Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spark boots?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:25 am 

Quote:
yeah, I saw that fuzzy stuff and immediately thought of it icing up-not sure why they put that there, looks like it belongs on some wealthy tourist boot for lift skiers in Aspen or St. Moritz! I hope that by keeping it under the pant cuff it will be OK

Maybe we could take the buzz trimmer to that stuff and get rid of it. I dislike frilly stuff like that, one of the reasons I have zero interest with a lot of mainstream snowboarding stuff in stores.

I think one of the big reasons soft booters, like me, don't try hardboots is that its a pretty good investment to try it out. Especially with all the personal mods that seem to go into them to make them ride well. Because it is so personal fit wise, it makes it tough to just grab some other guys board and go for a lap. I cant ride with a forward stance myself, I have tried a few times. It seems most hardbooters use that stance.

I may get a pair of these boots, depending how they fit in store. Not sure I will need em yet anyways, Im doing fairly gentle lines in the backcountry anyways, but I do need new boots..and I would rather just have one do it all pair.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:29 am 

ehcarley: like others have alluded to, the Sparks sizing is a little on the tight side. So much so that you'd want to size up from your malamute? Not in my case, but I have mismatched feet that are low-volume; if I went bigger heel lift would be a problem.

Like others have said, at $350 these are a good deal for a backcountry boot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:55 pm 

Why no love for us bigg hooved men :cry: They fit small and only come up to 12.5.........weeeeeeak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:01 pm 

Actually, I sized down. Been wearing an older size 10 Driver X that fit just about perfectly and was able to squeeze into a size 9 (mondo 27) on the Spark. I had the liner molded immediately so they streched it out a bit.

1st impressions are solid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:03 am 

classicauto wrote:
Why no love for us bigg hooved men :cry: They fit small and only come up to 12.5.........weeeeeeak

I was thinking the same thing, but it looks like the toe and heels are not beveled like many boots on the market these days. That would mean that us bigger hoofed guys would have potential for even more toe/heel drag. I'd love to snatch up a pair of these but I'm gonna wait till I can get my hands on some and maybe demo.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:46 am 

shredgnar wrote:
classicauto wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, but it looks like the toe and heels are not beveled like many boots on the market these days. That would mean that us bigger hoofed guys would have potential for even more toe/heel drag. I'd love to snatch up a pair of these but I'm gonna wait till I can get my hands on some and maybe demo.

I hear ya'

The last boots I bought (thirty two summits) were bought on a number of factors, the major one was that the external profile of the boot was much smaller then the ones I had been looking at. But, I'm still a pretty solid 13 in nearly everything. Even climbing shoes :shock: I'll do *anything* to minimize toe drag.....but I hate paying for wide decks lol

I'll have to see if I can try them on locally, any comment on the external shell size vs. other boots? Bigger? smaller?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:19 pm 

classicauto wrote:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:23 pm 

classicauto wrote:
The last boots I bought (thirty two summits)...

how have you liked those? looking at the thirtytwo sonics for big-pawed reasons...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:25 pm 

shredgnar, Sawatch backcountry in leadville has the boots in stock.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:15 am 

kings run east wrote:
classicauto wrote:
The last boots I bought (thirty two summits)...

how have you liked those? looking at the thirtytwo sonics for big-pawed reasons...

They're nice! Quite light and very comfortable. I do wish the inner liner adjustment cinched down tighter, but its not bad. Just the way the little stopper locks makes it hard to get that perfect tension - it always lets off a touch beffore it grabs. As I mentioned the exterior dimensions are quite small for a large boot though, a full 1.5cm shorter then my old forum destroyers.

But pretty decent boots really, only ran them since last season though but so far so good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:49 pm 

I recommend buying a full size larger you think. I usually wear an 11 (wide) sized boot. I ordered a 11.5 and it was juust too short and overall fit a bit too snugly. (My foot fell asleep after a half-hour). I am in the process of exchanging them for 12's. I'm hoping they'll do the trick.

The boot itself is reasonably light weight yet still feels real solid. I practiced toe- and side-edging on a curb. The Vibram lugs on the outside edge of the boot didn't roll when fully weighted; (like a mountain bike tire would in a high-speed turn on asphalt). So stoked about that.

The SCL string tightening system is real slick. On either side of each foot there are two strings (which actually are one giant string connected at the toe). The front string of the left tightens the boot around the foot and the front string of the right tightens the shin. The rear strings are connected so if you pull on one side, it will shorten the other side. There is a sliding plastic lace-locking system which seems easy to use in the cold. I kind of have fears of the top sliding part popping off if I get excited and pull too hard (That's probably a bonus reason for the power strap). Also there is a fair amount of give in the material at the top of the boot (where the clip is). That give and the tiny amount of string the plastic clip requires to lock make it difficult to dial in the "perfect" amount of tension. This can be mitigated with either a) practice or b) velcroing the power strap first, then tightening the laces, then re-adjusting the power strap.

They are stiff boot. 'Course I have yet to break them in (let alone get them baked and formed to my feet). A cool thing about the lacing system is (for touring/hiking) you can keep the power strap velcroed, release the plastic clip, and instantly loosen all the lacing. I think they may be a bit too stiff for Noboarding. That just means I have to break them in on a hike and reassess he situation.

There is a little interior lacing bootie for the liner which velcroes to the back of the inside of the shell to reduce heel lift. I question the wisdom of the detachable bootie. It seems to me that heels lift with more force than one square inch of velcro sticks; making the bootie just extra weight. But my name is not Xavier and I don't design anything. I could be wrong.

I love how solid the pull straps at the top of the shank and tongue feel. Like I can really pull hard (if needed) to get the boots on. I also love the pockets in the back of the upper to stow the lacing.

Re: the fuzzies. In SoCal, I spend most of my season chasing pockets of spring corn and slush. Many days, it's too hot for gaiters let alone snowboard pants. I prefer tufted uppers to normal fabrics so the ice doesn't get deep into the boot and melt. Fuzzies let the ice melt on the top of the upper and evaporates instead.

Bottom line. You mean, for the price of a quality normal boot, I can have a quality backcountry boot!? No mods necessary? I'm sold!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:32 pm 

Am I the only one who thinks that these boots are still nothing special?

Haven't ridden in them yet, but....... I went for a hike in them yesterday and I still feel like I'm wearing a squishy, kinda cheap feeling resort boot?!

Two main points of feedback for Deeluxe:

1) The toe box is as squishy as any other snowboard boot; If you take your thumbs, you can press them all the way into the toe-box. I was kicking a tree has hard as I can yesterday, and gave myself toebang. In my La Sportiva's I can kick all I want and all is dandy...

2) Sole is too thick, and too soft: For a hybrid snowboard/climbing boot, I feel that you need thinness for board feel, and rigidity for climbing performance (which also actually enhances board feel). This sole is super thick, and also extremely soft. The actual Vibram sole and tread pattern is FANTASTIC, but its support structure is nothing more than neoprene foam. I would be willing to pay an extra hundred bucks for a real crampon welt!

When I ride them I'll post more thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:15 pm 

russman wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that these boots are still nothing special?

no

russman wrote:
I would be willing to pay an extra hundred bucks for a real crampon welt!

not sure if I'm willing to shed more blood but we do need a better boot for the hills. (ok, if it were the real deal I'd pony up).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next