Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BOA, speed lace, or standard lace.....what do you prefer?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:40 am 

I currently ride standard lace boots (Ride RFL) and have been kicking around ideas for my next pair of boots. I really like my standard laces, but seem like its not the best for the backcountry. Any time I'm needing to tighten my boots, I gotta take gloves off to do so. I've had both BOA and speed lace boots before and don't have anything against either, but am curious to hear others opinions on the matter. So what do you guys prefer for your boots on the BC?

Post subject: Re: BOA, speed lace, or standard lace.....what do you prefer?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:14 am 

I hate my Salomon Malamute lacing system, too bad you can change it out. Boots seem nice so far though and warm.

The Burton Driver system was not too bad, but neither system is easy (or possible) to repair on the trail. Drivers are light and stiff, but uncomfortable.

The BOA have some coolness to it, but some drawbacks too. Made in Colorado :thumpsup:. Super fast to loosen at the end of the day, or when cramping. But they are slow and weird to tighten, easy to over-tighten, and the big knob seems to always be in the way. Plus that funky ratcheting noise, wreent... wreent... wreent...

At the end of the day, I wish for traditional laces (with a spare in my pack). Lace locks are nice over the instep to keep them from loosening while your getting the right tightness. Ice Hockey skates have these and they would great on snowboard boots.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm 

I prefer laces over other speed lacing system as regular laces are easy to repair in the field. {Actually I prefer AT boots (hard boots). :wink: }

Laces work just as well as a BOA, if you know how to tie your boots correctly

See:

Also, make sure the bow-knot is tied like a square-knot and not a granny knot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:19 pm 

Buckles. Laces are a weakness of soft boots, it would be nice to see some different options for soft boots though: I have used BOA on cycling shoes, sometimes BOA breaks. The BOA system is serviceable, but would be really hard to fix in the field in the cold. Maybe a beefier two zone BOA system could be developed with an emphasis on durability: right now I would not trust current BOA systems in the backcountry. At least traditional (not internal) lace systems are easy to replace in the field when something breaks…
I have bent some hard boot buckles in the field and been able to bend them back into place (and then replace the weakened buckle at home after the tour), but in 20 years of hard boot riding have never fully broken a buckle in the field. I do carry one spare buckle now for the instep buckle, it is very light and easy to replace (I mount them with a blind nut and screw instead of rivets) if I have to.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:14 am 

I picked up a pair if K2 T1 boots that use a boa to snug down the inner liner, and traditional laces on the outer.
I love them!
If the boa on the inner breaks (and mine did after just 5 days, but it was an easy fix) the boot is still fine, you can more or less compensate for it by tightening the laces harder.
The combination is a winner for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:33 pm 

A little late to this, and I'm sure I can talk to you more in person in just a week about my boa experience, but here goes anyway.

I have boa laces on one pair of boots that I strictly use in bounds since they're old and pretty soft now. I've had them for over 4 years now, and the boa system has been flawless. I love tightening on the go, I typically have to use the boa to make minor adjustments mid-day.

I just got a set of the k2 t1 boots. Standard lace up, so I can easily tie a knot and replace the lace if I break a pair on a day splitting. They have a boa system on an internal "ankle strap" if you will, that helps to make the boot snug as things loosen up during the day. I've only had a few days on the new boots, but the boa ankle adjustment seems to be good enough that I don't need to re-lace mid-day like I used to with my lace up boots years back, and with my other boa laced boots.

While I'm not completely sold on these boots yet, the lace up gives me piece of mind that I could just knot some of my paracord onto the end of a ripped lace to get me home from a day of splitting, vs having to use duct tape to hold my boa boots together if that system fails in the BC.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 am 

Laces loosen and stretch as the boot packs in for the day. So do BOA laces. Except that it takes a second to tighten them back up.

I've been using BOA lacing for the past three seasons. With little complaints. I've broken 3-4 laces over that time. One time in the field. The fix for the day was to wrap a voile strap around my upper boot and crank it up. Worked great actually. +1 for Voile straps.

The Laces are relatively easy to replace, but you wouldn't want to do it in the the field. You have to pay a little more attention to how you treat your boots when your feet are out of them. Two of my broken laces were due to my negligence. Not tightening up the laces after I took my boots off. So I kinked them and they started to fray. So far on my most recent pair of Insanos the cables seem to be holding up after about 50 days. One will probably break now that I brought it up, but oh well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:47 am 

Dual BOA! (separate lacing for forefoot and upper ankle section)

I can easily adjust strength of lacing any time, grabbing the BOA wheels from the outside without pulling my pants up.
During uphill to get more edge hold on traverses, before starting to the downhill etc.

And I'm not afraid at all, to destroy a Boa lace on tour. There's still the other lace anyway...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:32 am 

I would like to see a BOA on the inner liner, and a traditional lace on the outside. BOAs become overstressed when tightening stiff outer shells. This leads to fatigue and wear on the system and eventually failure of either the cable or the channels that the cable runs through. On the inner though, it is perfect. You can tighten and lock the inner liner without it coming loose over the day. You can also access it without unlacing the shell.

For the outer shell, I've always preferred the traditional lacing. Carry a pair of hockey laces in the pack for backup. I can get them as tight as I want, if they break I don't have to go talk to some douchebag shop monkey to get another pair. My malamutes are close, with their lacing system replaced with regular laces.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:44 pm 

STANDARD LACES TILL DEATH!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:30 am 

I'm in the speed lace or hard boots/buckles camp. I don't have anything against Boas but my favorite boots don't have them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:18 am 

Being Australian (and therefore a little slow :? ) and not having grown up playing ice hockey I take 3 years to do up laces so I have speed laces (driver X) and I love them as thus far they haven't snapped (4 years old / 50 days on 'em last year) and I thank whichever god stops them from breaking that they've never broken in the middle of a glacier on a multiday hut overnighter. Guess I'd just MacGyver them like killclimbz suggested and hope for the best?

Killclimbz wrote:
One time in the field. The fix for the day was to wrap a voile strap around my upper boot and crank it up. Worked great actually. +1 for Voile straps.

If I was a hard-booter I'd make some horrendously derogatory statement about how terrible soft boots are and try and turn this thread into a hardboot vs softboot shit slinging match. Also, I just wanted to have an excuse to use the "flogging the dead horse" smilie i just found for the first time. :shit: :deadhorse:

Half arsed apologies for the thread drift...