Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: happy... medium--> sidehill solution.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 am 
we all know splitboarding w softboots is great for downhill and nice skin trax BUT!
they provide very little sidehill stability...
hard boots make you turn from the knee so that's not an option for me...
I like to use my ankle to turn like on my (skateboard ) and surfboard.
so.. heres a solution older leather telemark boots I have been touring for years w the old merrel red cuff leather boots.. cut off the tele toe part and ... there you have it side hill... with good soft ankle turning...
no your not gonna hold on 40 degree world cup ice but still helps mucho over pure soft boots.

A HAPPY MEDIUM

last year i busted out my stepin..burtons to tour with but ... it better be soft they ... suck on sidehill.

Post subject: Re: happy... medium--> sidehill solution.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:12 am 

starspliter wrote:
we all know splitboarding w softboots is great for downhill and nice skin trax BUT!
they provide very little sidehill stability...
hard boots make you turn from the knee so that's not an option for me...
I like to use my ankle to turn like on my (skateboard ) and surfboard.
so.. heres a solution older leather telemark boots I have been touring for years w the old merrel red cuff leather boots.. cut off the tele toe part and ... there you have it side hill... with good soft ankle turning...
no your not gonna hold on 40 degree world cup ice but still helps mucho over pure soft boots.

A HAPPY MEDIUM

last year i busted out my stepin..burtons to tour with but ... it better be soft they ... suck on sidehill.

You're second line is incorrect, and a common misconception amongst riders who have never ridden a properly set up hard boot splitboard system. You are welcome to choose any system you prefer, but ignorant statements like this do not help people make informed solutions. I ride hard boots for all of my snowboarding, and I can articulate my ankles quite nicely. I come from a skateboarding background, and would never tolerate a boot/biding system which immobilized my ankles. I love making surfy slashes, and throwing laybacks on banks, and I would never choose a system which hinders those moves.
The real problem with sidehilling on splitboard is that the board is quite wide, a boot with a stiffer cuff helps, as do some binding types, but the width of the board is the real hinderance, and, sometimes the depth of the sidecut is a problem too (ever notice how the straight edge holds more reliably on an icy side hill). the good news is that even skiers using fat skis now experience a similar problem! So if you tour with skiers, encourage them to ride fat skis, and then you may be able to choose your routes to avoid really extended hard snow sidehilling when possible.
Ski crampons can help as well, and are advised if you tour in places where extended hard snow skinning are expected.

It is cool that you have found a boot solution which works for you, I remember all manner of tele boots from back in the day, with a bunch of frankenboots from my tele partners, Lange cuffs on leather tele boots… etc. The problem with all these leather based boots is that one of them weighs more than a pair of my TLT5s, or regular soft boots.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:40 pm 

barrows wrote:
You're second line is incorrect, and a common misconception amongst riders who have never ridden a properly set up hard boot splitboard system. You are welcome to choose any system you prefer, but ignorant statements like this do not help people make informed solutions.

Welcome to the forum Starsplitter. You have just pissed off the resident hard boot nazi!

You shall be demoted to riding east coast crud in a banana-man suit :bananas:

Long live snowboard boots!

For the love of God and all of our sanity, let it snow already.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:17 pm 

Ignore Barrows. I rode HBs and they sucked.

Carry on.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:17 pm 

My 1st snowboard boots circa 86, wasn't splitting then (whacked to the back) and they SUCKED for kicking steps but they surfed great.
still have'em, should bust'em out this season

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:58 pm 

skiers going soft...
good idea? bad idea?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:46 am 
cool pic those are ... the one's
they are like wearing nice bedroom slippers in the backcountry
tell me that hard boots feel like this...I doubt it...

i don't own crampons and would not want um .. i tour powder ONLY!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:57 am 

Actually 2-3 buckle ultra-light AT or tele (on the soft end of the spectrum) w/molded liners are every bit as comfortable as my beloved Merrel "noodle toes" with the advantage of greater cuff travel in walk mode.
The bellowed toes on f1-f3 and softer teles are nice for hiking/scrambling, more so than k2 t1/driver/malamute, without the need for pressure over the top of the foot to stay on the board.

Cutting the toes back on some used scarpa t2-t3 garmont excursion/veloce, and adding a new molded liner is a cheap alternative to $500+ rando boots.