Forums Splitboards Jones Hovercraft Review!!
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #626969
    singlewhitecaveman
    242 Posts

    Russman, what were your impressions on flex? Stiffer or softer?

    #626970
    Jason4
    443 Posts

    Snurfer- With as short as the tail is and as wide as the nose is on the Hovercraft you really don’t need to sit on the back leg to stay on top. I’ll readily admit that the longest board I’ve ridden is around a 180 and I have no interest in anything that long for most of the stuff that I ride. It’s mostly tight chutes and trees, if it’s open fields then it’s steep and fast enough not to need the extra length.

    For me the ability to sink the tail in to control speed is one of the things that makes the Fish style of boards appealing. I can ride it center weighted but if things get a bit hairy I can stand on my back leg and sink the tail in to slow things down a little.

    For further reference the days I got to ride the Hovercraft were in the same storm cycle that these photos were shot:
    http://www.frqncy.com/news/2010/04/09/jason-speer-photo-gallery-mount-baker-2010

    #626971
    Snurfer
    1448 Posts

    @jason4 wrote:

    Snurfer- With as short as the tail is and as wide as the nose is on the Hovercraft you really don’t need to sit on the back leg to stay on top. I’ll readily admit that the longest board I’ve ridden is around a 180 and I have no interest in anything that long for most of the stuff that I ride. It’s mostly tight chutes and trees, if it’s open fields then it’s steep and fast enough not to need the extra length.

    For me the ability to sink the tail in to control speed is one of the things that makes the Fish style of boards appealing. I can ride it center weighted but if things get a bit hairy I can stand on my back leg and sink the tail in to slow things down a little.

    Indeed, I ride these boards (among other reasons) because as you say, you can speed check without actually having to turn.
    Longboards def aren’t for everyone, I’m well over 200lbs with gear and our snow can be so light as to be displaced like water, so small board + big rider = your wallowing. But that’s just the pow aspect…
    Anyways, as I said, my observation was based solely on the Deeper segment, where it appeared JJ’s back leg was doing a lot of work. I guess it stands to reason has was simply speed checking through the pillow lines, it just didn’t look he was really flowing compared the beautiful flow he usually has.
    Great post! Thx

    Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

    #626972
    NatasKaput
    40 Posts

    yeah i’m still a full grown park rat some times so i have a hard time bringing myself to ride anything over a 162, that is why i’m pretty stoked on this design, i’ll probably get one at World Boards

    My love head wound and your free head wound
    Don't know but I even wanna try to be

    #626973
    russman
    689 Posts

    @singlewhitecaveman wrote:

    Russman, what were your impressions on flex? Stiffer or softer?

    Didn’t see this till today.

    Definitely stiffer overall. However, the nose is pretty darn soft, and the tail is pretty darn stiff. I’d say for me, at a 185lbs with a park-ish style of riding, its flex is right there on the line of being nice and bendable, but still stiff enough to get great power transfer and pop.

    #626974
    FLOWTORCH
    159 Posts

    I’ve only ridden this board a little bit recently…but I gotta say it seriously rips and is seriously fun!

    #626975
    Sam@UOOP
    22 Posts

    @flowtorch wrote:

    I’ve only ridden this board a little bit recently…but I gotta say it seriously rips and is seriously fun!

    My sentiments exactly!

    #626976
    zero
    18 Posts

    I have about 20 pow days on this board now, and can say it is really amazing. We’ve had a great winter, and I basically only ride powder, and this has become my every day board, with no regrets. For the previous couple years I always rode a Salomon Burner 162 (which i still have), which is their big mountain board–very stiff, fast, and stable. The Hovercraft turns much easier, is obviously more surfy, never requires any thought or effort to avoid digging the nose, and is extremely easy and effortless to ride. I can ride multiple full days in a row, and never have the slightest muscle soreness in my legs. For trees, gullys, chutes, and general mixed/creative type powder riding, this board is perfect and that’s why I now ride it every day.

    Where a more traditional big mountain board would be better is (somewhat obviously) in long, steep, open alpine lines where you are really charging through a number of turns. The hovercraft is fine for this terrain, but won’t be quite as fast, stable or aggressive. On the Burner I would get more explosive turns, wider radius turns, and more of a charging fall line feel. But for me, to have perfect pow on these kinds of lines is somewhat rare, because they always get skied first. For everything else the Hovercraft is better, and I do way more mixed/tight/woods riding than big alpine lines inbounds (if someone knows where I can ride fresh pow on huge in bounds alpine lines 4-6 days a week let me know…). For dedicated pow riders, I actually view the Hovercraft as the everyday go to board, with a big mountain board just to be brought out for the perfect days when you can get a lot of alpine riding, and even then it’s kind of optional based on style. Of course, it also depends on the terrain your mountain has.

