Forums The Gear Room what pack works best for you?
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #589215
    SanFrantastico
    1514 Posts

    Hmmm… Cost and weight…. I’ve heard of those before. Hmmm…

    Actually, I can see your point. When the board is on my feet my pack checks in at around 15 – 18 lbs. (I’m not a weight fanatic, I love to eat fried chicken, and I always pack snowboard crampons.) And I really don’t need structure in my pack for that kind of weight.

    But when the snowboard goes on my back, it turns into more like 30 lbs. And they are damn awkward pounds, too!

    I used the Atmos frame as an example because I thought the frame was really lightweight and elegant and the 25 and 35 liter Atmos packs hold the same volume as the two bigger (26 and 36 liter) Switch packs.

    I have a Crescent 85 for Summer backpacking and I used an Exposure 66 on my 3-day Shasta trip.

    The Exposure was rad!! A 69 liter pack with frame and padded hip belt that checks in at 4 lbs, 2 oz, 14 ounces more than the Switch 26. Nice! I spent about 8 hours in crampons climbing with my board strapped to that pack and it was soooo nice having the weight stable and off my shoulders. I hardly noticed the board on my back at all.

    As you point out, the big drawback was that the pack was empty (all the stuff was at basecamp) so I had to rig straps to compress the unused volume of the bag. That’s why separate board carry and compression straps would be nice, but I digress…

    Anyhoo, is it worth it to always carry the extra weight of a small frame that you only really need when the board is on your back?? It’s a judgement call, but a frame makes it sooo much more comfortable to schlepp a board…

    Putting the poo in swimming pool since 1968.

    #589216
    jimw
    1421 Posts

    @bcrider wrote:

    Jimw,
    You mean you haven’t sent your thoughts to Stephen yet? You’re gonna give us a bad name man. That was supposed to be done months ago. 😉

    There was no “due date” when I talked to him… I’m not a “sponsored athlete” like some people ya know, just a friend who happens to use the stuff. 🙂 Anyway I’m on it now.

    I agree with you on some of your thoughts. The snowboard carry could be improved upon for times with you don’t have much stuff inside the pack. The ski pole carry could also be improved although I really haven’t experienced what I would consider a real problem with it.

    If you have anything on the back panel, attaching ski poles becomes a big issue. I always have something on the back panel. The snowboard carry issue is a big one for me. I want that thing as stable as possible. When I have the board on my back, it usually means I’m climbing up some sketchy chute, and I have plenty of other stuff to worry about besides my board flopping around.

    Quote:
    Maybe we should hound them for a bcrider “backcountry snowboarderâ€Â
    #589217
    fortysix2
    112 Posts

    I’ve not had good experience with Dakine…

    Dakine Poacher:
    I bought it because of the back panel access. It lasted 2 years. The snowboard straps broke, the hipbelt was worn at the seam, and the armstrap was about to break at the bottom as well. But, I loved that back access panel, so the next year I bought…

    Dakine Guide:
    The hip belt was big enough to strap around a horse. I actually had to wrap the belt around my waist several times so it wouldn’t dangle. The pack material was not working, as it was freying and ripping all over the place. I broke 2 or 3 buckles including the hip buckle. Thank god for that extra 2 linear feet of strap, so I could tie a knot. So, I took it back to REI. But, I loved that back access panel, so the next year I bought…

    Dakine Poacher AGAIN:
    I thought perhaps they would have improved, or maybe I just got a bad pack. Well, I have the exact same problems with this pack. I have duct-taped the arm strap, so I it doesn’t completely break. The snowboard straps might last another season if I’m lucky. I also do not like the fact that this pack has too many straps and buckles.

    My next pack will not be a Dakine. I also beat the crap out of my gear, so I’ll be looking for something that is more durable. I do like the back panel access, so that might drive part of my decission. It sounds like Osprey has some good stuff.

    #589218
    ReeferMadness
    43 Posts

    @SanFrantastico wrote:

    ReeferMadness – I don’t think the M30 does horizontal snowboard carry, but I haven’t actually found one to check out in person yet. I’ll let you know if I find out.

    Thanks SF, It doesn’t look like the Osprey’s offer horizontal carry either.. (at least the Switch26 doesn’t) It’s too bad I’m sick of trying to cram all my crap into my Heli pro.

    It makes me think though, do you guys prefer carrying your boards vertically if you have a choice? I don’t really like it that much because it makes my pack feel top heavy and if its windy its even worse. Of course I am biased as a pack w/o horizontal board carry is pretty much a showstopper for me.

