Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: french alps Guru
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:20 pm 

hey Guys,

I'm looking for some wisdom from all of you. I'm planning a trip to the french alps in late february and I need some advise.

I want to plan a 4to6 days trip (not including flights + prep) for two splitting newbs. My girlfriend and I are looking for something not to rough but very scenic. we are equip for moderate mountaineering and winter camping but would rather splitboard up to a hut and send a few lines everyday and board back to the hut to crash.

Anybody been to the alps lately? anybody know where I should start looking???? any huts that you guys know that are fun to skin to and that the mountain ranges around are super cool but not to exposed?

thanks a lot

cheers

Post subject: Re: french alps Guru
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:03 am 

Hej man,

Sounds like a cool trip.

Do you have any set destination in the french alps?

Although I'm sure there is plenty to find in France (I will check with my friends) I know there are some cool guys in Aoste Italy.
Know a lot of tours in the area, can provide transfers and Italy is awesome for food, and has great accommodation pricing.

PM me if you want more info on that stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:44 am 

dedesplit wrote:
hey Guys,

I'm looking for some wisdom from all of you. I'm planning a trip to the french alps in late february and I need some advise.

I want to plan a 4to6 days trip (not including flights + prep) for two splitting newbs. My girlfriend and I are looking for something not to rough but very scenic. we are equip for moderate mountaineering and winter camping but would rather splitboard up to a hut and send a few lines everyday and board back to the hut to crash.

Anybody been to the alps lately? anybody know where I should start looking???? any huts that you guys know that are fun to skin to and that the mountain ranges around are super cool but not to exposed?

thanks a lot

cheers

I live, grew up and was born in the french alps (I'm 1h from Chamonix).

If you want a very scenic trip, it's better to go around Chamonix. Camping is not so popular around here but you can find easily find huts/chalets - I can't help you much there as I mostly do daily trips...

You might start looking at Les Grand Montets - you can take the lift up to 3200m and start on the glacier toward "Le Col de La Tour Noir" - Very Scenic and pretty easy

Check out this too:

http://carnetsdumont-blanc.blogspot.fr/ ... ce-ne.html

There are many things to do around here. You might want to hire a guide though...

The BIG problem you might have in late february: it's full holiday season in France - the time the resorts are so crowded I'm not taking any lifts (only splitboading).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:14 am 

In general the entire western Alps offers majestic mountain peaks, powder snow, possibility of large climbing trip and of course splitboarding with endless possibilities

In France, the areas with the best chance are undoubtedly those of Mont Blanc that offer vertical descent also 2500/3000mt! but they are also very popular and as a result you can be disappointed by too many people. Also often serve high alpine skills

It might also be interesting to the Italian side, Valle d'Aosta, which is less crowded and offers 3 groups of mountains over 4000 meters high vertical descent, all conveniently served by guides and paths legendary climbing. In addition, there is already a great snowy background that will ensure an excellent season.
Famous is the area of ​​Monte Rosa for long trips splitboard and high altitude ensures high vertical descent and breathtaking landscapes, as well as deep snow until May.
The beauty is that in 1 hour by car you can reach both places French and Italian

Or if you want to stay in France is also an interesting area of ​​Barres des Ecrins or Val D'Isere. :)

...Splitboarding is art...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:49 pm 

Hi guys,

So I decided to go to Beaufortain, north of Aime, France. Probably will hike up the first day to the *refuge de la coire*. Then have fun in the mountain range 5-6 days, (always finishing the day at the hut) and come back down on the last day.

Anybody got any tips on how to pack for this 8-9 day trip, the hut is fully equipped with beds, blankets and a stove. So I'm looking to have a check list for for the stuff I should bring.

this is what I want to bring for now :

snowboarding gear :
4 paires of socks
2 paires of "long-john"
1 mid layer for legs
1 bib
3 top-base layers
1 mid layer
1 hard shell
2 paires of gloves
googles
helmet
poles
split
boots

(all this X 2 because we'll be 2 (girlfriend and I)

mountaineering gear:
backpack (40L)
harness
daisy chain
ice axe
crampons

food:
burner+ pots n pans?
cliff bars or equivalent
dehydrated food (12 servings, should be max so i dont get to sick of this kind of food)
bread
cheese
hot chocolate powder
chocolate
pasta
pesto
what else?????

miscellaneous:
2 t-shirts
hat
sunglasses
sunscreen
lip balm
0°C sleeping bag?
pulk?

pretty much what I can think of for 2night. Am I packing to much? do you think I should be bringing a bigger backpack or the pulk for me and my girl.

Thanks a million guys, split-on!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:46 pm 

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't know the Beaufortin well. I went many times to Les Contamines resort (west part of Beaufortin) but I've never been splitboarding in this range. I know that one of my friend made a lot of ski touring around this resort and he told me it is beautiful.
The "refuge" seems to be very nice and very well located. It is not so far from Lac de Roselend which is a beautiful place. I've never been there during the winter but I made a stop next to the lake last summer during a motorbike trip.
I think you made a very good choice and for sure you will have a lot of fun. Snow conditions are really good in the Alps for the time being.
If you want to spend a day in the Aravis or Haut Giffre (not far at all from Beaufortin) range during your vacation we can try to organize an outing together...

Most of the time I go out for one day so I'm probably not the good person to give advice on what to pack for a 5 days trip in a hut but your list seems to be reasonable. Do not forget to bring IGN maps (or GPS with topo/IGN maps) of the range, thermos flask, whiskey... :)

You should also have a look at the following websites:

http://www.camptocamp.org/
http://www.skitour.fr/

Most of the outings reports and routes descriptions are in french but I think it could help...

MTPBWY