Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Boots
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:14 am 

Can anyone compare the Ride Insanos and Burton DriverX in terms of sole stiffness and strap crampon compatibility. Is it worth going with the Driver to get the Vibram sole?

Been through several pairs of Ions over the past few years of splitting, which I like for touring, but recently getting into more technical mountaineering lines and the Ions SUCK with a strap crampon (too much flex in the sole and the toe is too boxy...in my opinion). I dropped a crampon in the middle of climbing an ice-filled gully last winter and had to chop steps to the top.

Needless to say I'm ready for a new boot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:01 pm 

Hi, I recommend you look at this boot, the Fitwell Backcountry, I use mine with a Petzl Vasak 12 point strapon crampon and it is very good. The boot is as solid as any good mountaineering boot, almost no sole flex at all and a decent toe box so no crushed toes or sore toenails from kicking. These ride very well too of course, great for touring in. I have had 2 reviews written, one published here on my site http://splitn2.com/product/fitwell-backcountry-snowboard-mountaineering-boot/ and the 2nd more climbing focussed will be in Splitboard.cat magazine in November hopefully. Hunt them out in your region, let me know if you have any difficulty. Oh, you will probably have a lot of difficulty wearing these boots out, I loaned my own pair to a guy who is very rough on gear and them came back after 2 weeks of moraine bashing and climbing and riding basically like new. Cheers, Rich

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:21 pm 

Hey there, you know what I think… consider a hard boot set up and the TLT5.

If you cannot open your mind to a new paradigm, then the Fitwell is likely a good choice, albeit with a severe weight penalty. It sure looks like a nice high quality boot (unlike the made in Asia glorified sneakers that are sold as soft boots these days).

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:48 pm 

I own many pairs of Burton boots including the Driver X (actually my main boot last season). I don't find them to be significantly different in the sole or fit departments from other Burton models. I would not get them thinking they are more mountaineering friendly than your run of the mill stiff snowboard boot. The Vibram tread is mostly a logo on an otherwise conventional rubber sole. I like them a lot, but I would not consider them any more crampon compatible than other boots in their class.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:51 pm 

I honestly don't think you will find anything close to the Fitwell from a mountaineering capability, really its a different conversation if it comes down to hard vs soft boot pro's and con's. When comparing softboots made for snowboard mountaineering the Fitwell is above the rest in build quality and materials and designed for snowboard mountaineering / touring, involving snow/ice/rock climbing. Quote from Ruari Macfarlane, one of NZ's top backcountry riders, "I found them perfect for climbing, on a variety of sections including short mixed and water ice steps, and MC grade 3 face climbing". I suggest you try and get your hands on a pair in a shop so you can really get the feel for them. cheers, Rich

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:22 pm 

I replaced Ions with Driver Xs midway through last season and apart from being stiffer in the cuff I don't think there is any difference in performance of these two boots for mountaineering and walking in them. The Driver X might have an advantage in terms of traction on rock, I think the Vibram sole is noticeable in that aspect but that doesn't help much for most of what we're doing. I climbed up the neve on Shuksan in late May in my Driver Xs and did close to 3000 feet of climbing with crampons on. I never was concerned about pulling out of the crampon but I did boot out because my boot sole was so much wider than what the crampon was intended for.

I just ordered a pair of Primes and will be doing my best to make hardboots work for me this year. If the TLT5 fits your foot and you want to be a split mountaineer than the choice should be pretty easy.