    Although this is on my shopping list 😀 😀 😀
    http://www.cheetahfactoryracing.com/snowboardbracket.htm

    #589219
    bcrider
    4150 Posts

    Reefer,

    Check out the Burton AK pack line.
    http://www.burton.com/BagsCatalog.aspx?index=4

    Tons of sizes, all snowboard specific, and many of them have the horizontal board carrying system that you need for sledding. 🙂

    Re the horizontal carry method. For me personally, in any application other than sledding, it is useless. Vertical is the way to go when you are hiking, sail effect or not. But just because it doesn’t work for me doesn’t me it can’t work for someone else. 🙂

    #589220
    jimw
    1421 Posts

    @bcrider wrote:

    Horizontal is the way to go when you are hiking, sail effect or not.

    Er, you mean vertical right? 😉

    #589221
    ReeferMadness
    43 Posts

    @bcrider wrote:

    Reefer,

    Re the horizontal carry method. For me personally, in any application other than sledding, it is useless. Horizontal is the way to go when you are hiking, sail effect or not. But just because it doesn’t work for me doesn’t me it can’t work for someone else. 🙂

    I agree horizontal carry can be lame especially in the trees, carrying a board in general is lame though right? 😈

    #589222
    bcrider
    4150 Posts

    @jimw wrote:

    @bcrider wrote:

    Horizontal is the way to go when you are hiking, sail effect or not.

    Er, you mean vertical right? 😉

    um…yeah…120…121…whatever it takes! 😆

    #589223
    Shep
    525 Posts

    What about BD’s Avalung packs… They finally have them up on their website, which, I assume, means that you can actually get one. They claim to have board carrying capability, but I see no photos or diagrams of how such a thing would be done, and looking at them, nothing jumps out at me. But, I’m still tempted by the fact that I have a major safety tool that I don’t even have to think about taking with me… it’s just there. Anyone else have thoughts on these? Anyone actually seen these in person?

    #589224
    bcrider
    4150 Posts

    @Shep wrote:

    What about BD’s Avalung packs… They finally have them up on their website, which, I assume, means that you can actually get one. They claim to have board carrying capability, but I see no photos or diagrams of how such a thing would be done, and looking at them, nothing jumps out at me. But, I’m still tempted by the fact that I have a major safety tool that I don’t even have to think about taking with me… it’s just there. Anyone else have thoughts on these? Anyone actually seen these in person?

    The technology definitely has some safety benefits. It will be cool when they license it to other pack companies too. Looking forward to some firsthand reports of how the snowboard carry works too.

    Proof of the added safety.
    http://www.telemarktips.com/TeleNews42.html
    http://www.couloirmag.com/articles/dynamic_articlepg.php?articleID=144

    Too bad I can’t find a Splitboard.com Sales Agent so we could get our hands on one.

    #589225
    MykeBurtonS70
    59 Posts

    @Barret wrote:

    Alot of the Osprey packs are now coming with removable and moldable hip belts, so you mite ask your local shop if you can get a hip belt off of one of their big back packs and put it on your day pack when you need it.
    -Barret

    Good idea – Someone needs to make a daypack with PHAT suspension for the long summertime approach carrying board, boots, etc. Call it the Rainer or Shasta or some of the other summertime hotspot where you’d use it.

    #589226
    karma surf
    191 Posts

    Got the super-hook-up-deal that I couldn’t pass up on the BD Covert 32L pack. This has the Avalung built in, I’ll let you know what I think of the pack as it pertains to board carry… I won’t have the pack for a few more days, so I can’t comment yet on the options.

    As far as the Avalung goes, there is documented evidence that you can last considerably longer buried with it… if you are quick enough to get the thing in your mouth!

    #589227
    SanFrantastico
    1514 Posts

    @MykeBurtonS70 wrote:

    Good idea – Someone needs to make a daypack with PHAT suspension for the long summertime approach carrying board, boots, etc. Call it the Rainer or Shasta or some of the other summertime hotspot where you’d use it.

    I really need a new pack this season and I’ve been thinking along these lines lately. So I put some effort into tracking down an alpine day pack with decent suspension. I found one and brought it home so I could fill it with gear before deciding whether or not I’ll keep it. I’m naming this product review…

    The Arc’teryx M30… Odd? Or oddly effective??

    First, some stats. This is a 28 liter pack with a board carry system and a nice little lightweight aluminum suspension. As predicted by BCR, it is heavier and more expensive than another top-quality pack of the same size. The size large Osprey Switch 26 is also 28 liters and it weighs 1.47 kg, to the M30’s 1.85 kg. That’s a difference of about 13 ounces. The price difference is pretty radical, though. $130 for the Switch 26 vs $190 for the M30, which puts it in the crazy-ass expensive range. I think part of that cost goes toward waterproof fabric, zippers, and construction. The rest must go into the pockets of some shady Canadian.

