Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spark boots?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:15 pm 

96avs01 wrote:
no more :soapbox: from me
Somebody's got a case of the Mondays.... :cry:

96av01 needs a POW-DAY! Hope you get one soon. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:58 pm 

From an NZ perspective these meet the requirements bigtime. So far the 2 sets sold have only a few days on them but the feedback has been all good. Time will tell but I am confident that Spark R&D have brought us a good thing here, its so far ahead of the rest its not funny. I will use this when I need to as an approach boot, albeit a bit clunky compared with a hiking boot at least its up to the job with the Vibram sole and great ankle support! On the snow/ice it will be in its element with the sole, espec when you can whack a set of Crampons on it, I put my Petzl Vasak 12 strapon pointers on the boots and they fit absolutely perfectly, very safe fit and with the stiff shanked sole the crampons will hold on better than a lot of flexier soled hiking boots. The riding feedback from Ryan (southisland splitter) is good, he gets around a bit and is very objective and honest about his review/feedback, so listen to guys who are riding with them and you'll get the good oil. I am off on a trip in 10 days time, we'll be tenting it on some high glacial snowfields in the NZ main divide for 3 nights and I will wear the boots 4 days solid - walking/climbing/skinning/riding , so I will be able to give you a very good review once that trip is done. We will be climbing quite a bit, aiming to nail the peaks in the surrounding area and I am more than confident that I will be fine in these boots for the entire trip no matter what I encounter. No way I'd even consider this trip in any other single boot, this way I have riding comfort and quality, skinning performance and climbing safety and low weight too. Oh yeah I'll add to that, sleeping in the inners too, and theoretically relatively warm and dry most of the time!!! Cheers, Rich

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:19 pm 

You can see him wearing them at 2:01. Just sayin'. IMHO it still boils down to rigid shank vs non. You can't feel the snow as well, you cant make the micro adjustments with your feet, and it often leads to steering from the hips more. Based on my experience with hardboots at least, 3 seasons worth. These boots aren't the end all, but they are certainly a leap in the right direction. For uber long tours or high altitude or freezing cold temps, hard boots all the way.

As far as sizing, how do these compare to the driver x? I've been wearing a 10 or 10.5 in those.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:57 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
96avs01 wrote:
no more :soapbox: from me
Somebody's got a case of the Mondays.... :cry:

96av01 needs a POW-DAY! Hope you get one soon. :D

Thanks Pedro, I needed that! :lol:

It's been more like a Groundhog Day Monday.

CB - I am a boarder, but I consider myself a mountaineer first and foremost. As such, I am as stoked to find a mountaineering boot (Spantik) that rides like an uber stiff snowboard boot as I am sure you are to have the first split-specific snowboard boot. There's lots to like about them, and maybe 2-3 years down the road once they have their features truly dialed (please add a heel bail for hybrid crampons) I may opt to give them a go, until then I will rock my wrong sport gear and endure the countless rolling eyes and pointed finger laughs. :D

BTW, I play golf in trail runners so not sure what kind of looks I should expect :P

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:18 pm 

HFT: re sole stiffness: I think it is not entirely correct to think of boot soles as either "rigid" or "flexible", there is a vast difference in sole stiffness amongst soft boots, and hard boots also vary in sole stiffness. As an example, the Driver X (at least mine from a couple of years back) have a fairly stiff sole , lots of soft boots are much more flexible through the sole. One of my partners just received his new pair of Deeluxe Sparks, and the sole is certainly stiffer than my Driver Xs, and about the same stiffness as the the sole in my Dynafit TLT5s (which actually does have some flexibility, even though it is a "hard" boot). I think it might be more accurate to think of sole stiffness along a continuum, rather than as one of two options: stiff/flexible. Also very important to riding performance is sole thickness: how much boot is between the foot and binding.
As far as the steering with the hips goes, my feeling is that this has a lot more to do with medial, lateral, and forward ankle flex rather than sole flex. I find I can have a nice surfy feel, even with hard boots, as long as the boots allow for adequate lateral, medial, and forward flex, and the bindings allow for a little longitudinal foot roll. The TLT5s, with a little bit of mods, flex in these directions at least as well as a Driver X (I have compared the flex with a Driver X on one foot, and the TLT5 on the other, while on the board). The TLT5 is actually thinner through the sole than the Driver X.
I think the Deeluxe's are a nice option for those who prefer to use a soft boot, certainly the sole is going to add a lot of security anytime one happens to be scrambling around to access lines, and climbing and kicking steps in these should be a pleasure. BTW, I compared the weight of the Deeluxe Spark to my Driver X, and they were within 10 grams of each other: it is nice to see that these boots do not end up being really heavy.

