Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: new boots - Dynafit One
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:05 am 

Just picked up the Dynafit one's!

Tried the TLT6, but no chance for me. Poor fit for my wide foot is one thing, something good bootfitting might fix - but I also had substantial heel lift in them. So when I tried the One's and felt the great heel retition the weight savings wasn't that important anymore. Well made boot, soft in the right places & stiff in the right places.

Coming from the F3s with the soft flexy toebox, these are a game changer for touring :thumpsup: You can really get an edge in. Also, I went a little over board modding the F3s :roll: :shock: so I am enjoying having high-back again :lol:

I ride them stock, not mods at all. And with the right stance and canting I prefer it. Great control, always know where my edges are. Lots of power, but still playful enough to ollie and slide banks. I am currently running approx duck 10/10 stance and have become a big fan of riding with bent knees leaning into my boots, as opposed to the more standing up right style I used to. So I like having the power strap there, but may do a little chopping to give some more lateral movement. Funny running a freestyle duck stance with bent knees and hardboots, but feels really good.

Wish Dynafit had a forward lean adjuster with slightly less angle, or even an ajdustable one. May not be that hard to make one...worth a shot anyway.

Just my :twocents: but for me I don't think the forward lean modification that many people are doing is the way to go - I don't want the movement, but I would like to adjust the angle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:08 pm 

NorwegianDan wrote:
Just my :twocents: but for me I don't think the forward lean modification that many people are doing is the way to go - I don't want the movement, but I would like to adjust the angle.

I am curious how much you weigh?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:23 pm 

I cannot imagine being able to ride really well in variable terrain/snow conditions without slotting the forward lean adjuster in the Dynafit One or TLT5/6. Being able to bend the ankle forward is critical for being able to absorb terrain and snow irregularities. I test rode my TLT5s in perfect powder before I slotted the lean mech, and they worked fine, but as soon as I had to absorb and bumps in the terrain, or adjust to variable snow, I knew I needed the lean mech slotted.
I too think the ONE could be made into a really fine riding boot, particularly the buckles on the lower shell are better for locking the heel in than those stock on the TLT5/6, I move the buckle side fixing point slightly back on the TLT boots to provide for better heel hold, and better comfort for my foot.
The ONE also has more more volume, which makes it a good choice to start with for those who may be venturing to super cold climates, like an Alaskan Expedition for example...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:40 am 

buell wrote:
NorwegianDan wrote:

I am curious how much you weigh?

I am around 90kgs (around 200lbs) + gear.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:17 am 

barrows wrote:
Being able to bend the ankle forward is critical for being able to absorb terrain and snow irregularities.

It certainly takes some getting used to! However, riding into the boot with my skins with bent knees does that shock absorbing for me. I found the one has the perfect flex to allow this. For me (with gear) :)

I have been thinking alot about how skiers need to get forward into the boot to get power into their skis. I found that with the slotted forward lean you lose some of that as you need to go so much further forward before you reach the stop. In return ofcourse, you get more of that surfy feel.

A better solution may be a forward lean lock that flexes itself. I made some out of POM last night with less angle, maybe I will try and make some out of some 5mm rubber too. Thoughts on that? Other materials?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QZd1ziTk3pMeN8QZXSgZfnk1DAnm5xcj9FIwrj0l1j4?feat=directlink

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:57 am 

Dan, I am a little confused? Are you saying that you are not modding the forward lean mech so that the split skiing performance will be better (the ability to put weight forward into the skis)? For sure I undertsand that, and it is true that while split skiing, with the mod, one has to flex the boot a little deeper to get that forward weighting on the skis: I compensate for that by buckling the cuff a little tighter when i split ski.
I hear what you are saying about modding the lean mech to provide some resistance to forward flex: I have ridden some boots which uses this method. The old Raichle "Snowboarder" used an elastomer in the lean mech to provide forward flex resistance, and most of the snowboard racing and free carving hard boots appear to use large springs (too heavy IMO for backcountry use) in the lean mechs to do this.
I prefer for the tongue of the boot to regulate forward flex. There are a lot of different flexing tongues out there which could be tried. I am about to try an experiment with my old TLT5s, using the soft optional tongue of the TLT6 to see if it gives me a smoother and more progressive forward flex.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:08 am 

barrows wrote:
Dan, I am a little confused? Are you saying that you are not modding the forward lean mech so that the split skiing performance will be better (the ability to put weight forward into the skis)?