    Now… What’s odd about the M30? Pretty much everything.

    Exhibit 1 is the touted ‘hose clip,’ a feature they point out in every ad.

    Uhm… Is that just a crap rubber gasket?

    Or how about the two external pockets? The top pocket is just big enought to maybe hold a king-size snickers bar.

    Good thing it has that waterproof zipper so that my king-size snicker will stay nice and dry!

    I really had trouble finding the advertised “shovel pocket.”

    Here it is… you just have to open three compression straps and look under a flap to find it. I guess you can fit a shovel in there. But not the handle.

    So as you can see, my relationship with the M30 was a little rocky at the start. Next I had to figure out how to open the much vaunted RollTop lid closure. What the hell is a RollTop lid, anyway?

    Well, first you loosen this vertical strap on each side…

    Then you unfold the top…

    And then wow! The whole main compartment is wide open in about 2 seconds!

    The main compartment is just a big, featureless bag with a wide open mouth that you can huck gear into. If you like zipping shit into a million little pockets, then this is not the pack for you. The only thing in the main compartment is little piece of stretchy mesh up against the framesheet which does a fantastic job of holding a hydration bladder snugly in place. You would have to have some stuff sacks to use this pack effectively because there are no other usable pockets.

    The board carry systems is odd, too. Check out these little Hypalon loop thingy’s.

    Each loop has a buckle in the middle. Each side of the main buckle is buckled directly to the frame with an adjustable strap. You open the loop…

    You lay the board on top, close the loop, and then cinch the board up tight to the frame, compressing the pack as you go.

    Jimw – you will love how steady this holds a board. The board is tight on the frame and immobile. All the weight is carried comfortable and stable on the big, padded hip belt. I loaded the pack with gear. (helmet, jacket, extra layer, shovel, probe, skins, splitboard crampons, repair kit, and food) With the board, the whole thing weighed 32 pounds and it was just incredibly comfortable on my back.

    Now here’s the part I love. Suppose it gets windy and cold halfway up a steep climb and you decide you could use an extra layer. Remember that weird RollTop?

    You just unroll it, and pop open the buckles that compress the board to the frame, and you have access to the whole main compartment in about 2 seconds!!

    Anyway, this pack is definitely an odd concept and probably not something everyone would like. But I like it because it carries weight and a board really well you can access your gear really easily.

    And some of those other odd features aren’t that bad, either. Remember that little top zip? It actually hold a camera pretty well and it is easy to access with the pack on your back.

    And that lame rubber gasket/hose clip? I replaced it with a keyring/crappiest invention ever.

    And finally, I don’t suppose you noticed those odd plastic clip thingys on the sides of the bag…

    Nice! Now I just have to hope this thing lasts for a decade to justify the price.

    Putting the poo in swimming pool since 1968.

    #589228
    jimw
    1421 Posts

    Looks cool… I’ll have to track one down to check out. My old Burton is getting pretty worked. Can you do an A-frame carry on that pack?

    #589229
    SanFrantastico
    1514 Posts

    No – there is no A-frame carry system. Arcteryx claims that the hypalon loop thingy is a ‘snowboard or ski carrying system,’ but I didn’t try it with skis or with the board in split mode and it’s not clear to me that it would work well. I’ll have to try it when I get a chance.

    Oh yeah – ReeferMadness – no horizontal carry on this model either. I think some of the Da Kine packs have it. My Blade did, but I despised that pack.

    Putting the poo in swimming pool since 1968.

    #589230
    MykeBurtonS70
    59 Posts

    Thanks for the review of the M30, that’s one I had my eye on.

    Seems a bit funky in design but if it carries well, then it’s doing what it should. Look forward to hearing how it performs in practice.

    FYI – It’s snowing like crazy in the rockies!!!

    #589231
    bcrider
    4150 Posts

    Thanks for the detailed review SF! 8)

    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, “life is a series of tradeoffsâ€Â

    #589232
    Splitfire
    327 Posts

    Arc’teryx has some sort of obsession with making everything SLIM. Guess thats why there so light. That roll down top is like a lot of my drybags for the river. As long as it works…

    #589233
    bcrider
    4150 Posts

    @Splitfire wrote:

    Guess thats why there so light.

    1.85 kilogram = 4.078 lbs

    That aint exactly “lightâ€Â

    #589234
    Splitfire
    327 Posts

    You bastards and your fancy metric system

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.