Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Not stoked on my Malamutes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:24 am 

Funny, I used to use F24s and loved them. And now I like my Malamutes a lot - don't *love* them, but they are just a few minor changes away from being perfect for me. Mainly, because they've been so dependable for me in all kinds of crazy snow and long ass hikes. I've tromped for miles over volcanic rocks and till, glacial riverbeds full of downed trees, hiked along the ocean and in saltwater - and whether booting skinning or riding the Mutes have done what's been asked of them. I prolly have close to 100 days on my pair and they are holding up.

But I seem to remember F22s being softer and more jibby than the F24s. So, different strokes for different folks.

My favorite backcountry gaper experience ever was finding out 7 miles from the trailhead on a cold night (10F, cold by CA standards) that "F" stands for "FUSION" non-removable liner. So much for getting those liners into my bag with me. Those fuckers froze solid that night, took me 5 minutes to contort my feet into them the next day, and when I did my feet instantly went numb for the rest of the tour. Doh. I'm never buying a boot with a non-removable liner ever again!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:25 am 

I'm on my fourth pair of synapse, non boa types that have to be special ordered every year. They last about a season before they start leaking and pack out (About a half season longer than any burton junk I used to ride). Interesting to me that no one mentions these as an option. Malamutes are way too stiff and the f22's are a resort boot at best. I really try and stay away from Solomon as much as possible (Still have a copy of tws from way back where they were quoted as saying "Snowboarding is a fad and not worth investing $ and r&d on". That said, every year I put on a new pair and forget there new. Which is nice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:41 am 

My only complaint with my 'mutes is the shell size is about an inch longer than the same size in my old burtons. Having a big foot, this means increased toe drag. Looking at going back to Drivers or something similar with a smaller footprint, literally. Then maybe I can ride a board that is less than 26 cm!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:49 am 

I'm in the process of looking at new boots. I am on my second pair of malamutes and have been quite pleased with them. Regarding the heel stuff, I wear thick wool socks and they just seem to be all bunched up at the heel at the end of the day, but never had any chaffing. But the outer pull strings are way stretched out and the inner heel lock is also stretched almost to the point of not connecting to the Velcro. Anybody have different boots for resort riding and hiking? Thinking malamutes may not be the best choice for me at the resort. Anybody split with thirty two boots?