Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UPZ ATB
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:43 am 

I scored a pair of these boots while sliding in Colorado the past couple weeks:

I'm a returning hard booter from way back, been doing tele for the past few years, last hardboot I used was a Dynafit from the early 1980's...

Anyway, I was riding some modified Scarpa TX, having some trouble getting enough forward flex, so I drove down to All Board Sports and met with Bolla. I must have tried on twenty pairs of boots, Head Stratus, Deeluxe, UPZ RC 10, finally got Bolla to bring out his only pair of UPZ ATB (28), just so I could eyeball them, since I was clearly not going to fit my sz 13 piggies in the boot.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the UPZ is one big a$$ shell, so even though the liners were too small, I was able to make them fit perfect using my tele boot liners. I have a low volume foot, medium width, through the arch, and wide across the BOF. The fit was very good, 2cm behind my heel when fitted without a liner. I did have to crank down the buckles due to my low volume, but they accomodated and snugged up fine.

What I notice right off is that these boots are very well made and have a lot of nice features, inluding durable aluminum buckles, multi canting, hard rubber soles, three choices of tongue stiffness, a nice velcro power band, three cuff lock positions plus free ride, and the fore and aft flex is adjustable and spring dampened.

I got one day on them BC and one day at A Basin, mostly rode them unlocked; I'm still getting used to hard booting. No complaints about the flex or fit, durability seems excellent. Even though they have some weight to them, it's not any more than a typical AT boot. I found the flex was far more consistent than in my AT boots and I had less binding at the ankle when in max forward lean.

When I did carpet testing, I found they were at least as stiff as the Head Stratus and if I were to upgrade the tongue, I think they would be just as stiff as their carving brethren, the RC 10.

Nice boots for sure, all they're missing is dynafittings; which I may just add...

Post subject: Re: UPZ ATB
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:19 pm 

cool - I was going to ask about skinning, but you make it sound as adding dynafit pieces is no big deal, I wasn't aware it's as easy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:03 am 

Quote:
cool - I was going to ask about skinning, but you make it sound as adding dynafit pieces is no big deal, I wasn't aware it's as easy

I don't know that it would be easy to add dynafittings, but since they would only be used for skinning, I think it would be quite possible to add something for the dynafit toes to grab.

My thought was to insert some stainless screws into either side of the toe plate, then grind the head so it's a cone shape. Another option would be to insert a threaded stainless tube through the toe plate, then insert screws into the tube and make those "coned" for dynafit use.

I plan to play with this mod over the summer, wil post pics when they're done.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:28 pm 

Quote:
I don't know that it would be easy to add dynafittings, but since they would only be used for skinning, I think it would be quite possible to add something for the dynafit toes to grab.

My thought was to insert some stainless screws into either side of the toe plate, then grind the head so it's a cone shape. Another option would be to insert a threaded stainless tube through the toe plate, then insert screws into the tube and make those "coned" for dynafit use.

Please consider posting a question on WildSnow.com; as Lou Dawson and the Wild Snow crew know alot about Dynafits.

Dynafit-ed AT boots and bindings do help with skinning and just plain skiing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:29 pm 

Quote:

Please consider posting a question on WildSnow.com; as Lou Dawson and the Wild Snow crew know alot about Dynafits.

Yes, Dynafit-ed AT boots and bindings do help with skinning and just plain skiing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:56 am 

I bought a pair of these boots a couple of seasons ago in my never ending attempt to find a proper hard snowboard boot. They are HEAVY and the soles clog up with snow. I struggled through a season with them and now they sit in my "boots that just didn't work out" graveyard. I found a pair of 2008 Garmont Mega lite boots that weigh about half as much as the UPZ boots (a big deal when you only weigh 115 lbs). The Garmonts work well for me with the forward lean mod. They are comfortable, functional and still carve when the opportunity arrises.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:57 am 

Quote:
I bought a pair of these boots a couple of seasons ago in my never ending attempt to find a proper hard snowboard boot. They are HEAVY and the soles clog up with snow. I struggled through a season with them and now they sit in my "boots that just didn't work out" graveyard. I found a pair of 2008 Garmont Mega lite boots that weigh about half as much as the UPZ boots (a big deal when you only weigh 115 lbs). The Garmonts work well for me with the forward lean mod. They are comfortable, functional and still carve when the opportunity arrises.

