Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TLT 5 or TLT 6?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:42 am 

I am a recent splitboard convertee, and have been shopping equipment for the upcoming season this autumn.
For boots I had my eyes on the TLT 6, until I found a pair of new TLT 5s online for about 40% off the price of a new pair of TLT 6s.

Should I go for the TLT 5, or is the TLT 6 worth the higher price?

Post subject: Re: TLT 5 or TLT 6?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:58 pm 

Seems there is no short answer:

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15764

Phantom Alpha
Dynafit One

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:25 am 

Yes, from what i gather (having no hard-boot experience :? ) tlt5's are less stiff than tlt6's thus better for snowboarding.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:23 pm 

Here is a copy of my post in the other topic:

Quote:
Anyway, today I found the TLT6s in a shop in London. Strange, because this same shop (Ellis Brigham at Covent Garden) didn't have the 5s last season, due to almost non-existent demand for touring setups in the UK, as the manager explained back then. They had the One though.
Anyway, this year they have TLT6 Mountain. It goes for £500 ($810, while the Vulcan - the highest end Dynafit boot goes for £750!)! Aesthetically it looks slicker and better than the 5 IMHO.
I really didn't notice the lack of Actiflex to be noticeable on the carpet walk in one boot, that I did. This was a big concern for me, as I thought that it made a difference in the 5.

A vast improvement in my opinion - the middle buckle is adjustable! For the entire last season it seemed to me that this was a big drawback, because in my case I am somewhere in between the available settings.

The liner looks pretty much the same as the European liner in the 5, maybe slightly lighter.

As I mentioned I only did a brief carpet walk in one boot, but it seems more or less the same as the 5 and I can actually notice that it is roomier. But I was with thin summer socks, while 95% of the time i had the 5s on my feet it was with ski socks.

In recap - I believe that stocking on leftover TLT5s is unnecessary. On the other hand, if you find 5 on the cheap you shouldn't have concerns picking it over the 6.

I don't think there is much stiffness difference, but this is very subjective opinion, as las I wore the 5s in April and I only walk around a few steps with only one 6 put on. I plan to bring my 5s and compare them side to side in the shop, but this would not happen until around January, as snow equipment is dead weight to bring in the UK.