Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spark boots?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:47 am 

HansGLudwig wrote:
wasatch surf wrote:
whats the big deal with these boot?

what is the advantage?

We're paying for the industry to acknowledge splitboarding in bootware, a Vibaram lug sole, and the Xavier factor.

If this boot blips the radar of manufacturers, maybe (just maybe), they'll be interested in trolling these forums and making a smaller, surfier boot with a heel welt, protected toe box, and Vibram soles.
What? I can dream, can't I?

And better lacing system. If you switch the tightness of your lacing during the day I can see these boots having some issues in the right conditions. Mainly wet -> icy I can see the locking mechanism not functioning properly. I prefer the simplistic design of the Driver X pull back to lock method, KISS.

Two other gripes: fuzzy liner stays wet longer, and the vibram sole doesnt have very good grip on ice or slick rocks (a problem with most mountaineering soles as well).

But I agree, showing support for this type of progression in boot building is key! I'm really liking how these things ride.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:20 pm 

You guys are spot on: sole is pretty slick without crampons, toe still needs work for kicking steps, and the boots are pretty bulky. Lacing - I am still fighting with mine, maybe it needs to be broken in? (didn't have this with the same system in Burton boots)

Having said this, it's a solid stiff boot, fit is snug (= good for me), and I expect it to last a while. I am glad I can support a split-driven company and riders.

I am also curious if in the future we can get a soft boot, with sleeves / pockets to insert carbon stiffeners - something like touring vs. dh tongues in AT boots. But not just tongues - also lateral pieces.This could be a nice modular system, with different options for optimal carbon pieces configuration to suit different riding styles or days, personal anatomy and preferences, etc. Take all out for easy skinning and riding deep dry fluffy pow, to tweak your airs and hit the rails. Then easily stiffen boots up for more tech skinning and challenging descents. I would love something like this.

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:05 pm 

HikeforTurns wrote:
[F]uzzy liner stays wet longer{.]

Why don't you take an electric razor to the fuzzies and solve one gripe?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:48 am 

Not sure what post people are following on these boots so I have posted in two places. I just picked up a pair yesterday and my first impression is ouch. They are killing my feet just walking around the house. My big toe is up against the inside of the liner but I wouldn't say they are overly tight length wise. After about 5 minutes my feet start to hurt on the top and bottom and then my feet start going numb. I have left them on for one or so hours and when I take my feet out they are pins and needles for a minute or two and then they go back to normal. Does anyone have any stories like this? I am thinking of returning them and going back to my trusty Malamutes which fit great from day 1.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:50 am 

dmurphy48 wrote:
Not sure what post people are following on these boots so I have posted in two places. I just picked up a pair yesterday and my first impression is ouch. They are killing my feet just walking around the house. My big toe is up against the inside of the liner but I wouldn't say they are overly tight length wise. After about 5 minutes my feet start to hurt on the top and bottom and then my feet start going numb. I have left them on for one or so hours and when I take my feet out they are pins and needles for a minute or two and then they go back to normal. Does anyone have any stories like this? I am thinking of returning them and going back to my trusty Malamutes which fit great from day 1.

Thanks

Yep they seem to be a pretty low volume fit which is why I had to return them. Heat molding the liner I don't think would have helped as the shell is just a lower volume fit in my opinion. I tried using a thinner pair of Scarpa liners I have and they were still very tight. Oh well!

They may look great on paper but I would take fit over most of the "features" of a pair of boots any day.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:00 am 

It is absurd to criticize the fit of the Deeluxe Spark boots without getting the liner properly molded. Deeluxe is one of the few companies using a truly moldable liner of high quality. The liner must be molded to optimize the fit, plain and simple. One needs to get the liner molded at a reputable shop, by a bootfitter experienced in molding liners.
Only with the liner molded can one get the performance the boot is designed to deliver. This liner is a lot better than the "moldable" liners offered by Burton and Salomon, and unlike those boots, the Deeluxe will not fit properly without being molded.
One of my partners has a pair, he tried on other Deeluxe boots (using shell fit) to order the right size, got the liners molded by the local boot fitting guru here in Boulder, and he could not be happier with the fit, performance, and comfort of these boots.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:03 am 

barrows wrote:
It is absurd to criticize the fit of the Deeluxe Spark boots without getting the liner properly molded. Deeluxe is one of the few companies using a truly moldable liner of high quality. The liner must be molded to optimize the fit, plain and simple. One needs to get the liner molded at a reputable shop, by a bootfitter experienced in molding liners.
Only with the liner molded can one get the performance the boot is designed to deliver. This liner is a lot better than the "moldable" liners offered by Burton and Salomon, and unlike those boots, the Deeluxe will not fit properly without being molded.
One of my partners has a pair, he tried on other Deeluxe boots (using shell fit) to order the right size, got the liners molded by the local boot fitting guru here in Boulder, and he could not be happier with the fit, performance, and comfort of these boots.

I was not criticizing the boots. I was commenting that, for me, the fit was not right out of the box. I was unwilling to make the effort and gamble that heat molding them would make them a good fit for me.

I understand the importance of boot fitting and how much can be done, especially with plastic shelled boots like my Scarpa F1s.

Shit like this reminds me why I keep my opinion to myself most of the time on here even if I think it might be useful for other fat footed people like me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:19 am 

Huh?

