Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT6 MOD Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:12 am 

yo Jvos! I think we need you to contribute to the air with style post..... :rock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:53 am 

Barrows, thanks for all the valuable information!

When testriding TLT5s, I noticed that medial flex is too stiff for me. Therefore I'll have to cut down the cuff.

You chose to cut down the cuff on upper side rather than on lower.
Why would you do it this way, and not on the lower, e.g. like shown here?

(took a screenshot of your picture)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:22 am 

Flo: My boots are flexing just great as they are right now, I do not need more flex (also note I am on the "experimental" Phantom Pho binding, which offers a little more lateral and medial flex).
Certainly you can cut the bottom of the cuff as you have illustrated, and it will certainly allow for additional flex, both medially and torsionally. If you choose to cut the bottom, be careful about it as you do not want to go too far: if you go too far you will expose space between the cuff and the lower boot shell, which may bind and could also allow snow to get into the shell more easily.
If I was designing a boot cuff from scratch, I would have it come out as your illustration notes though. If you do choose to cut there, please let us know how it goes. I suspect a little will go a long way to making the cuff more flexible.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:39 am 

Thanks barrows!

In your experience: what tool works best for cutting?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:10 pm 

I use a dremel with the cutting tool: it looks kind of like a drill bit, but it is not. Then I follow up with a sanding barrel on the dremel, and then smooth things out by hand sanding.
One needs to make sure all cuts are smooth, and that any edges have smooth radii. Sharp cut edges are potential spots where the plastic might start tearing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 am 

Thanks, will use that!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:27 pm 

It looks like most of the pictures in this thread are of the TLT6 Mountain CR. Anyone used these for the Performance CR with the carbon cuff?
Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:52 pm 

Most splitters are looking for a boot which has softer medial and lateral flex, so we choose the pebax cuff models in the TLT5/6 boot. The carbon cuff "Performance" versions are quite a bit stiffer (as well as even more expensive).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:57 pm 

Yeah. I figured that would be the response I'd get. For that very reason.

I'm unfortunately in the very small camp who skis and snowboards and wants to use this boot for both, and for my size and weight I've been told to go for the Performance CR for my nasty skiing habit. There are some pretty good sales going on now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:10 am 

WhitePine wrote:
I'm unfortunately in the very small camp who skis and snowboards and wants to use this boot for both...
Then I would choose the Pebax version and use the booster tongue when skiing. (and leave it at home for snowboarding)

I'm used to stiff soft boots (Fitwell, Flow The One) but would never want a stiffer boot than a stock TLT5/6 Pebax. In fact, without mods it's still too stiff for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:57 am 

Of course what you are suggesting could be done, but if you use one boot for both skiing and snowboarding, you are going to have compromised performance for one, if not both, uses.
Skiing requires a boot that is stiff in the medial and lateral directions (for edge control), and relatively stiff in the forward direction. Snowborading requires a boot which has some flex medially and laterally, and which flexes forward.
My TLT6s are modded enough for more flex both forward, medially, and laterally, that they would ski rather poorly. And the TLT6, even the Performance version in stock form, is one of the softer AT boots available.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:06 am 

I don't want compromises in my boot performance because it will affect my riding too much. So much so, I have three types of boots just for snowboarding. In your position, I would have a pair of modified Mountains for boarding and a pair of Performance for skiing. They last a while so the initial cost could be paid back over time.

Vapor posted his mods in the TLT5 thread that has a heel side stop and an unlocked forward flex for snowboarding. With his mod, you could still ski the boot since he did not cut any material and the locking tab and bar are intact.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:51 am 

Thanks for the info Barrows. Been riding unmodified TLT5s without the removable tongue and powerstrap for the last 2 years. Just bought a pair of TLT6 and they are a little stiffer so considering your mod.

Has anyone else had this problem with TLT5s?

Started to crack at the start of this season. Didn't effect me for about a month and then one day started hurting the top of my foot to the point where I can't even put them on anymore. I'm a bit concerned about doing the mod on the 6s incase the same happens. Any suggestions?