The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new boots - Dynafit One
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:25 am 

werd!
got some new boots!
woot woot!!!
:bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :disco: :disco: :disco: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :thumpsup:

super sweet, really nice boot, same same like the TLT5's but different
same great articulation in walk mode, lets ya really move, and quite a light boot for what ya get
different is a wider fit, DIN standard (AT) soles, Pebax instead of Grilamid (more flex), a cushier liner, better buckles incl. a 2nd well positioned buckle on the lower shell, and a bit more beef in general.

they seem like a wicket ski boot!
i am however a snowboarder, as we are, so they don't quite meet my needs, stock. i don't really like puttin the butch on a brand new, finely built, pair of boots but i am getting used to it.

i do like power straps for how i can velcro my boots together and carry em over my shoulder, pack, whatever, and the power straps on these boots is good, bomb proof and all that... but they were the first things i chopped.

i also did the same same mod as is common with the TLT 5s to the hole in the rear spoiler, heres the spoiler on my tlt5s from last year

but you can see that, in the new Dynafit line, the spoiler's metal plates are different from last years tlt5s. i turned the plate so it provides max fwd lean, then I only filed out about 3-4 mms for additional fwd flex. (modded boot on left, hadn't done the 2nd boot when i took the photos)

yah you could go further but there are other issues at play, the inside surface of the cuff has tabs that butt into the plastic of the lower shell as you flex fwd

the lower shell is beefed up where the tabs butt in, just to the right of the buckle in this photo

this is a similar design feature to what i found in the Zzero line from Dynafit, and i dealt with it the same way, i trimmed plastic off the lower shell so that the tabs wouldn't butt up until a greater degree of fwd flex, the same amount that the filed-out hole in the spoiler now allows

this resulted in the boots having great fwd lean, and a bit of fwd flex. one might consider filing and trimming more, but the rear spoiler itself is closely articulated (more than the tlt5s) with its attachment to the lower shell, and will resist more fwd flex.

to get more flexibility out of the boot, i also cut plastic off the top of the cuff, by about a 3/4"

feels good on the carpet!
i have some ideas for increasing medial flexibility thru the upper cuff but I'm not sure if i'll go there. seems like the benefit would be easier tweakage while jibbin, but the trade off would be power on that inside edge while split skiing....
i'll see how they ride now and go from there, i'll keep y'all posted.
hi5s!!

Post subject: Re: new boots - Dynafit One
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:44 am 

Very cool---thanks for the great photos of the mods!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:02 pm 

Looks great, what about an a adjustable cant?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:21 pm 

Nice Mark. The One looks like a great option, especially for those who might find it hard to fit into the TLT5, or might need more warmth for expeditions, etc. Love the mid buckle, are you finding that the heel hold is really good with that instep buckle?
BTW folks, I saw one of our local splitboard guides here just picked up a new pair of the Scarpa Rush boots. The Rush looks like a another good option in a three buckle boot, which should mod up pretty nicely.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:27 pm 

Hey Mark, love the new boots. Dynafit seem to be coming out with better stuff every year

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:48 pm 

super sick shoes!!!
im mad stoked on em....

between the cush inner boot and the pebax they're actually way more soft than i was expecting... the tongue isn't much either, which adds to that

but with the high cuff and skookum lower shell they're also really supportive, you can really drive an edge in em, super responsive, you can really get aggressive railin' em

barrows, i love the middle buckle its perfect
jamie i think maybe your talking bout replacing a rivet with the canting / offset tnuts that allow adjustment of the alignment of your ankle?? i think those tnuts would fit in the lateral rivet but i've been running canting in my bindings mostly... with the softness of the boot im not sure its worth the effort, unless you really like tinkering with shit.

one issue, pretty common with ski boots, i'd like more forward lean, mostly just for my back foot, looks like the options are stated as 15 or 18 deg depending which way you put the plate in the spoiler, i think i'd be more down with 20 or even 21 deg so i can stay low when i finish my heelside turns...
i could arrange some lift under my heel instead... kind of a pita when i have f2s and ibex on my solid decks, and f2s and some Phantoms incoming for my split, maybe it'll be easier to work out something in the boot and save doing mods on all those binders...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:24 pm 

Lame, but I like these colors of these better than the TLT5s.

I'm curious to hear how they hike when compared to the "walking" sole of the tlt5.

