Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:13 pm 

magnus wrote:
Hi barrow

I have question. Im from sweden and i dont really understand "The inside (medial) cuff was cut down just a little". I have a small problem with the language. Could you please post a picture so i know that im taking down the right part of the plastic?
The other mod I understand. It would be very kind of you.

Thank you

Unfortunately, I am on dial up internet here, so posting pictures is very difficult. I will try and explain.
The cuff is the upper part of the boot shell, which wraps around the lower leg and ankle. It is dark green plastic on the TLT5. I cut down the cuff a little, to the inside (medial side) of the leg, and to the outside (lateral) side of the leg, but leaving the rear part of the cuff alone (the rear part which gives the highback support). I cut down the inside more than the outside. I know many people who do not cut the cuff at all, so be sure to ride the boot first, and determine if you want or need more flex in the lateral or medial direction. And, if you do decide to cut down the cuff some, be sure to start with small amounts, like 4 or 5 mm at a time, and then ride the boot. It is easy to cut too much, so be careful. Also, if you decide to make cuts like this, make sure they are smooth, and well blended into the shape of the cuff, any abrupt, sharply cut edges are likely to start a tear in the plastic. And always smooth out all cut edges by sanding, leaving a nice rounded, smooth surface.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:52 am 

Hey Barrows,
Can you do me a favor and measure the height from the boot board to the cuff at 4 points around the boot to get an idea of how tall it is on the lateral, medial, toe side, and heel side? I have uncut BD Primes that I will start working down soon and knowing where you are with the TLT5 and also how tall my soft boots are will probably be a good guide for a starting point.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:07 pm 

Jason4 wrote:
Hey Barrows,
Can you do me a favor and measure the height from the boot board to the cuff at 4 points around the boot to get an idea of how tall it is on the lateral, medial, toe side, and heel side? I have uncut BD Primes that I will start working down soon and knowing where you are with the TLT5 and also how tall my soft boots are will probably be a good guide for a starting point.

Thanks.

I am sorry, but this request makes no sense to me for a few reasons:

1. The Primes bear no relationship to the TLT5s, they are very different boots, and there is no reason to assume that any mods which work for one boot will work for another, especially considering the Primes are overlap boots, and the TLT5s use tongue construction.

2. No one should mod their boots based on a formula developed by someone else: the entire point of making boot mods is to make the boots flex in a way that suits the individuals riding style and preference.

3. Height of the shell is just one of many factors which will affect how the boots flex and perform-and there is no reason to assume that what works for the TLT5 will work for the Primes, in fact, there are many reasons to believe that what works with the TLT5 will not work with the Primes (being that these two boots are entirely different, overlap vs. tongue style).

I suggest that you ride the boots stock first, and then start cutting in areas where you feel you might need more flex. I have no personal experience with the Primes, but there are riders here who do, and they have posted pictures of their mods if you need a starting place, I would suggest you start by searching these forums for posts about the Primes. But still, I emphasize that your goal should be to make the boots work for you, rather than just copying what someone else has done.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 pm 

have a lot more days on the TLTs now, some coold days and a lot of varied terrain. Still very much digging the open rear buckle. I put the booster strap back on and with the added support of the intuitions heelside support hasn't been a problem on crusts, variable snow on open bowls and open rolling terrain. They have the flexibility to work through tight chutes, support to allow higher speed turns (only up in the 40s mph range so far) and are effortless to turn in.

You don't get that tightness around your calf feeling ski boots usually give me. Later in spring I'm hoping to ride some of the longer, open shots around here. That should be a good test.

Was talking with some guys at the splitfest and the mantra of 'trust the mods, put in the work and TLTs will be solid' is true for me. It took about 10 days of experimenting and riding to get the right mix, but i don't even think about ride quality. Next up is to get the boots to be good with a more twin/duck setup. Kinda miss riding switch :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:15 am 

barrows wrote:
Jason4 wrote:
Hey Barrows,

Thanks.

3. Height of the shell is just one of many factors which will affect how the boots flex and perform-and there is no reason to assume that what works for the TLT5 will work for the Primes, in fact, there are many reasons to believe that what works with the TLT5 will not work with the Primes (being that these two boots are entirely different, overlap vs. tongue style).

