Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: hard boot AIRS WITH STYLE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:48 am 

UTAH wrote:
Your kinda missing the point. Ask BGnight to post pics of stinky grabs on his Sportivas or Deeluxes and your not going to get much if anything at all because "stiff softs" which is an oxy moron are not going to perform like a regular soft boot. Which is why my Deeluxes sit on the shelf and will never be used again and I'm currently using 7 year old vans kick me downs for soft boots and looking to purchase some Dynafit TLT's as soon as I get the bones to replace my worn out MLT's. The reason you move to this set-up is because you want to break trail and set the boot for guys like BG while feeling confident on gnarly shit. Not everyday is a pow day and if you want to go purely backcountry and retire your resort riding days your going to have to accept this fact. For all around performance, bang for you buck, quality of life reasons TLT's are just the way to go but it's not going to improve jib factor.

LOL...wow, just wow. :lol:
You'll never see a vid on here because none exist that show what your looking for. They'll keep referring to Voshburg making lazy turns in perfect pow as their only video evidence (even that video shows the biomechanical limitations of hard boot riding) Pictures are worthless and the one's shown have done a terrible job of showing steeze. I don't know why Utah cares about my riding. I don't claim to be some steezy hucker. I'm 41. I just like to go downhill in the funnest way possible. I can't do a 180 without falling on my ass, hardboots or not. I get why hardboots are good for the up and I'm super jealous of the current weight advantages but they are entirely unnecessary unless you're racing skiers in Utah to see who can do the most powder farming in a day. If I get up 10 minutes later on a big, heavy mountaineering line than a hardbooter or a skier who cares? I busted my ass all day and now my set up has the advantage on the important part.

Not that you care but I've never used Sportivas or Deeluxes and the boots I use now are VERY flexible in the ankle. Even more so T1's, malamutes, driver x's, etc...They're stiff in the SOLE foolio. Where it matters. And that doesn't affect steeze at all. No one is talking about stiffness in lateral or fore/aft flex you kooks.

UTAH: "The reason you move to this set-up is because you want to break trail and set the boot for guys like BG while feeling confident on gnarly shit":

Yeah, cuz you can't beat skiers up steep firm snow in softies :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:45 pm 

Here's me on my 2nd day with the TLT5's getting a decent toe-side slash laid out.

I think it really comes down to angles. Classic hard-booters always ran +\+ angles, which makes you look quite janky and almost knock kneed. I run a +25/-6 set up and that allows for more flexibility and more steeze.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:15 pm 

BGnight wrote:

I began writing a very long post about this, but then...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:55 pm 

You win internet points today. I love XKCD. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:14 pm 

i was blasting 6 ft + frontside airs in my tlts at windells camp this summer (with an ice ax in my hand) people didnt know what hit em. sorry no pics, but here is a nice frontside air out of a natty quarter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:27 pm 

BG you took that all wrong it was just in good fun and completely out of respect. You know just dishing it back, talking shit like guys do. I musta hit a sore spot when we starting talking about your 180's. And yes for sure in the Wasatch you have to race every one to the goods including hippies on tele gear, sherpa rando racers, PowderWhores, not to even mention the heli turds. No one has a job here, I kid you not. And we do farm turns but that's out of respect for others. And I don't care about your riding I used your name specifically because you've talked shit in every hardboot related thread for the last 5 years. What's the saying "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen". Take care.

^^^^^^Sick Chris. Super stylee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:52 pm 

When I lived in mammoth I would see chelone miller blasting 15 foot airs in his boarder cross hb setup out of the super pipe. It was always super impressive, but of course he was a pro.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:00 pm 

Once again it's Aggro-October at sb.com!!! :duel: :poke: :deadhorse:

I know everyone is jonesing for snow but don't take it out on each other. Go push a hippie down a staircase instead.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:43 am 

chris- what kind of soft boots have you ridden and can you give me a flex comparison? It sounds and looks like your one of those that wants to catch some air!

Anyone else notice that most of these style pictures are of big wave slash turns..and not airs? just saying.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:59 am 

I'm gonna argue that it's the indian, not the arrow.

Let's do an experiment, somebody give me a set of hardboots (size 29.5) and some Phantoms, and I'll go throw a good 'ol fashioned nasty-steezy method within a day. I ain't scuuured.

All this debate is just you guys projecting your lack-of-snow-frustration at a computer screen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:16 am 

cometogether wrote:

Anyone else notice that most of these style pictures are of big wave slash turns..and not airs? just saying.

For one, airs don't always have a place in the backcountry. Unknown landings, increased risk of triggering a slide and difficult extraction if you get hurt are a couple reasons to play it a bit safer. Unless we're lapping a spot and I know what the landing is, I'm not going to blindly launch off something. There's been plenty of times I've looked back up a line and thought "I guess I could've hit that".

Although, this may just be my excuse for not growing up a park rat and therefore, having minimal freestyle skills. :scratch:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:33 am 

MountainDog wrote:
cometogether wrote:

For one, airs don't always have a place in the backcountry. Unknown landings, increased risk of triggering a slide and difficult extraction if you get hurt are a couple reasons to play it a bit safer. Unless we're lapping a spot and I know what the landing is, I'm not going to blindly launch off something. There's been plenty of times I've looked back up a line and thought "I guess I could've hit that".

Although, this may just be my excuse for not growing up a park rat and therefore, having minimal freestyle skills. :scratch:

Exactly. Slackcountry airs are one thing but if you're hucking 15+ footers way out in the boonies you're asking for trouble. One bad landing and you have an epic life or death situation on your hands. No one ever thinks of it in the moment. We've all done it though. I honestly don't get why OP cares about airing with hardboots. There's no place or situation where you'd need hardboots to get to a place you'd be hucking airs. If you're hucking airs way way out with no camera crew or support you're an idiot and I can't imagine anyone would want to partner up with someone who'd recklessly put themselves at risk.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:37 am 

UTAH wrote:
BG you took that all wrong it was just in good fun and completely out of respect. You know just dishing it back, talking shit like guys do. I musta hit a sore spot when we starting talking about your 180's. And yes for sure in the Wasatch you have to race every one to the goods including hippies on tele gear, sherpa rando racers, PowderWhores, not to even mention the heli turds. No one has a job here, I kid you not. And we do farm turns but that's out of respect for others. And I don't care about your riding I used your name specifically because you've talked shit in every hardboot related thread for the last 5 years. What's the saying "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen". Take care.

^^^^^^Sick Chris. Super stylee

Lol, what did I take wrong? You talked shit. I talked shit. Don't get defensive cuz i owned you on the internets :mrgreen: (cuz I'm right :wink: )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next