Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BOOTS
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:12 pm 

I need new boots. The malamutes are getting soft and old. I want something different. Anybody got some good recommendations?

Im thinking of Burton Driver X's again, but what is the stiffest

K2

DC

Vans

Forum

????

Post subject: Re: BOOTS
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:18 pm 

Drivers aren't as still as they used to be... Unless you can score some older ones :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:39 pm 

I had 3 pairs of malamutes and loved them until I found K2 T1's (single boa). I'm on my 2nd pair of these and they take a thrashing. My first pair finally died after many days of resort and splitting (including lots of schwacking/hiking) Love 'em!!!!
I'm also interested in trying Ride Insanos too next year for resort riding (double boa) as I've heard nothing but good things about them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:52 pm 

I think Ride Insanos are the stiffest boot out there. By a pretty large margin. I find them to be almost as stiff as a ski boot. The other nice thing is that they are one of the lightest boots out there too. Intuition liners, it's a nice boot. Wish they had Vibram soles.

They use the BOA focus system. Personally I think it's great, but some peeps just don't care for BOA. Of course the boot also needs to fit your foot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:03 pm 

Killz: how is the bulk factor on the Insanos in comparison to recent model Driver Xs and Malamutes?
I am considering putting together a soft set up for next season (no I am not going to ditch my hard boots, just might like to ride both a little, especially with some of the new split soft bindings coming for next season).

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:07 pm 

+1 on the Ride Insanos...They are definitely stiffer than the T1's and I do like the double boas. Most comfortable boots I have ever ridden. Not bulky by any means. Very low profile and weight is minimal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:21 pm 

Rughty beat me to it.

Insanos are not bulky at all. The do not have that "Shrink" tech that some of the Burton boots provide, but they are also not oversized like many of DC's models. Being that the Insanos are so light, they really can't be all that bulky.

I'd say the Insano would probably be high on your list of a boot to have. I really like the boot a lot.

The BOA focus Flow boot with Vibram soles for next year also looks interesting. I have no idea on the stiffness, but it is very lightweight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:46 pm 

All that's well and good, but:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:49 pm 

I went from Driver Xs to Malamutes. I would love the stiffness in the toebox and sole from the Driver X with the fit, ankle cinch and liner quality of the Malamute. Drivers packed out way too quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:49 pm 

are the k2 t1's lighter than models from several years ago? I found them to be really bulky and heavy.

tried on some of this year's malamutes, but they seem more bulky and stiffer than all the other years i've ridden.

or i forgot how stiff they are when they are new. :scratch:

i'll have to check out the insanos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:01 pm 

Wait till the fall and guinea pig the Flow Talon for us. :)

Vibram sole, dual-zone BOA, waterproof liner, scary light... :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:28 pm 

I thought the K2 T1 Lace was stiffer than the Ride Insano Focus when I compared one on each foot at least forward flex wise. I'm 6' and about 190 lbs and wear around a US 10.5. They were close though and the Rides were definitely lighter. I chose the K2s as they just seemed to fit my foot better.

The Malamutes are also quite stiff but just squished the hell out of my foot all over. The Spark Deeluxes (yeah I'm not getting into the issues with those as they are well documented on here) seemed to be about as stiff as the Malamutes. Again not a good fit for my high volume, wide foot.

Of course all these pale in comparison to my stock Scarpa F1 Race AT boots. I really like the forward flex but since I have not modded them the lateral stiffness is too much.

Lastly the 32 Prime was far too flexible for me in all directions although I liked the fit. I also have to say while softboots are still lacking in quality and durability the liners they come with are at least not a joke anymore.

And here are pictures since I went through the effort of buying so many different boot models and sizes. These are all size US 10.5 or 11s

From Left to Right: Salomon Malamutes, Ride Insano Focus Boa, K2 T1 Lace, 32 Prime, Scarpa F1 Race

Liners. same order as above:

Soles, same order as above:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:31 pm 

Holy boot quiver! :drool: