Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Just picked up new Spark Deeluxe XVs, first impressions...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:33 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
Thanks Jimw, what size Fitwells are you rocking?

I'm size 11 in my Burton boots, and I'm running size 295 Fitwells. Like I said, I tried on BGnight's size 290, which are 3mm shorter according to an email he got from the manufacturer, and those felt too tight.

richie wrote:
The Fitwell seems to be better profile all round.

* the ankle and toe straps fit better, as the Fitwell is not as bulky, for the Deeluxe they needed adjusting longer
* the Fitwell toe sole length is 5mm shorter overhang, and the toe end tip of the sole 5mm higher, so a lot better toe angle clearance
* the Fitwell heel was 5mm shorter overhang length and the same height at the tip of the heel sole, so better heel angles

Interesting! So I'm guessing I would have even MORE issues with the Deeluxe.

Have you checked out the XV in person? How is the stiffness of the sole compared to the Fitwell? That seemed to be a big complaint about the first gen Sparks.

Quote:
My very first outing in my Deeluxe's I got a massive blister on my heels, then a blister on a blister, on a 5 day very remote tent based glacier trip, not fun. So far no blisters in the Fitwells. Same socks.

Another interesting observation! I just can't see how anyone can *not* get blisters in the stock Fitwell liners, since there is zero padding behind the heel. I think I have pretty normal feet, so you must just have weird feet. :) But seriously, I can't see riding those boots w/o replacing the liner. Related to that, I should add that measuring the weights, the stock liner was way heavier than my Burton liner, so replacing it with an Intuition liner would be an improvement all around.

Quote:
There are gonna be compromises somewhere, people with larger feet need wide boards thats why they build em right? Not everyone likes wide boards maybe.

That's easy to say when you don't have to deal with it. :) Seriously, I hate wide boards. They just feel unresponsive edge-to-edge, which is the last thing I want when I'm in the type of terrain that I bought these boots for, i.e. at the top of a steep, no-fall chute in variable conditions.

Quote:
Where people are going these days, pushing it harder climbing in spots that they need a decent boot for safety reasons alone, yeah you sure can do it on any boot but I'd rather do it with a boot purpose built for crampons with a decent sole on it.

Totally agree with that. That's why I reeeaaallly want to figure out how to make these boot work out for me.

Quote:
A boot that can truely kick steps is prob gonna have a sharper toe on it

Don't necessarily agree, as long as the toe box is STIFF the sole shouldn't need to come up like it does on the Fitwell (hard to describe w/o pics). Or are you talking about the overall profile of the toebox? It definitely is a little pointier than my Burtons, but nothing like a real PMB.

Quote:
but the manufacturers of both these boots have put quite a rocker on the sole to counter this and as a result they walk quite well too and typically don't catch heel or toe unless you're riding too narrower a board for you.

Yeah, see above. :) Agreed with the rocker being a good thing though. BTW the overall sole rocker appears roughly equivalent to my Burtons.

That does it, I'm really gonna have to post some pics and a more complete review now...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:45 pm 

Update: Had these out for an overnighter over the weekend, and ended up with a broken lace and one of the lace locker things on the side popped off. Going back to the store, hopefully this was a fluke and not a serious QC issue from the manufacturer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:28 pm 

Jefe009 wrote:
Update: Had these out for an overnighter over the weekend, and ended up with a broken lace and one of the lace locker things on the side popped off. Going back to the store, hopefully this was a fluke and not a serious QC issue from the manufacturer.

The lock thingy, popped of before i got to ride my pair

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:32 pm 

psycho_sw wrote:
Jefe009 wrote:

I have a pile of spares for the Deeluxe boots, and most shops that stock them should have them too. Sounds like you had a bad case of a bad knot in the lace end (rather than a broken lace which would be hard to do??) , and the lace locker has come apart which I believe they are prone to, I have fixed one myself. When you pull the lace and the locker to lock or unlock, do not pull really hard sideways or it will tend to pop off. Take them to the shop you got them from and ask for it to be sorted.

cheers
Rich

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:45 pm 

"Another interesting observation! I just can't see how anyone can *not* get blisters in the stock Fitwell liners, since there is zero padding behind the heel. I think I have pretty normal feet, so you must just have weird feet. But seriously, I can't see riding those boots w/o replacing the liner."