"Shit like this reminds me why I keep my opinion to myself most of the time on here even if I think it might be useful for other fat footed people like me."

Facts of boot fitting are not "shit like this", it is clear that you do understand this, but I am not clear on why you would evaluate the fit of the boot without proper molding?

Deeluxe uses real moldable liners, unlike the "moldable" liners common in most soft snowboard boots (my recent experiences have been with Salomon and Burton). The Deeluxe liners need to be molded, and the out of the box fit is not a reliable way to evaluate the boots. If you got the right shell size in the Deeluxe boots, and then had the liners properly molded, then your opinion would have value and could be "useful"; without molding the liners, you do not know much about how the boots will really fit.

As you likely know as well, there are a few ways to help a wider foot work in a slightly narrower boot: using heel lifts, using a supportive custom footbed, varus wedges in the heel and/or forefoot, and shimming the entire sole up, can all help overcome problems, depending on the origins of the problems.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:23 am 

Geez barrows, it is just a forum group, no need to get your panites in a wad. I have been boarding for over 20 years and this is the first time I put on a boot and it fit so poorly that my feet went numb. Since I can't return them if I heat mold them I am risking $300 that the heat molding will work. Talking with Bent Gate they have indicated to me that you shouldn't expect miracles from heat molding. It is great your friend had this all work out for him, for me, it is not worth the risk unless everyone that buys these have the same experience. That was the input I was looking for.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:40 am 

dmurphy48 wrote:
Geez barrows, it is just a forum group, no need to get your panites in a wad. I have been boarding for over 20 years and this is the first time I put on a boot and it fit so poorly that my feet went numb. Since I can't return them if I heat mold them I am risking $300 that the heat molding will work. Talking with Bent Gate they have indicated to me that you shouldn't expect miracles from heat molding. It is great your friend had this all work out for him, for me, it is not worth the risk unless everyone that buys these have the same experience. That was the input I was looking for.

First of all, apologies if I hurt anyones' feelings! That is certainly not my intent, and neither is it to call into question anyone's level of experience.
My point is to explain that Deeluxe boots use a real moldable liner, and that this liner is different (much better than) the so called "moldable" liners provided by Burton and Salomon, which really do not mold much at all. The Deeluxe liner will change significantly with molding, and out of the box fit is not going to tell the entire story of how the boots will fit once the liner is molded.
It is too bad that not everyone has access to a good dealer, as a good dealer will guarantee the fit of a boot they sell, and will take it back after molding. Note, that like Intuition, Deeluxe liners can be molded a few times as long as they are not overheated. If you have a reasonable shell fit in the boot, you should be able to get a good fit with molding, and, if necessary, a little additional bootfitting to address any problem areas. Certainly, dmurphy48, if you have a feeling of low volume, molding the liners will make a big difference. Knowing the guys at Bent Gate, I am a little surprised that they would not allow you to mold the liners to check for the perfect fit, I consider them a very professional and helpful dealer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:51 pm 

I've been holding off on posting a detailed review on these boots as I have been mostly skiing on my patrol days this year nd have only one half day of touring and a couple of days riding on the Sparks. I just wanted to post a short note on my experience with moulding.
I couldn't wear these boots for more than 10 minutes out of the box without my feet first cramping and then going numb. Keeping them on for an hour was out of the question. I decided to roll the dice and mould them after a few similar opinions on the out of box fit. I figured I would never know if I sent them back and I might possibly be returning a great pair of boots. The moulding made a massive difference. I can wear them all day but I still have a few sore spots as I find the liner to be very firm and the toe box on top of my toes to be tight. This lcation was not much affected by the moulding. I have difficult feet and if I'm not on the move I get uncomfortable in all my boots, ski boots and even my five season old Drivers so I'm not expecting miracles. Like I said I only have a few days in the boots and the difference from out of the box and after moulding went from unbearable to feeling like a dozen days will likely work out the minor discomfort I have experienced. Time will tell. Hope that helps a little.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:05 pm 

Thanks for the information folks. Unfortunatley I couldn't find a local dealer to buy these boots from so I ordered them online, which is the reason I am more or less on my own for the heat molding. I don't want to give the impression that I bought these from Bent Gate and they wouldn't work with me because I did not (I tried but they don't sell them). Bent Gate is a great store but I wouldn't expect them to warantee a boot fitting for a boot I did not buy at their store. Believe me if I was able to get these heat molded without fear of losing out on my purchase I would do so but given the situation I will probably have to pass on the boots. Does anyone know local stores that sell these in the Denver area? I couldn't find any informaiton on Deeluxe's website and the stores that do carry Deeluxe (Colorado Ski and Golf) don't stock this boot.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:44 pm 

I ordered mine direct from Spark and regardless of whether I got them moulded at a Deeluxe dealer or not, they were not returnable after moulding, so there is no "warranty" on the fit no matter who moulds them for you. Any respectable ski/board shop that moulds/fits other brands should be able to help you out and the risk of having to keep the boots will be the same as if you had them done at a dealer. I understand where you're coming from and my decision to mould/keep them was partly based on the fact that I have small feet and had already exhausted all other options for boots this year so it was either mould/keep these boots or use my tired old Driver's another season. The new Driver's and Malamutes weren't to my liking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next