Forums Splitboard Talk Forum Lassen and Shasta beta?
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #580357
    C balke
    74 Posts

    Does anyone know how Lassen and Shasta are looking?

    I may try to head up there mon/tue.
    Thanks!

    #678464
    96avs01
    875 Posts

    Robin’s blog has a Shasta post yesterday: http://mountshastaguide.com/blog/

    165 Venture Divide/Spark Frankenburners/La Sportiva Spantiks
    163W Jones Solution/Phantom Alphas/Dynafit TLT5s
    162 Furberg

    Chris

    #678465
    TEX
    2486 Posts

    I have been calling the Fifth Season for about four weeks now. According to them as of last week it was just about ready for some turns. But the last report was a week old. 11-13-14 so Robin would be more accurate

    530.926.5555

    #678466
    Deebo
    33 Posts

    For what it’s worth I was up at South Yolla Bolly mountain in the coastal range, not far from Lassen on Friday. Toured on the 4-6″ of snow that was there from like 6500 ft up to the 8,000 ft summit. Pretty sure it rained pretty high up though to like 8,000 ft for most of the storm on Saturday and washed most if not all of the snow away, so you might be hiking for a while or at least to around that elevation. That was the coastal range and maybe Lassen/Shasta faired better though.

    #678467
    C balke
    74 Posts

    Even though things didn’t pan out for me on this trip, I appreciate the help!

    If anyone else made/makes it up there I’m interested to hear how the conditions are.

    #678468
    snowsnowsnow
    54 Posts

    I will keep my eye out and try to make it up to Lassen/Shasta in the next few weeks and post some info on conditions.

    #678469
    TEX
    2486 Posts

    Im planning on Dec 5,6 and 7. Coming up from San Diego

    #678470
    liketoride
    263 Posts

    It was snowing on Saturday up at the bunny flat trailhead. There was maybe 6-8 inches on the ground. It is sticky snow, with rain at Mt. Shasta city. Maybe more snow on the way this week.

    The guys at 5th season said they haven’t heard many people talking about climbing or skiing yet, lots of wind, not much snow.

    Earnyourturns from Instagram said he split up there last week and rode it to the car. He must be like a Jedi knight of log and shrubbery jibbing.

    We didn’t climb, pictures from the trailhead:

    Here is the Avy forecast website for shasta.
    http://www.shastaavalanche.org

    Splitboarding is the answer unless Splitbooting is the answer, either way we're going snowboarding because America!

    #678471
    _ZakMills
    72 Posts

    Pretty bleak conditions on shasta last Wednesday. Surprisingly, the riding was easier once we were in the trees. Riding down green butte felt like riding on 2″ of snow. Literally. Rocks everywhere but I thought it was a fun puzzle to solve. My friends took their boards off and walked a bit, I felt up to the challenge. I rode from the top of Green Butte down to the car at bunny flat with no major scratches/core shots. I’d be happy to share photos if anyone’s interested. I’ll need to email them to you though, don’t know how posting photos on sb.com works. Sounds like snow is falling up there right now and i’m thinking i’ll go have a look tomorrow morning.

    #678472
    _ZakMills
    72 Posts

    Tex get in touch with me when you head north. Are you coming up to Bend for the Dirksen Derby? Let’s link up regardless. I’m currently residing between shasta and bend.

    #678473
    TEX
    2486 Posts

    Tex get in touch with me when you head north. Are you coming up to Bend for the Dirksen Derby? Let’s link up regardless. I’m currently residing between shasta and bend.

    Once again Im not going that far north. The snow is there I think, but saturday has that dreaded word in the forecast. “Breezy”

    Ha, I been to Shasta enough to know “Breezy” and I dont want no part of that

    Going to Tahoe and Hope to find something

    #715975
    jibmaster
    446 Posts

    For what it’s worth I was up at South Yolla Bolly mountain in the coastal range…

    Nice! There appears to be about a foot of snow on Black Butte right now.
    Probably good coverage from Mendo. Pass.
    Next round of storms look to be colder.
    Hull could use it.

    http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/earth/

    #725988
    Cbalke
    237 Posts

    I got back yesterday from a sweet road trip up north to Mt. Shasta and Bend, OR.

    Gener and I ended up riding Shasta Monday afternoon and a little bit on Tuesday before the rain was expected to hit. Both days we were in the fog and clouds so the visibility was not too great. Lucky for us the clouds partially broke right before we rode on Tuesday. The snow at 8000′ and up was great but below that things got progressively worse down to Bunny Flat. The coverage was decent enough for us to ride to the car both days.

    Reports were calling for up to 4 feet by this last Friday and we could tell the snow levels were much lower when we drove by on the way home.

    Gener leading the way

    Mt. Shasta as we were headed back south

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.