Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spark Boots in Karakoram??
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:49 pm 

Hearing stories that some folks are having trouble fitting the new Spark Boots into traditional bindings due to the size of the Vibram Sole. Most the issues I have heard about are that it makes the boot Taller, and most of the issues involve medium sized bindings.

That being said.. has anyone tried them out in the Karakoram system yet?? Any issues?? Just bought a set of their binding and I also need to replace some blown out Driver X's.. not too stoked on burton's offerings this year.

Thanks, Tom

Post subject: Re: Spark Boots in Karakoram??
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:16 am 

Hey,
For what its worth as I havnt been up in them yet, I have the Sparks in a size 9 and the medium Karakoram's. I had to adjust the straps fairly large to get a proper fit with the boots. I would like to have the toe risers, but I dont see them available on the Karakoram website. I kinda doubt that the Sparks in size 10 or higher would fit too well, but maybe someone can add their thoughts.
Cheers,
Ben

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:37 pm 

Just messaged the boys at Karakoram to ask about this and I'm a 10.5 and they said go for a Medium in their bindings

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:47 pm 

I just got the Karakoram bindings size large and spark boots size 12. Even with the bindings adjusted all the way our the touring mode piece hits the vibram sole, and they are totally unusable as-is. I will need the toe ramps to be able to use my spark boots. My Soloman malamutes rub just barely so are usable for now. I emailed the guys at karakoram and they said they would try to make a run of toe ramps. They also didnt think the size 12 sparks would be a problem with the large bindings, but they deffinitely are. I'll probably just make my own out of some UHMW until they get some in stock. I'm sure bigfoot size spark boots are the only ones that will have a problem because all other snowboard boots are canted up in the front. Even even if I planned on just using my malamutes I would still take some stomp pad material and stick it on the front of the binding to raise my boot up. It would be nice if the bindings came with some.

IrishGav- I'd be careful with any spark boot size 10+, I'd buy larges.

I'll try to post some pictures of the problem tonight...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:21 am 

AK Dom wrote:
I just got the Karakoram bindings size large and spark boots size 12. Even with the bindings adjusted all the way our the touring mode piece hits the vibram sole, and they are totally unusable as-is. I will need the toe ramps to be able to use my spark boots. My Soloman malamutes rub just barely so are usable for now. I emailed the guys at karakoram and they said they would try to make a run of toe ramps. They also didnt think the size 12 sparks would be a problem with the large bindings, but they deffinitely are. I'll probably just make my own out of some UHMW until they get some in stock. I'm sure bigfoot size spark boots are the only ones that will have a problem because all other snowboard boots are canted up in the front. Even even if I planned on just using my malamutes I would still take some stomp pad material and stick it on the front of the binding to raise my boot up. It would be nice if the bindings came with some.

IrishGav- I'd be careful with any spark boot size 10+, I'd buy larges.

I'll try to post some pictures of the problem tonight...

Hey bud,dam and I just put in an order for a medium with Karakoram,post some pics so we can see the problem,more stress,wish I was just set up and happy,all this new gear is driving me mad :cry:

Edit

Just emailed Bryce again voicing my concerns about the size and he again said should be ok and if there was a problem they'd send bigger heel cups

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:26 pm 

I have Spark boots size 9.5, and medium Karakoram heelcups, and things work just great.

I will say that the last on the Deeluxes are a very bulky one; the overall length and bulk of the boot could be significantly reduced with some precision engineering and last - liner size modifications. If you haven't bought spark boots yet and want to, I'd recommend buying boots that are a half to full size smaller than you normally would, and then put in different liners. The liners that they come with just suck... I couldn't get them to stop killing my feet, and so I put in an older 32 Intuition liner and now they feel awesome. However I wish the shell was a half size smaller because the 32 liners take up way less space.