Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: Spark boots?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:25 pm 

I've been thinking about some BC riding boots I can tromp around in. I have a set of 2-season-old Burton Driver X's that have been treating me great, but some seams are starting to blow and despite my attempts to heal them with some high quality epoxy, I fear they won't last for ever.

To replace them, I have looked at the following boots (with a range of: general riding all the way to crampon-compatible mountaineering)... another set of Burton Driver X's, Flow Talon, Deeluxe Independent BC, and La Sportiva Spantik.

Here is a thumbnail of their specs. Model / Size / Weight for one boot / Overall sole length / Comments
  • Burton Driver X / 43.5 (US 10.5) / 1,121g / 12.25" / Nice short sole length for their size, fits like an 11 to me, stiff, durable, great boot
  • Flow Talon / 44.5 (US 11) / 1,165g / 12.5" / Stiff like the Driver X, nice Boa system, a little longer for a similar fit than the Driver X
  • Deeluxe Independent / 44 (US 11) /1,220g / 13" / Pretty soft boots (more than the Talon or Driver X in sole and uppers), longest sole length
  • La Sportiva Spantik / 44.5 (US 11) / 1,347g / 12.5" / Short cuff height, heavy, stiff sole, rus at least a 1/2 size small, not sure I dig them

Right now I am wearing the Deeluxe Independents around the house with my old Burton Driver X liners, and they feel pretty good. We'll see what I end up with, but right now the Spantiks aren't tempting me much as a replacement for my Burtons.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:09 pm 

Hmmmm...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:04 am 

I've been in a pair of Flow Talons for the majority of this season so far. I broke a BOA third day out, which is why I've never owned a pair of BOA boots till now, but got it fixed and they are fine. I've sized down to an 11 from my street shoe size of 13 and I've really enjoyed pretending like I have smaller feet. Even gotten to ride a few normal waisted boards lately.

Things that I like:
Low Profile
I actually like the footbeds that come with the boots, form to your feet fast.
Lightweight
good traction
I actually like the BOAs when they work and don't break however the sometimes come loose while riding which sucks.
100% WATERPROOF!!!! (wait, aren't all sb boots waterproof?)

Don't like:
I've been getting cold toes, which I never get, but I think this has to do with the downsizing and the fact that I've been standing around in snowpits a lot lately
Hard to take off, Laces only extend so far.
Kinda soft for my preference honestly. I've owned Drvier X and Malamutes and feel like they were stiffer and a bit taller.

At the end of the day, I like the boots.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:00 am 

Unless you are going to use the Spantiks for other pursuits (i.e., ice climbing, mountaineering) I would probably look elsewhere. Or if you have plans to do some extended split trips in the AK range...

Curious why Fitwell didn't make your list?

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:38 pm 

Fitwells would (still are) at the top of my list, but their total unavailability has kept them out of the comparison just now (shipping a couple of pairs over from Europe to find my size is more than I am willing to stomach). If the US distributor ever gets their poo sorted, I would check them out.

I considered the Spantiks due to the effusive praise some folks have heaped on them here; "I may ride them at the resorts, they are so COMFY AND AWESOME!" Etc. :wink:

I popped the size 11 Deeluxe Independents into my size large Afterburners and the amount of heel overhang is worrisome. That is on a 'wide' Jones Solution 163w with a relatively wide and forward stance of +25F and +15R and the pucks in the most toe-edge biased orientation. I have no idea how folks with bigger feet or normal waisted boards use these things.

Who can give me the overall sole length for a US size 11, 29 mondo Fitwell?

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:41 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
I considered the Spantiks due to the effusive praise some folks have heaped on them here; "I may ride them at the resorts, they are so COMFY AND AWESOME!" Etc. :wink:

Don't get me wrong, I really like mine! I would much rather do long approaches in them vs. my Malamutes. Also, for those doing lots of multi-day trips and don't want to use vapor barrier socks, the ability to dry out the liners in your sleeping bag should not be overlooked. I will add that I opted to swap out the stock liners to the liners for the Baruntse, which I like quite a bit more. :twocents:

I have turned laps in-bounds with them on a couple of occasions with no issues/compromise. But usually that was on combination split/resort trips where I was flying and didn't want to pack 2 pairs of boots.

And they do climb far better than my abilities need.

Good luck in your search. You could always convert to the 'Dark Side' and get some Phantoms and TLTs :wink:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:29 pm 

Quote:

That's interesting. The last two pair of Burtons I had (Moto and Jeremy Jones pro model) were size US10.5. My Sparks are size US11.....

The Sparks are definitely a bit more snug and narrower than both my previous pair Burtons.
If you can try them on before you buy.

So If my Burton JeremyJones's size is 9,5 US - I need Spark in size 10 ? Definitely not 9 ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:47 am 

I have been wearing the Burton Ions for the past few years. Just got a pair of the Xaviers. I went with what I have been using for years. 9.5 straight across the board. The Xaviers are a good fit for me at 9.5. Glad I didn't' go bigger. And they have packed out a bit, and fit like a glove.Love them

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15