Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soft boots with walk mode: Do they exist?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:42 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
Even in Malamutes and Drivers, I haven't ever really felt that I needed a walk mode. I do use the walk mode on my bindings and that seems to work fine enough for me. I think that unless the walk mode was perfect, it would be more of a nuisance than anything. Just look how long it took them to get it right on ski boots and those still break all the time.

I'd rather have reliability than another bell and whistle that's just gonna break.

+ a million

No need for walk mode in any boot I've ever worn. And why do you want to walk downhill??? That's what your splitboard is for!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:30 pm 

have you ever checked out the salewa mountaineering boots that have a walk mode and a climb mode?

that same device should be put into the back of a snowboard boot...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:55 pm 

BGnight wrote:
No need for walk mode in any boot I've ever worn. And why do you want to walk downhill??? That's what your splitboard is for!

I still haven't found a good wax for muddy trails and performance tests indicate that the left/right express is faster.

Walking downhill with any forward lean makes me appreciate ibuprofen.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:53 pm 

Quote:
have you ever checked out the salewa mountaineering boots that have a walk mode and a climb mode?

Something along these lines makes sense for the beefier/stiffer/rigid sole having "soft" snowboard boots. I wonder how much the stiff upper would reduce the benefits of the salewa flex sole and it it still requires another transition which is the last thing splitters need.

AT boots solve this pretty elegantly w/ the easily adjusted forward lean but those sorta solutions won't easily migrate onto a soft boot, so a different sorta solution is likely required.

I have seen grown ass dudes crying from walking down long approaches wearing stiff soled mountaineering boots (and I've been close myself) so I agree that this is an issue. I am not sure if it is that big of an issue for splitters yet as many folks with stiff soled soft boots don't spend long periods of time in them or don't walk down hill.

Obviously some people have foot issues which make this a significant issue for them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:25 pm 

That's right. It is an issue for walking downhill and for long, flat approaches where a walk mode would sharply improve the efficiency, length, speed and comfort of long striding. Anyone who has used an AT boot can speak to that difference; I rock the softest of old, worn down freestyle softies and that lack is still pronounced.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:03 pm 

I just don't buy it. I toured today, about four hours, up, flat, down, all over also hiked a little in the boots. Never needed a walk mode on my boots. Used the walk mode on the bindings though and it worked well. Malamutes, Karakorams, Solution. Everything worked well and thinking of this thread, I never once needed a walk mode in my boots, honestly. On downhills, I actually want to be set forward. I can use the heel lockdown on the Karakorams and actually weight the tip of the ski and ski.

I can honestly say that I have never needed a walk mode in my boots. But hey, if you guys need it, start cutting up your boots and figure it out. I just don't see any manufacturers putting a whole lot of money into it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:20 am 

shredgnar wrote:
I toured today, about four hours

#totesjelly

shredgnar wrote:
I never once needed a walk mode in my boots

+1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:18 am 

I went for a great tour yesterday too and walked about 8 miles plus skinned about 2000' of vert in my AT boots. It's a fairly typical "first tour of the season" around here and it's one that I did a couple of years ago in Driver Xs and last year I left the split at home and did it in mountaineering boots. There was about 8" of snow in the parking lot, enough to justify trying to skin but as soon as we got into the trees we went to carrying our splits as the coverage on the trail was pretty thin. The "dry" portion of the trail is good for about 1600' of elevation gain over 4 miles so not an especially steep trail.

Surprisingly, the AT boots were the most comfortable to walk out in, my mountaineering boots (Scarpa Charmoz) give me hotspots under my big toes on long downhills, and my snowboard boots kill my knees walking downhill on dry trails. I must have fragile knees and agree that AT boots are not a necessity but I've tried them both and know which I prefer and I'll give a lot more credit to softbooters who have tried both and prefer softboots. There is no denying that there is an advantage to a larger range of motion in the ankle for touring, it's debatable whether it's justified for everyone. To each there own.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:05 am 

Maybe time to make one for those long dry descents that it sounds like you have there, I bet you could make a vertical cut halfway down the back of a soft boot and install eyelets for lacing up the back, keep it laced up and then just undo it once when you run out of snow and start your end of day downhill shlog.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:40 am 

^^^
That might actually be a really good application for a BOA system.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:49 am 

Jason4 wrote:
^^^
That might actually be a really good application for a BOA system.

Exactly. A boa would do it. Not rocket science.

I am thinking of simply installing an industrial zipper along the length of the vertical seam on the back of my soft boot upper.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:05 pm 

I really do not understand why boots like the Deeluxe Spark and Fitwell do not allow for some rearward flex, it seems ridiculous.
After all, the highback is there to provide the heel side support, the rear shaft of the boot itself need not be rigid at all.
Walking around on flats or downhill is awkward without some rear flex, and scrambling on rocks can be dicey as well. If they are going to make soft boots specifically targeted at backcountry riders, they should allow for some rearward flex.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:12 pm 

I thought about a zipper, it would have to stop above your highback, and might always creep down if it doesn't have that tab that locks when folded down.

http://www.amazon.com/Inov-8-Mens-X-Talon-Lightweight-Trail-Runner/dp/B003TSEM0Y

13oz for a pair, and so red!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next