Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deeluxe Independent BC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:19 am 

http://www.deeluxe.com/products/independent-bc/

I am wondering if I can get some feedback on the 2014 Deeluxe Independent BCs.

I know some of the original complaints with the Deeluxe "Spark" (2012?) is that they were huge and had the increased potential for toe/heel drag. Does this same problem persist in the 2014 models? Would a size 11 fit L Spark Fuse bindings? How are the boots holding up? How is the fit? How is skinning, climbing, hiking, etc.

Some of my projects this winter require crampons for some glacier and low-grade climbing. I also have some multi-day tours in mind (if the Chugach actually gets some snow this year!). Any experience with the boots in these departments?

I can't afford Fitwells or else I would just get those!
I also don't want to use hard boots. I am a more than proficient skier and will just do that if I absolutely need hard boots for a project. I just have more fun surfing on soft boots!

Thanks all!

Post subject: Re: Deeluxe Independent BC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:26 am 

I bought a pair of the Indy BCs back in May and have only worn them around the house a few times. Just last week I pulled them out of the box and did a little geeking out. Here's what I can confirm on a size 11 (29):

5 lbs for the pair. This seemed heavy, but my Ultralights weigh almost 4.5lbs
Sizing is correct compared to other boots I own, Burton and 32. The BCs are comfortable out of the box.
Construction appears solid. It's a well-built lace-up with a wicked looking vibram sole on the bottom.
The Vibram sole on the BCs is long and narrow (an inch longer than the Ultralights and roughly an inch narrower). I have tried them in a pair of Light Rails and Now Bindings. They will fit in both with some adjustments.

I bought these hoping for a resort/split boot. For me, a meadow-skipping mini-golf splitter, the BCs are on the verge of being too much boot. As a resort boot, they seem ideal for hiking, but the fit with my Nows is not good. The narrow sole does not mate well with the wide baseplate. I am on the fence about the BCs for my needs, but for someone looking for an alternative to the Fitwells, the Deeluxe vibram-soled models appear to be a good alternative.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:50 pm 

Thanks for the info. Anyone else have any experience with these?

In this vid, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1cx9F6F8d8 , it says that the footprint is smaller for the 14' xv.

Does anyone know if it is also smaller on the Summit and BC models?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:36 am 

Skijor AK wrote:
Thanks for the info. Anyone else have any experience with these?

In this vid, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1cx9F6F8d8 , it says that the footprint is smaller for the 14' xv.

Does anyone know if it is also smaller on the Summit and BC models?

Thanks again!

Thats the first I've heard about the reduced footprint. I have Spark XVs from the first year they came out and they are monsters. Since I am usually in between regular and wide boards with 10.5 boots, the big Deeluxes put me in a predicament.

I prefer a slightly softer boot than most on here, it seems. I also am not a huge fan of the lacing system on the XVs. I don't think the dual zone system works well and the power strap is unnecessary for me. If these really are smaller than previous years I am very interested in picking up a pair. I'll try to find a 14-15 pair at a shop and take some measurements.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:34 pm 

I hope they are better than the Spark XV bro cause i went for "cheaper" and i ended up getting shoddy product
I would hope the lacing is better on the independent because its laces...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:15 am 

Draizuh wrote:
I hope they are better than the Spark XV bro cause i went for "cheaper" and i ended up getting shoddy product
I would hope the lacing is better on the independent because its laces...

I ordered a pair of 14 XVs on a great close out special. Tried them on, seemed to fit well :lol: and then that stupid quick lace adjuster broke when I released the lace! :nononno: All I did was push up on it, just like they say too. Thankfully I could return them for a full refund having not worn them.

http://www.chair2boardsports.com