Don't use Malamute liners. They're a blister factory. Although I knew this before I put them in my fitwells and tried breaking them in on a warm day with lots of hiking and crappy skinning. I'm gonna try the stock liners. Can't be worse. The malamute liners use a skin like material to lock your achilles down via friction which in turn just instantly rubs your skin off. Retarded design. Fitwells suck to trail hike in compared to a normal snowboard boot but that's to be expected due to their weight and the stiff sole. All stiff soled boots are terrible for you knees and awkward to walk in.

If I could just give my T1's a stiff toe box, a real vibram sole, and a stiff shank they'd be the best boot ever. I can dry hike in my T1's for miles without discomfort. The only reason I got Fitwell's is for Volcano climbing and kicking steps on steeps. After an unsuccessful day out in my Fitwells there is no way they are going to be my everyday boot. Too heavy. I'm stoked on having them for certain missions however. T1's for life. Best boot EVER!!!

LOL just realized this isn't the Fitwell thread. Fuck Spark boots anyway :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:10 am 

Quote:
Don't use Malamute liners. They're a blister factory. Although I knew this before I put them in my fitwells and tried breaking them in on a warm day with lots of hiking and crappy skinning. I'm gonna try the stock liners. Can't be worse. The malamute liners use a skin like material to lock your achilles down via friction which in turn just instantly rubs your skin off. Retarded design.

I've been riding Mutes for three years and have had not experienced this problem. In fact, I think that the design is great, and I never even heat molded the liners. These are the first boots to successfully hold my low-volume heel in place. Never had a blister, now the old malamutes from ten years ago were another story...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:01 pm 

I have 3 generations of Malamutes. The old old ones suck balls. The ones from like 5 years ago I loved to death. The liners from 2 years ago they added that material that destroys my heels. You may not have the same liners. If so, they just hate my feet. I found a pair of relatively new Northwave Kevin Jones liners and put them in my Fitwells for comparison. So much better. Also compared them to the stock Fitwell liners. Holy crap! The stock fitwell liners are complete shit!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:15 pm 

Yeah, I have the ones with the directional "Skin-like" fabric but it doesn't bother me at all.

I'm with you though. I think that many ski and snowboard boot companies should stop wasting time and money on their liners. Many companies create super intricate liner systems that must require large amounts of resources to develop, only to end up with a sub-par product in the end. BD ski boots for instance, or the Fitzwells. Guys, just sell us the shell at a reduced price and we'll order some intuitions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:26 pm 

I have a pretty pronounced achilles so that may be my problem. Just sitting still with those liners rubs by heels raw.
I agree. Just sell the shells!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:21 am 

BGnight wrote:
Don't use Malamute liners. They're a blister factory.
Everyone's feet are different, so general recommendations on liners don't really make sense.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:25 am 

richie wrote:
psycho_sw wrote:
Jefe009 wrote:

I have a pile of spares for the Deeluxe boots, and most shops that stock them should have them too. Sounds like you had a bad case of a bad knot in the lace end (rather than a broken lace which would be hard to do??) , and the lace locker has come apart which I believe they are prone to, I have fixed one myself. When you pull the lace and the locker to lock or unlock, do not pull really hard sideways or it will tend to pop off. Take them to the shop you got them from and ask for it to be sorted.

cheers
Rich

Thanks for the tip, you were right on both counts. Apparently the green lace locker things come off easily (the guy who sold em to me says people come in all the time for replacements), and the lace ends just need to be retied with bulletproof knots.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:11 pm 

has anyone heard the rumor about the new full leather 600$ deeluxe boot in the works?

apparently their adding a 3rd boot to their lineup for backcountry boots.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:36 pm 

I just bought these. What crampons are people using that fit these? While this boot thoughtfully has included a heel indent that will accept step in crampons such as my Black Diamonds and Camps, the toe is flat and does not provide anywhere for the front to lock into. All the step in crampons I have ever seen have a front rail that hooks over the toe indent at the sole, and then a clamping piece for the rear that goes over the indent on the heel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next