Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need some thoughts...Soloman Faction Boots
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:36 pm 

So in a jam (found out my boots were DONE after 7 years of use) I had to buy boots last minute before my trip yesterday. I went to my local REI and picked up the Soloman Faction boots

http://www.rei.com/product/838125/salom ... s-20122013

So I hiked/skinned probably 3-3.5 miles up and the same back on the boots and they were decent. There are two problems I foresee. First, the soles, I feel like the rubber down there will not hold for use in the backcountry (specifically, hiking).

Next, they are considered soft (instead of stiff) boots. I didn't really notice this yesterday, but I think that is because they are new.

So now the big question, do I return them for some different boots, or keep them. I keep seeing spark boots and burton driver x's popping up here and there. Do you guys think they are really worth the coin?

Post subject: Re: Need some thoughts...Soloman Faction Boots
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:24 am 

well if you can ride in duct-taped sorels you can ride in any boot today. if the boots are working out for you, keep them.

if the boot fits well but you want something stiffer return them and get the malamute or synapse. i'm on my second pair of malamutes, good boot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:04 am 

heyitsdaver wrote:
well if you can ride in duct-taped sorels you can ride in any boot today. if the boots are working out for you, keep them.
:thumpsup:

If you can take them back, then thats a pretty good option. Different liners could stiffen then up, but that is more cash.

Sparks, and Drivers (depending on the year) are pretty good. Burton keep changing their stuff and the boots had much different stiffness year-to-year. I am retiring my Drivers (2010) this year and picked up some Malamutes jury is still out on those, but they come highly recommended by guys here.

Good luck! :drinks:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:08 am 

I've used soloman boots for about 10 years now. I've been quite pleased with the durability, and found they packed out about as quick as any other boot. I've always packed them out (~200 days) before other issues retired the boot. I don't rest my edges on the the boot while riding chairlifts, but other than that I don't pamper them at all. I'd say avoid the boa system, but the the laces can be replaced in their no tie lacing system. If they are working for you keep riding them. Durability shouldn't be an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:22 am 

Salomons are the best boots I've ever used. I have had a pair of synapse that are on their 6th season and barely even look warn. They are still useable and since I'm broke ill be riding em for the test part of this season too. The lacing system is by far the best in the industry, I've had no isseues with well over 300 days on these.

As suggested, if you want stiffer go with the synapse or malamutes, if they work well, rock em. They are a fantastic boot.