I suggest that you ride the boots stock first, and then start cutting in areas where you feel you might need more flex. I have no personal experience with the Primes, but there are riders here who do, and they have posted pictures of their mods if you need a starting place, I would suggest you start by searching these forums for posts about the Primes. But still, I emphasize that your goal should be to make the boots work for you, rather than just copying what someone else has done.

You're right, height of the shell is just one of the many factors which will affect how the boots flex. Since we are in totally different boots it was the only thing that I asked for to compare. I don't think I want to ride boots as soft as you do. My soft boots are current Driver Xs and from day 1 they were too soft. I've tried on TLT5s and wish I could fit in them but out of the box is a no go and I couldn't get any confident answers that a good boot fitter could work enough magic on them.

I've looked carefully at the pictures from Christoph but I think he has gone softer than I want to go. I don't want to take off as much plastic as he has and he's the only one who has extensively modded and ridden in Primes.

Thanks for the pointers on what to consider when modding boots. Good luck converting the world to go hard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:54 am 

I got fitted at BD over the summer and they specifically said dyanfits wouldn't match my foot well (wide vs narrow profile shell). Now, a set of used boots and new liners work without banging out the plastic. If I needed to with the TLTs the plastic is malleable and can be punched out to better accommodate atypical feet. Prior to abandoning the dynafit's I'd check with a shop familiar with punching out boots.

Not to dig BD, they're a great shop. But inkline, where I got the TLTs fitted, is focused primarily on liner and footbed fittings. They noted that I had room to work with on the dynafits, which was a pleasant surprise.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:55 am 

My issue with the Dynafits is at the midfoot. My arch is dead flat so that is the widest part of my foot. If I could find a bootfitter nearby that was confident he could get me the room I need in that part of the boot I'd give it a go.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:43 pm 

vapor wrote:
WOW! These boots are near perfect out of the box. Might be a little too soft in the front foot without the tongue but im figuring that will be the only mod ill have to do. Saved a bunch of weight and the degree of ankle movement is huge when touring.
Barrows called it spot on.

Mine showed up today, and I couldn't agree more with vapor! Sweet fit and flex and all I've done is swap the footbed in the stock liners and switch the orientation of the forward lean stop. Might need to tweak a little more forward flex, but I am damn happy!

One question regarding the stock liners. While I am planning to swap to Intuitions at some point, I may try the stock for awhile. Did anyone notice substantial differences in foam density/quantity between your liners? My left liner seems to have substantially more material immediately below the ankle that's causing a bit of pressure. While I know thermo-molding will help, there just seems to be a dramatic difference between the L and the R liner.

Regarding fit, if the TLT6 is indeed wider, I am glad I snatched up the TLT5. My foot is slightly more than D width, and these fit perfectly.

Barrows, thanks for all your guidance and assistance!

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:14 pm 

TLT-5 RAD!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:12 pm 

^ super rad!
i like the tongue tweak too...
i was thinkin bout these boots a bit, in terms of buyer beware... i mean they're great, i love em...
but!
yah like the crack in the tongue, it happens, no big deal but really not ideal
the one other thing i dont think has been mentioned yet is the rivets in the flex zone, if you're poundin it out on the boots the rivets are gonna fail... again no big deal, i left a few of em blown out for a few weeks at least, then fixed em up wi lil tnuts... if you crank on the tnuts it'll prevent the shell from flexing at that joint, if you use loc tite and just snug em up not too tite then the shell will maybe still flex a bit... not that it matters really
anywaze i thought id mention that before it comes up as an issue and yall just figure the dynafit pushers must be high on kool aid...

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:02 pm 

Hi

I would like to thank you barrows for the help! This season has been epic. With this setup i have been really pushing myself and had a lot of fun.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:30 pm 

PSA Dynafit Tlt 5 on Steep and Cheap in new Gear Cache section.
In the Winter Blowout category for 56% off for only 2 more days it says.
I got mine back in April and love them.
Don't hesitate at that price, you wont be disappointed!

Jones Hovercraft 60
Supermodel 73
Dynafit TLT5 Mtn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:36 pm 

Can anyone make any suggestions regarding the Mountain vs. the Performance? I'm holding out for the TLT6 at the moment as I have a wider foot.
Also, what's the word on the Dynafit Dy.N.A. PDG Ski Boot? Could these be modded like the TLTs, are they a substantial enough boot?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next