Ummm, last year was the first season for this boot, so very few people have ridden them...two years ago, hmmm?

As to boot sole clogging with snow, that's an any boot scenario, try some Pam.

I also have some modified Scarpa TX ski boots which work fine, but the eternal problem with ski boots is that they're designed for flex in one directions and they have minimal lateral flex, whereas snowboarders need boots designed for flex in two directions and some lateral flex.

The UPZ ATB is a great boot for folks who want to ride plates, three choices in tongue stiffness, three different sole choices, more durable and rebuildable. They are heavy with stock liners, but slap some thermo liners in them and they lose a solid pound. Not to mention, going to a plate could also lose you some weight. Then there's the awesome boot packing and cramponability of hard boots...

It's a choice, soft boots have their pros, I just prefer a hard boot and the UPZ ATB is the best one to date.

I just did some mods to my UPZ ATB and older UPZ RTR, adding a stiffer tongue to the ATB and a softer tongue and AT soles to the RTR, now I have two BC ready boots.

Next up, adding dynafittings :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:38 am 

I found this post about adding/repair Dynafit binding fittings on WildSnow.com

http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/denali_dynafit_retrofit/denali_dynafit_retrofit.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:51 pm 

They look nice but I think anything that looks that nice is out of my financial budget for snowboarding stuff. I just bought a new board being able to spend more is out of the question. Great find though

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:25 am 

Hey Powder_Rider, thanks for the link, it's nice to see that I'm not alone in my quest for the perfect hardboot.

So more on the UPZ:

I now have two pairs of UPZ, the ATB and an older pair of RTC which I converted to ATB by changing to the ATB sole set. I also swapped out tongues, putting the red ATB tongue on the stiffer RTC shell and putting the stiffer black RTC tongue on the ATB. The reason I did the tongue swap was that the ATB was too soft in freeride/walk mode, but too stiff in locked mode for pow, so now it's nice for pow and I can still lock it out for carving.

I spent one day on our local WSOD and three days at Brighton last week, had a blast, rode a stiffer pow board and a dedicated carver, mixed conditions, still kinda thin in Utah, but very fun. In contrast to the converted Scarpa TX (similar to F3), the UPZ has far more adjustment fore and aft as well as more lateral flex, so it rides better than a ski boot while retaining all the benefits of a hard boot (warmth, water proof, durability, control).

I hiked Brighton for one run when the lift went down and it was a very comfortable boot for the up, just like hiking in a good AT ski boot. My current plan is to cut up the TX sole and remove the dynafitting for transplant to the UPZ. Due to the construction of the UPZ sole, it should be a pretty easy swap, just do a little dremeling to make it fit, epozy and screw into place, then off to the races.

The only downside to the UPZ is the extra heft of the boot; they really are heavy, BUT the lightweight binding set up helps break even on weight and I much prefer hard booting so it's not as a big of a weight penalty when compared to an F3.

FYI, the older UPZ boot that I modifed for the ATB sole is a very nice way to get the ATB boot on the cheap, just head over to Bomber on line and scout out some used UPZ boots, you could probably build one similar to mine for half the price of new.

I'll have the dynafittings installed within the next month or so :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:58 pm 

Nurse Ben,

Still waiting on an update for the dynafit mods... I'm in a similar situation with my UPZs - would be happy to pay a slight weight penalty and have 1 pair of boots do it all.

All those different UPZ toe and heel adapters and not a single one of them dynafit. Not cool. Would love to have that situation remedied.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:32 pm 

Cant remember where I saw it and too lazy to search, but some skier had a setup using alpine boots with dynafit toe pieces mounted on a swap plate that could be replaced with dukes or full alpine bindings. seems crazy to me when skiers have dynafit or duke options. But the boot mod was to use two allen head screws just big enough to fit the dynafit pins in - 5.5 or 6mm, and dont think he even ground it out to a cone shape (which I only think would be needed for a proper DIN release in ski mode). Just drill a pilot hole and screw them in to the right width and set with epoxy.

If these ATBs have swapable soles, it should be fairly easy to find a set with dynafit inserts as lots of new AT boots come with both alpine and touring soles.