I think it's a good time to be riding a split with hardboots! Lots of new things opening up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:53 am 

I would be interested to know how he makes out with those Scarpas Barrows...

I'm trending towards making the switch this season and Scarpa fits a lot better out of the box than dynafit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:13 pm 

karkis wrote:
super sick shoes!!!
im mad stoked on em....

one issue, pretty common with ski boots, i'd like more forward lean, mostly just for my back foot, looks like the options are stated as 15 or 18 deg depending which way you put the plate in the spoiler, i think i'd be more down with 20 or even 21 deg so i can stay low when i finish my heelside turns...
i could arrange some lift under my heel instead... kind of a pita when i have f2s and ibex on my solid decks, and f2s and some Phantoms incoming for my split, maybe it'll be easier to work out something in the boot and save doing mods on all those binders...

I asked John to put a small(2-3mm) riser under my back heel for my Phantoms, he was happy to oblige. This may help.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:14 pm 

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Snowsport ... s-mens.jsp

Those boot's look interesting. Little cheaper and apparently wider fit. Not sure how much you can mod it though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:40 pm 

yah Jamie a bit of heel lift makes it good. i mite put in a bit more but i'll need longer fasteners to accommodate.

yah John the colours are nice... not that theres anything wrong with Green! :mrgreen:
the Ones walk fine, not quite like the rocker on the TLT5s, or the flex zone (tho i busted some the rivets on the flex zone), but def plenty good for walking.

KGN i hear ya on boots that fit, altho a good boot fitter can do a lot. i haven't toyed with the sportivas, they look sexy... i felt the scarpas had alot of beef, the middle buckle (heel strap?) looks good, with that and the tongue i bet you could chop alot off the cuff and still have good fwd support / flex... but im assuming now that you want alot of fwd flex.

anyways, back on topic here, Dynafit One, i did say already that b/w the plastic and the liners they were softer than i expected, that thought lasted rite up til the shin bang set in (the earlier hint was maybe too subtle, when i drove my toe edge into the snowpack absorbing a 20' drop, tomahawked like a mofo).
i was havin some issues with all the big switch up, new boots and binders, for some reason i messed around with my stance too....for a minute there i thought someone? was right... somethin about hard boot robots, i cant find the quote....

i think i got it sorted tho, i put my stance back to normal (for me, f 25, b -6, 24") and did some more hackin at the Ones...

this is my boot for my back foot, i think its typical that the back foot needs more forward flex, to absorb forces, and also i think more of the tweaking is done with my back foot when i jib. also, to be precise, it seems like the flex required is actually in a fwd / medial direction, so thats how i cut the cuff.

i didn't get shin bang on my front leg, took that as a hint that i maybe shouldn't chop so much there. i really find i can be super aggressive on my toe side with the fwd support on my front foot, makes for some really fun pow shreddin when you can really power the rail thru turns both ways. heres a shot to compare the two boots, front foot on right

after riding the resort on these today i would definitely say these are the best snowboard boots i've ever owned. i do admit there were a few crappy boots in the last 25 years, but there were a number of high end, big dolla, snowboard specific pairs in there too. we're livin in some exciting times to be snowboard tourists.
:thumpsup:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:38 pm 

A bit of a hijack, but can anybody compare the fit of the One to the TLT5? Believe it or not, but I can't find a single place in the UK, that has the TLTs at a retail location. Only one or two online and all the rest are around Europe.
But I found the One at a couple of places and could try the fit on them if it's similar...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:58 am 

Bump. I just tried the One U 26.0
Fits almost OK, may be a bit tight in the toebox, but it seems my right foot is a bit bigger than my left foot. There is a pressure on... I don't know whats the english common name for this part of the foot, but it's the Navicular on this picutre:

The guy in the shop is riding TLT5 himself, and his opinion was that 27.0 TLT5 will fit me OK, but wasnt really sure about this area. He told me, that he can shape it, as he has already done it on his pair of tlts. Trouble is, there isn't a single pair of tlts in the UK, they have to be ordered.

So, again, anyone with experience with both boots? Would the 5 be around the same size in this area? Or should I get the One? i am kind of lost...
Otherwise walking around the shop it seemed just the kind of boot I have been waiting for all those years. Very stiff, plenty of support, but flexible enaugh. Makes all the Burtons, Forums and 32s I have owned feel like they are made from noodles...