Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:55 am 

Jason4 wrote:
I tried on the TLT5 last spring and was disappointed to find that it doesn't fit my foot at all... I ended up ordering a pair of closeout Primes last night and have now started down the path of becoming a hard boot splitter.

Jason,

You're set with the Primes, but for other still shopping; don't be so quick to rule out the TLT5's. The liners are heat mold-able and until you form the liner, it's hard to rule it out. Bootfitters can do amazing things as well, but for most, cooking the liner is enough to make it fit like a glove.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:18 pm 

Quote:
Bootfitters can do amazing things as well, but for most, cooking the liner is enough to make it fit like a glove.

Check-out this boot-fitting article on Wildsnow.com http://www.wildsnow.com/8431/masterfit-university-backcountry-ski-boot-fitting/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:58 pm 

I'm thinking of getting a hard boot setup this year and I have to say that I'm stoked on how much info is online to help me make the important decisions. I'm currently thinking the TLT's sound sick but I had a question that I hadn't seen anyone ask in this thread yet. I'm hoping that if I spend $$$ on boots for my splitboard I hope they might also be good for skiing (sorry to drop an S-bomb). Does anyone shred both ways and do you use the same boots to do it?
Regardless of using them both ways, I have never worn hard boots before and I'm wondering how are these boots supposed to fit? Am I looking for a real snug fit similar to ski boots? How much toe-wiggle is good/bad? Any other info regarding fit would be great.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:45 pm 

Besty, the characteristics that make it a good ski boot usually work against it as a snowboard boot. To ski well it needs to be stiff as can be, all buckles / straps locked down tight. I've owned both the Performance and the Mountain and both ski surprisingly well for their weight and require little to no tweaks, (aside from proper liner moulding). As a snowboard boot, I leave the top Velcro strap and the removable ski tongues off completely. This gives me just enough flex in the upper cuff. Some guys, (especially those who weigh less) need a bit more flex and shave down the rear and sides of the upper cuff to get it dialed precisely. Trimming the cuff reduces how skiable it is. I suggest using the ski tongues and Velcro top straps for skiing, and pull them for splitboarding. You can also experiment with your binding angles and cant spacers to give more comfort without having to grind the cuffs down.

As for the fit, make sure to visit a competent ski shop to help you get a proper fit. It's possible to do it yourself, but resist the urge and she'll out the cash to get it done right the first time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:58 pm 

Thanks Plinko. I'm just worried that if I go to a boot fitter and tell them that the boot is going to be for a snowboard they'll be outside of their expertise. Are you telling me that I should get them fitted like your average touring boot?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:10 pm 

besty_split wrote:
Thanks Plinko. I'm just worried that if I go to a boot fitter and tell them that the boot is going to be for a snowboard they'll be outside of their expertise. Are you telling me that I should get them fitted like your average touring boot?

^^^^^Yes.

The fit will not be any different. If you want the tlt5s (and you should! :headbang: ) then the question becomes, does it fit my foot well or not? If not, then which boot does? Lots of splitters also use BD Primes and Scarpa F1 and F3s, and the fit will be different than the tlt5s, which run kind of narrow.

In terms of how to adjust the boot for ride/tour mode, it seems like everyone has their own preferences. You'll likely need to adjust as you go until you have it all dialed for your setup.

I don't worry at all anymore about the salespeople in retail stores, they will not have as much info / expertise as the people on this forum who actually care and use the gear in the field. I'd recommend asking Barrows any specific questions you have, he knows a lot about hardbooting with splitboards. My :twocents:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:19 pm 

Yes, to start. Later on, if it's too snug you can remould the liners or even address specific problem areas. Intuition, (in Van) suggest using the rice sock method and after trying just about every other method out there, I completely agree. Link is here:

https://intuitionliners.com/fitting/hom ... tructions/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:49 am 

I just caught wind of a friend of a friend who hasn't been too stoked on the longevity of his TLT 5s. After 11 pages of awesome reviews in this thread I'm surprised to hear him say it, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has heard or experienced the boots "wearing out".

Now, I'm not a hard booter yet but I'm on the road to becoming one for this season, but with my complete lack of hard boot experience I'm not really sure how boots "wear out". I've been using the same set of softies for 4 or 5 years now and they're still absolutely fine to ride. I asked my friend where his friend's boots were wearing out and he vaguely said "after 2 full seasons of skiing they're wearing out everywhere, just all around wearing out."

Can someone with HB experience decipher this cryptic message? How do HB's wear out, and are the TLT 5s gonna wear out faster than others?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:30 pm 

besty_split wrote:
Can someone with HB experience decipher this cryptic message? How do HB's wear out, and are the TLT 5s gonna wear out faster than others?

Besty,

There is some truth to that. The Grilamid material that is used for the boot lower in many of Dynafit boot lines is softer than more traditional materials. That makes it lighter, but it doesn't handle abuse as well either.

For me, I saw it first-hand on Mt. Rainier where I use to wear ski boots from the parking lot. From just one short daytrip trip my pristine TLT-5P boots looked about 2-3 years (old from all the scratches).

