Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scarpa Spirit 4
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:14 pm 

I am getting serious about trying HBs and want to use my old AT stuff that hasn't seen much play for a while.

So far, I have done this:
  • swap black tongue for green one
  • remove calf booster piece velcro-ed to the back of the intuition liner
  • remove power strap
  • remove Both lower buckles (toe + arch)

Trying for fit and flex, they seem like they will ride very well for pow in walk mode, and possibly even steep ice. I may need to lock to ski mode for the gnar.

Do you think leaving just two (med + top) buckles is increasing the chance of strap failure from increased load?

How do people seal holes from removing the buckles on the lower boot? I think some shorter bolts with a rubber washer should do?

From what I can tell, I get enough forward mobility without modifying the back bar. Not so sure about lateral flex, but they don't seem any stiffer than my Deeluxe Sparks. I am not convinced I want to cut cuff... Haven't played with canting yet, and forward lean is at max.

Things are coming together as I already fit my Onyx toe pieces to Dynafit adapters from Spark. The only missing piece is the HB binders. Are the Voile MTN Plates so bad?

I am also consiering buying a full Dynafit set so that I can also lock heels for flats and sidestepping...

Cheers
Ivo

Post subject: Re: Scarpa Spirit 4
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:42 pm 

Quote:
I am also considering buying a full Dynafit set so that I can also lock heels for flats and sidestepping...

Please look over this SB thread: http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=dynafit+toe+heel

Your stance width will determine whether this is possible. With a 20 1/2 inch stance-width a full dynafit binding was not possible for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:56 pm 

Powder_Rider wrote:
Quote:
I am also considering buying a full Dynafit set so that I can also lock heels for flats and sidestepping...

Please look over this SB thread: http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=dynafit+toe+heel

Your stance width will determine whether for you this is possible. With a 20 1/2 inch stance-width a full dynafit binding was not possible for me.

Yupp, a wide stance, and there has to be some trade-off to adjustability.

Phantom Alpha
Dynafit One

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:56 am 

Yes, thanks - I have seen the post.

Not sure if I can do it, but want to try. Boots aren't small, and stance isn't too wide either. If nothing else, will stick with toe pieces only for better skinning.

The ideas to mount with a bit of offset, and also trim pucks are certainly on my list. Want to avoid offset, even though the person who did it said that there's no perceivable disadvantage. Cutting the puck's corner, on the other hand, should be a no-brainer

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:38 pm 

As you can see on the photos I could have gone further back, and for many riders this is of little disadvantage since the stance on the back foot is often less angled than the front foot, however, in terms of skinning and split skiing, it is of advantage to be close to the "correct" position in relation to the sidecut and balance of each ski. As you used to be a skier you should be familiar with this :)

The masking tape you can see on the photo I used to mark the sidecut length to find the centre, then subtract the setback for the board (4cm for the odin), and position the corresponding point marked on the skiboot as close as possible to this point (herein the trade off).

To be honest, I have had little advantage of this setup. Kefflers idea with using a skistrap would be an adequate option for me - in particular since you can undo it without stepping out of your toepiece.

A cool idea is what powder rider was looking into - sticking tele bindings on. I like the look of these one's from atk: http://www.atkrace.it/eng/newmark.html

Regaring modifying the walk mode/forward lean bar on the boots, on my F3s it was really easy to completely remove the entire mechanism, then drill out the forward lean holes to become one slot - and then re-mount the mechanism. And it was well worth it. I also cut down the cuff and the "highbacks". Can take some photos if you are interested?

Next planned mod is to increase lateral, but will wait until I have a few days on new setup before I do more...may have got a little carried away on the highbacks...

Phantom Alpha
Dynafit One

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:09 am 

Wow NorwegianDan - I had never seen the ski strap idea! This is giving me food for thought, for sure - thanks!

Yes, please post some photos when you get a chance

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:36 am 

Hi Lern,
you have to use Maruelli binding that need less space between plates.
You can also have a board with a better balance.

They are super light!!

http://www.maruelli.com/M2SPLITBOARD/M2SPLITBOARD.htm

M

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:15 am 

Please note: Voile is coming out with canted pucks in a couple of weeks. Canting can help with a wider stance.

Also I suspect, but not sure if Phantoms would help with creating a wider stance. I have not tried Phantoms yet! Wide stance is needed for a full mounted Dynafit binding (Toe and Heel).

If your interested in using a stiff Scarpa Spirit 4 (4 buckle boot), try the Tongar Eliminator tongue without modification (look for my posted on the Eliminator tongue. See if a local ski shop has these available to carpet test. [Stiff Scarpa Spirit 4 boots compared to my Scarpa F1]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:57 pm 

Lernr
I too had to mod the puck to get the angles right

Also had to use two single slot pucks to get the angle.

Have since mounted some of my own pucks to get the 5 deg cant on the rear foot.

Cheers

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:56 pm 

Thank you all for the advice!

I am still sorting things out. Currently waiting on the MTN plates to start experimenting what feels OK for stance with existing boots. If things don't feel OK, I'll probably seriously consider shaving boot material :) The Plates are mostly for experimentation, at $55 not a big investment for testing. Once I figure things out, I'd love to sell the plates and get a good set of bindings, for example the ones FirstLight designed, or Phantoms.

My hard boot's BSL seems to be 322mm and soft boot stance is just under 23" but I am not sure if I'll be able to maintain the angles and all with the hard boots. With testing, I'll decide if I can use the current touring holes with an adapter or if I want to get new touring holes with Quiver Killers, and also do I really want the heel lock with Dynafits or can I get by with the ski strap idea...

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:09 am 

lernr wrote:
Wow NorwegianDan - I had never seen the ski strap idea! This is giving me food for thought, for sure - thanks!

Yes, please post some photos when you get a chance

Cheers
Ivo

Sorry it took a while.

I don't think I have broken any new ground here, but still - hope it helps :)

Drill out the 2 little holes and the mech comes out:

File down the tabs and the mech slides off the bar:

I just "opened" the space between the two holes to become one slot (sorry no photo). You can easily to more forward or backward. Should be easy to find replacement bars if you mess it up.

Measuring up how far forward you can go before the upper pops over the lower shell. This is virtually impossible when liner is in and boot is strapped as you have to go really far).

New autumn mods...may have gotten carried awaywith the highbacks..:

Phantom Alpha
Dynafit One

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:40 pm 

NorwegianDan has nice pics of the rear bar for the Scarpa boot.
I have done the same thing with 'slotting' the rear bar on the Scarpa 4 and the Scarpa Rush, and it would appear as though Scarpa uses the same bar on all these boots.
I got too aggressive with the dremel on my Spirit 4s, but if you call Scarpa, they will send you (fast!) replacements for $5 a piece.
I would recommend getting the 4 screws that hold each walk mode unit in place as well.

Cheers,
-Patrick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:41 pm 

Wow again, NorwegianDan - these highbacks :shock: Thanks for the photos and advice

Patrick, did you shave lots of back? What about the sides?

I got the MTN plates, so stance seems OK and I can't wait to go out and test the hard boot setup with my current mods. Feels OK on the floor but will see on snow.

Cheers
Ivo