No, I was actually thinking of when riding. Somehow something feels right about leaning into the boot, as opposed to standing more upright and "free". I'm still experimenting, and I might add it has been warm and I have been pretty heavily loaded with gear these first days on my boots.

barrows wrote:
I hear what you are saying about modding the lean mech to provide some resistance to forward flex: I have ridden some boots which uses this method. The old Raichle "Snowboarder" used an elastomer in the lean mech to provide forward flex resistance, and most of the snowboard racing and free carving hard boots appear to use large springs (too heavy IMO for backcountry use) in the lean mechs to do this.

I agree, the bts type systems are too much. Not only heavy but more stuff than can break. Some way of using the natural flex of different materials like that raichle seems like a better route. I will try to make some dynafit slots from rubber and see if that works.

barrows wrote:
I prefer for the tongue of the boot to regulate forward flex. There are a lot of different flexing tongues out there which could be tried. I am about to try an experiment with my old TLT5s, using the soft optional tongue of the TLT6 to see if it gives me a smoother and more progressive forward flex.

I found the forward flex of the one perfect right out of the box. With the stop engaged it seems the whole boot is flexing.

What do you mean when you say you want a more progressive forward flex?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:22 pm 

yah the tabs on the inside of the cuff butt up on the lower shell so it is the whole boot that flexes.
at 200# i could see them feeling pretty soft to you...
regarding your lack of interest in adding forward range of motion, potentially you don't ride much soft snow there? soft i mean deep... driving your edge is all good but if theres only pow pushing back, the edge can dive. and I'm not sure how you perceive that the mods, which give more fwd range of motion, translate into "standing more upright"? the fwd flex mod results in the same flex, but further forward... i.e. ankles and knees bent more. you can lean on your shins same same, but in a more flexed position... less upright.
I'm also not sure about your heel side issues, i hear you saying you like to drive toe side turns with your knees bent, but on heel side you must end up pretty straight legged, if the 15deg (less lean option) isn't little enough?? you could just file that down to whatever height you like, it wouldn't change where the forward flex engages on toeside. i wouldn't tho!! more fwd lean on your highback means more power to your heel edge, while allowing your knees to stay bent, as they should be.
also i'm a bit skeptical about the rubber slots, theres a multiplication of forces with the cuff and the spoiler acting in shear, so you need some structural strength, esp at 200#! i thought about gluing a piece of hard rubber to the bottom surface of the slot, to add forward lean and give a softer stop to the high back, but with the buckle slamming in there every time it gets done up i don't expect it would last too long.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:03 pm 

I also got the One - intended for ski use.

However, since I haven't punched and modded my brand new TLT5 yet, it is likely that I'll try to split in the Ones. The TLT5 are a size smaller and need work before I take them out.

Question for the people who use the One: what do you think about ride mode with the top buckle locked but with maximum looseness? (I don't want to hack the Ones as I want to ski them, plan to butch the TLT5 after / if I can get them to feel good with the bootfitter)

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:02 am 

I recently got a pair of Ones and found a local bootfitter who had the tools and the interest in doing what I needed. They've been stretched for width and after one 2-hour tour I think they'll need just a little more punch in the midfoot. Once they fit my foot I drilled out the rivets on the power straps and tossed them in the bin of spare parts. I also ground out the cuff stops on the cuff and left the stops alone on the scaffo.

I think that they flexed pretty well at my weight, 200lbs plus gear, and I don't think I will file out the forward lean stop. As is they ride much better than my BD Primes and with minimal work. I'll probably start to slowly cut down the cuff for more medial flex but I doubt I'll have to take off very much. Of course, these are stiffer flexing over the toes than my Driver Xs but that's what I wanted, and much stiffer laterally/medially which isn't what I want but I'll be giving up some traversing ability for the extra flex.

If you only need to get by for a couple of tours in the One I think you'll be ok as long as you accept that they aren't optimized.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:45 pm 

Sounds good. I hope to try them around July 4th and will share experience

Cheers
Ivo