It's like taking a Ferrari down a gnar 4x4 trail. Advice: keep them on snow if possible. In spring and summer, bring tennis shoes or other light hikers for the rocky approach trails. No big deal. And totally worth it for the advantages they offer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:36 pm 

Betsy If I were in your shoes (boots) I would look at getting the women's TLT5. While I do not ride a TLT 5, based on how long this thread has been going (since Mon Mar 28, 2011) and the fact that TLT5 come in a Women's version, make this the boot to try / rent or demo.

See [url]http://www.backcountry.com/dynafit-tlt5-mountain-tf-x-alpine-touring-boot-womens?CMP_SKU=DNF3100&MER=0406&CMP_ID=GAN_GPLA&003=8219600&010=DNF3100&mr:trackingCode=8469ABFF-5CF2-E111-A87C-001B21A69EB8&mr:referralID=NA&mr:match={matchtype}&mr:adType=pla&mr:filter=39311521065&mr:ad=28357291065&mr:keyword={keyword}&origin=pla[/url]

Note most on this thread suggest modifying the forward lean for splitboard in AT boots, which could affect the performance for skiing. Well first try to ride the TLT5 stock, If you still do not like the ride stock, try the Eliminator Custom Tongue":Image
see : http://www.masterfitenterprises.com/eliminator.html This tongue has improved fit and softened the forward lean for me in my Scarpa F1 boots, which I ride stock. If your still do not like the ride, well then try the suggest forward lean modification.

BTW: The Scarpa F1 is an excellent Splitboard AT boot. Especially if you looking to save some coin on a close-out. I got my wife a pair F1s last spring on close-out. For example Sierra Trading post has Scarpa F1 Race in size 24, 27, 27.5 for 49% off. Add in the appropriate key-code to get a greater discounted price! That said this F1s are an excellent touring boot, but are not going to ski all that well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:34 pm 

Thanks for the replies.

Plinko: I don't really mind scratches or the aesthetics of the boot (in other words I'd be a bad Ferrari owner who would never wash it). The real concern here is whether or not they will wear themselves to the point of unusable faster than other pairs of boots. And what does a worn-out-to-the-point-of-unusable look like in a ski boot? what happens?

Powder Rider: I do have an option to look at some F1's cause my local shop still has them in my size. I was reading the F1/F3 thread though and was worried they'd take at least a few mods to be just right, and I'm definitely not an engineer. So you ride your F1s stock eh? Just the tongue added? And I guess you're riding them in ski mode?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:51 pm 

Yep, I ride mine F1s stock with the Eliminator Tongue. I have ridden the split board in ski-mode. If you do decide on the F1 get the slide adapter shim (see http://www.scarpa.com/scarpa/products/ACCESSORIES/p_P.TSP ) from Scarpa and the Dynafit toe pieces bindings.

That said, I would still try both the TLT 5 TF-X and the Scarpa F1 and see which is right for you. And if possible try the Elimintor Tounge with both boots. While I could wear 26.5 mondo ski boot with downhill fit (toe touching the end of the boot), I choose to wear a size 27 mondo boot and have a little more room in the toe box. The tongue allows me to take up some of that volume and create a snug fit, while keeping some room in the toe box, so my toes are warmer.

If you read through the F1/F3 post: a lot of the HBers have have transitions from F1/F3 to TLT5.

So guys and gals who have transitioned from other hard boots to the TLT 5, in particular, if you had the F1 or F3. How does the TLT5 compare to the stock F1 /F3 for splitboarding?

As far a durability, I would give this post a couple days and get more feedback. Also contact some ski mountaineering guides in you area and see what they say about TLT5 durability.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:07 pm 

From the F1/F3 post:

Quote:
Powder_Rider wrote:
Buell: can you offer a comparison between the TLT5 and the Scarpa F1: both in stock from and then in their respected modified form?

The fit is quite similar between the two boots. Very snug, low profile, and light. Without the magic cube mod on the F1s, they both hike and skin really well. The TLTs are definitely better for more technical skinning without the bellow to flex off. Between Rebecca and myself, I have seen several pairs of Scarpa and Dynafit boots. My opinion is that the Dynafits are consisitently a higher quality boot.

I only rode the F1s stock for a day. It was also a while back. I think stock F1 to stock TLT5 without the tongue insert, the F1s were a bit stiffer. Both boots are a bit stiff laterally. I will likely look into softening the lateral flex of the TLTs.

Removing the locking bar on the F1 is comparable to walk mode on the TLT5. The TLT might have more backward motion though. I have no heel side with this option on either boot. That is why I added the magic cube to the F1s and modded the ski/walk bar on the TLTs.

The TLTs skin and walk so much better than the magic cubed F1s. The backward range of motion is tremendous on the TLTs and quite restricted even on the lowest setting of the magic cubed F1s. I am not sure about how the TLTs compare to non modified F1s but I expect they have more range as well.

Buell magic-cube is in reference to the Bent Metal Magic cube he modded unto an F1.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next