightweight liner available direct from Palau. I am not sure, but they sure look the same. If so, the Palau self branded version is much cheaper, and available for direct order from Palau in France.
One other thing, I like to use laces with my liners, and find the Salomon quick lace to work really well for this.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:43 am 

Barrows and others who've modified this boot:

The stock forward lean on this boot maxes out at 18*. Do you know what the max forward lean is in degrees following your modifications?

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:52 am 

Taylor: The TLT6 has two possible lean settings, available by flipping the plate over. I personally prefer the higher lean setting (I do not remember the claimed angles, maybe 18 and 21? But I do not pay much attention to the claimed angles, because the way they measure varies from boot to boot anyway). With the higher lean setting I feel I have just enough lean, but the CL liner I use is a little thinner behind the calf, so the CR results in a little more effective lean angle. I also run a slight (~5 mm or so) heel lift on my rear foot binding, which increases the effective forward lean on my rear foot (in soft bindings I generally run a notch more forward lean on the rear binding).
If one wants more lean than what the TLT6 offers in stock form, I would recommend just shimming the rear of the liner in the spoiler area with some boot fitting foam, there is so much rearward flex in tour mode I doubt anyone would notice a change in touring performance. Alternatively, one could also fashion a replacement lean plate without much problem, and build in a custom lean angle.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:28 am 

Barrows-
Did you consider cutting an angle into the forward lean stop in the boot and a complimentary angle into the pin on the buckle to allow the pin to ride up out of the hole in the forward direction and drop back in and lock in the heel direction?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:35 am 

Jason4 wrote:
Barrows-
Did you consider cutting an angle into the forward lean stop in the boot and a complimentary angle into the pin on the buckle to allow the pin to ride up out of the hole in the forward direction and drop back in and lock in the heel direction?

No, there are a few reasons I would not recommend this approach. I prefer to have a point at which the boot stops bending forward, in order to protect my ankles from over flexion/breaking; the boot is really soft in forward flex when not supported by one of the additional tongues, and I want the forward support at the point where the pin hits the top of the slot in the lean mech. Also, allowing the boot to flex too far may stress the boot itself, bottom the buckles on each other, and perhaps cause breakage.
I would also be concerned that the pin might not find its way back into the hole, the boot would then flex backwards so far, that one's heelside turn could totally blow out: this could be disastrous in some spots.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:12 pm 

barrows wrote:
Taylor: The TLT6 has two possible lean settings, available by flipping the plate over. I personally prefer the higher lean setting (I do not remember the claimed angles, maybe 18 and 21? But I do not pay much attention to the claimed angles, because the way they measure varies from boot to boot anyway). With the higher lean setting I feel I have just enough lean, but the CL liner I use is a little thinner behind the calf, so the CR results in a little more effective lean angle. I also run a slight (~5 mm or so) heel lift on my rear foot binding, which increases the effective forward lean on my rear foot (in soft bindings I generally run a notch more forward lean on the rear binding).
If one wants more lean than what the TLT6 offers in stock form, I would recommend just shimming the rear of the liner in the spoiler area with some boot fitting foam, there is so much rearward flex in tour mode I doubt anyone would notice a change in touring performance. Alternatively, one could also fashion a replacement lean plate without much problem, and build in a custom lean angle.

Thanks.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:38 pm 

Good reasoning Barrows.

I haven't cut my forward lean slot yet, I might do it tonight and go tour on it tomorrow though. I had slotted the forward lean bar on my Primes that I was riding before but never really cared for the hard stop, I think I'd prefer to use an additional tongue to get the forward lean to be progressive without any hard limits forward.

I share your concern with knowing that the pin would drop in 100% of the time going back to a heelside turn and I'm also concerned that return hard to the heels from a fully-forward position could generate enough force to break the pin.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:43 pm 

Jason

Before you mod your Boots, consider trying the Eliminator Tongue. It works for me in that it provides a progressive lean and increase lean angle. I am to adjust the tension of the top strap to effect the stop. Generally I ride the top strap just snug, hence a softer and more forward lean in my stock F1s Search my post for more info on Eliminator Tongue.

see http://www.tognar.com/the-eliminator-custom-tongues-pair/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:29 am 

Brendan wrote:
Thanks for the info Barrows. Been riding unmodified TLT5s without the removable tongue and powerstrap for the last 2 years. Just bought a pair of TLT6 and they are a little stiffer so considering your mod.

Has anyone else had this problem with TLT5s?

Started to crack at the start of this season. Didn't effect me for about a month and then one day started hurting the top of my foot to the point where I can't even put them on anymore. I'm a bit concerned about doing the mod on the 6s incase the same happens. Any suggestions?

This is a Known defect, a problem during plastic molding, I think Dynafit should replace in warranty.

https://www.facebook.com/SkillEquipment