Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scarpa TX: One boot to rule them all
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:19 pm 

For those interested in a multi purpose boot, the Scarpa TX can be used for telemark, AT, Dynafits, and hard booting!

I started with a first generation Scarpa TX, which was designed for use with the Rottefella NTN telemark binding. These boots have dynafittings, which make them ideal for splitboard use. The TX are very similar to the F3, but have a rommier toe box (new Scarpa fit). Bellows are nice for walking, no real disadvantage since they clamp down in the bindings.

After reading the F1/F3 thread and doing some preliminary carpet testing, I knew that the boots didn't have enough fore and aft lean to be ridden locked, but I didn't want to modify the ski/walk mode before trying them out, so I used them in walk mode initially. Since these are some stiff boots, even for tele, I did some grinding on the tongue above the ribbing, thinned the plastic until I could flex the cuff with my hands, this seemed to make fore and aft flex a little easier with the cuff unlocked.

I skied the boots one day BC and one day at the resort. The boots worked great until the upper cuff flexed too far forward on my back foot and "locked" with the lower cuff :o

Since I now knew it'd work, I started notching the upper end of the ski/walk bar (free end), staring with the factory drilled holes, each day increasing the length of the notch toward the upper end to find the sweet spot. Here's the pita, the steel used in the bar is hard and it's not easy to get at the bar, so I used a Dremel and a carbide cutting tip, which worked like a charm: http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories ... x?pid=9901

Ultimately I notched the bar so that it allowed the upper cuff to flex forward to within a few millimeters of where the cuffs overlap, approx 15mm from the bar end (free end).

I did not notch the bar any lower that the lowest factory hole. just to see if I could get by with a more forward lean orientation. But after my son tried it out, he found theminimum forward lean was still too far forward much for all mountain use; my son is a soft booter who prefers stiffer boots/bindings (T1/K2 Cinch).

I ended up notching the lower portion of the bar (fixed end) until it almost allows full ROM in lock mode, stopping 5mm before the upper cuff touches the lower cuff. This is a lot of cuff travel, nealy as much as what I had in walk mode (unlocked), esp when compared to soft boots with the forward lean controlled by a highback binding. BUT, these boots have a lot more stiffness in the tongue and cuff, so they don't seem soft when flexed hard in a backside turn. Ultimately I may add a piece of hard rubber to serve as bumper at the fixed end of the bar to provide some feedback.

So, how do they ride? Awesome according to my soft booting son, on par with my UPZ AT, though maybe not quite as comfortable, but for spltting or just all mtn resort use, they are a nice option to using carving boots, esp if you expect to hike on dirt and rock or use crampons.

Bar slot cut from inside boot, free (upper) end

Bar slot cut from outside, fixed (lower) end

Boot cuff at min lean angle, locked

Boot cuff at max forward lean, locked

Post subject: Re: Scarpa TX: One boot to rule them all
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:00 pm 

Great write up Ben.
As an ex-patriot telewanker I wanted to try the original 3 buckle TX but never saved up the $$ for new boots.
I'm going to mod old T2s for ghetto splitting boots(more on that when I progress with $0.00 DIY).
I'm really curious as to how well they will ski/tele with the near full rom of the upper??

I wonder if some kind of set screw mod would stop forward flex before cuff/lower overlap goes to far. Thus negating the need to slot the forward lean bar (ride in walk mode) and preserving forward lean settings for skiing.

Post subject: Re: Scarpa TX: One boot to rule them all
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:25 am 

Telewankers R us! I'm a notorious wanker from a certain tele forum, got sanked a fair shar for smakcing down the big tele corps :)

As to using notches vs a "screw" for forward lean stop, I'm sure you could make one work, but there's an awful lot of bang when the boot is flexed hard, might end up damaging the lock mechanism.

The reason I went to a notch is that the "bend" that Scarpa placed at the end of the bar was not enough to prevent the bar from pulling through the mechanism, which had started to bend apart :o

Anyway, the notching was not hard esp if you predrill holes, maybe an hour of time total. I think that you're better off having a free moving cuff, then using the buckles to control stiffness, maybe changing liners to soften or stiffen the flex. For controlling rearward flex, a piece of rubber or even a spring might work.

I wonder if a Bomber BTS could be fabbed in place using the bar as a mounting bracket...

My TX are way stiff due to being gen one, so the newer TX are much softer and might not need any tongue grinding. I have used them with Dynafits and unlocked cuff, they worked fine, not sure about how they'll tele, but I'm sure it'll be okay.

Old tele boots are a great source for inexpensive backcountry hardboot mods, no need to splurge on F3/F1, $50 could get a nice set of boots that are comfy and hike nice due to bellows.