Chris: Your approach clearly works great for ya, that is all that matters. Clearly, our gear only needs to work for us, and we need not be concerned (as I am sure you are not) with others', often inexperienced, opinions.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:49 pm 

some photos :rock:

http://www.splitboard.it/forum/viewtopi ... =13&t=1121

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:54 am 

Barrows, you make some valid points. The boot I was using was quite stiff in all areas (Denali TT) even with all the straps loose and the tongue modified a bit. Also the mountaineering sole and voile bindings had me a good ways off the board deck. I wish I could afford to get the TLT 5s and some race plates/dynafits as my second set up. My wife would probably divorce me before that happens though.[/gear whore]

One thing I dont like about the Spark Deelux is the fuzzy material at the top of the liner. That stuff tends to absorb moisture/ice and takes too long to dry. That said I will still likely be picking up a pair. Thanks for the photos amen! :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:20 am 

HikeforTurns wrote:
Barrows, you make some valid points. The boot I was using was quite stiff in all areas (Denali TT) even with all the straps loose and the tongue modified a bit. Also the mountaineering sole and voile bindings had me a good ways off the board deck. I wish I could afford to get the TLT 5s and some race plates/dynafits as my second set up. My wife would probably divorce me before that happens though.[/gear whore]

HFT: I hear ya! I do think it is important to point out that there are big differences in the stiffness of various hard boot approaches. I could never ride well in something like the Denali TT, or even a Laser for that matter: the TLT5 is in a whole 'nother world of flex. One of my riding partners tried using his Lasers for splitting, and honestly he looked like Frankenstein's Monster when riding (he has the Lasers for skiing), then he rode softs for awhile, and then he picked up an old pair of TLTs (I think TLT 2?), now he is riding well in hard boots. I do not mean to harp on this, I just want those who might be considering hard boots to understand that the right ones do not have to be stiff, even in comparison directly to soft boots, and that experience with one (stiff) hard boot is not the same as experience with a much softer hard boot.

One thing I dont like about the Spark Deelux is the fuzzy material at the top of the liner. That stuff tends to absorb moisture/ice and takes too long to dry. That said I will still likely be picking up a pair. Thanks for the photos amen! :thumpsup:

Yeah, I saw that fuzzy stuff and immediately thought of it icing up-not sure why they put that there, looks like it belongs on some wealthy tourist boot for lift skiers in Aspen or St. Moritz! I hope that by keeping it under the pant cuff it will be OK.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:01 pm 

After extensive testing in my living room, these boots seem legit.  The stiff sole and sturdy toe box are a lot more confidence inspiring than a typical soft boot.  The shell is very similar in profile to Malamutes (with a better lacing system), so not bulky as far as soft boots go, but I do wish the uppers were a little slimmer still.

They seem pretty stiff through the ankle on up, more so than my Malamutes that are a couple of years old with about a season and a half of use.  I do think that there might be a little more fore/aft flex with the velcro power strap loose, which should hopefully be good for skinning and touring flats.

I really hope that having a proper mountaineering sole and the support it provides increases all-day comfort for me.  It seems like it should.  My wimpy feet are typically hurting on big tours, especially on hard snow.

Here are some comparison pics.  Sorry on my phone so just links to the pictures.

Dynafit TLT 4 Lite, Deeluxe Spark, Salomon Malamute (all size 27.5)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:40 pm 

That is an absolutely fucking awesome monoski! And ingenious use of G3 Onyx bindings!

I've ridden with both UTAH and 96avs01, and they both kill it in hard boots.
That is all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:36 pm 

skinning on the monoski is really hard! hip thrust/ pole plant all the way up hill! haha. sorry to stir up shit avs...apologies to all hardbooters...now make a splitboard specific hardboot and ill be behind that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:12 pm 

christoph benells wrote:
skinning on the monoski is really hard! hip thrust/ pole plant all the way up hill! haha. sorry to stir up shit avs...apologies to all hardbooters...now make a splitboard specific hardboot and ill be behind that.

Funnez.

UPGRAYEDD_2505 did you find the spark boot to fit like the malamute? I want to get these Spark boots and I need new boots. I Hate the idea of ordering boots off of the interwebz with out trying them on though.

After riding with Ale_Capone up in Washington I have seen where hard boots have their place (dude kicked my ass up and down everything!). That said, I'm not rushing out to buy a pair because I'm not getting after the G N A R in a place like washington with lots of glaciers and shit.

I need to find a place that has these boots so I can put my foot in one or two and see if I like them and get a good fit before I buy them.

thats all for now. sorry for any sillyness as I've been having a few... :guinness: Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:55 am 

Ed: call All Board Sports in Boulder and ask for Bola, he may have some of these boots in stock for you to try on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next