    I have been impressed also that the Hovercraft has so few downsides. It rides hard pack and bumps just fine and has great edge hold. It’s not a soft board really, it just has a very user friendly shape. I remember some reviews saying it’s hard to turn edge to edge on hardpack because of the width, but I totally disagree. I have size 9 boots and can edge it easily without thinking–at least as easy as the Burner. Of course if you’re used to a really narrow freestyle board maybe it’s a bit different. Also, I only weigh 135lbs, so both of these boards are somewhat big for me and I probably can’t judge the float that well.

    A nice bonus of the Hovercraft is that the really short tail makes it super easy to pivot turn out of places when you get stuck over a cliff, next to a tree, in a snow drift or wherever. You can just pivot and ride out somewhere else, which I can’t do with a normal tail easily. This saves a ton of time each day. The short tail also makes dropping really steep sections feel comfortable because you can stay back easily. And you will basically never dig the nose on this thing, which allows you to ride much more freely and aggressively.

    Anyways, I have no affiliation with the company but just wanted to share my experience since I’ve had so many great days on this board now, and have come to use it way more than I expected. Also, at least 5 people ask me about the board every day on the mountain, so I figured there is some interest out there. I’ve seen a handful of other Jones boards at my mountain, but no other Hovercrafts, which I think is kind of surprising because it’s such a versatile board for pow riding.

    I’ve never ridden any other fish style boards or any swallow tails, so I can’t compare to those.

    #626977
    russman
    689 Posts

    Excellent review!

    I’ve been getting more chances to get on the Hovey, and all I can really say is that I’m turning into a permanant convert! This board does everything so incredibly well, its amazing. I mean, it holds an edge on long radius turns because of its huge sidecut radius and possibly also because of Magnetrack. Anyway, I feel that this board is only kinda sketchy during full speed turns in wide open wind-buffeted pow. In those conditions I can sometimes lock up too soon and tomahawk. Oh, and for ovious reasons it doesn’t land switch in pow too well… But that’s another topic.

    At any rate, I have found the Hovercraft to really, as Jeremy puts it, be a bit of a game changer. There are low angle spots where there is an inche of dust on crust, and somehow the Hovercraft makes those spots rippable. And you can rip them on a dime during full speed edge to edge transitions where you need to change your mind super fast. I can turn that board SOOOO FAST. Again, its amazing…

    Cheers on keeping this thread going

    #626978
    ozsplit
    25 Posts

    got my hovercraft this week… coming off a 163 abacus for pow days and a 166 burner for the rest,…. so stoked to get this board, now we just need some fresh in the sierras so i can crack it out… good reading here… cheers

    #626979
    russman
    689 Posts

    @ozsplit wrote:

    got my hovercraft this week… coming off a 163 abacus for pow days and a 166 burner for the rest,…. so stoked to get this board, now we just need some fresh in the sierras so i can crack it out… good reading here… cheers

    Try ridign it in non-pow conditions, and then come write a review of its performance on ice 😉

    You may be surprised!

    #626980
    ozsplit
    25 Posts

    i ll be back up at sugarbowl on tues russman so maybe i ll just give it a run or three at the end of the day..

    cheers

    oz

    #626981
    FLOWTORCH
    159 Posts

    @zero wrote:

    I have about 20 pow days on this board now, and can say it is really amazing. We’ve had a great winter, and I basically only ride powder, and this has become my every day board, with no regrets. For the previous couple years I always rode a Salomon Burner 162 (which i still have), which is their big mountain board–very stiff, fast, and stable. The Hovercraft turns much easier, is obviously more surfy, never requires any thought or effort to avoid digging the nose, and is extremely easy and effortless to ride. I can ride multiple full days in a row, and never have the slightest muscle soreness in my legs. For trees, gullys, chutes, and general mixed/creative type powder riding, this board is perfect and that’s why I now ride it every day.

    Where a more traditional big mountain board would be better is (somewhat obviously) in long, steep, open alpine lines where you are really charging through a number of turns. The hovercraft is fine for this terrain, but won’t be quite as fast, stable or aggressive. On the Burner I would get more explosive turns, wider radius turns, and more of a charging fall line feel. But for me, to have perfect pow on these kinds of lines is somewhat rare, because they always get skied first. For everything else the Hovercraft is better, and I do way more mixed/tight/woods riding than big alpine lines inbounds (if someone knows where I can ride fresh pow on huge in bounds alpine lines 4-6 days a week let me know…). For dedicated pow riders, I actually view the Hovercraft as the everyday go to board, with a big mountain board just to be brought out for the perfect days when you can get a lot of alpine riding, and even then it’s kind of optional based on style. Of course, it also depends on the terrain your mountain has.

    I have been impressed also that the Hovercraft has so few downsides. It rides hard pack and bumps just fine and has great edge hold. It’s not a soft board really, it just has a very user friendly shape. I remember some reviews saying it’s hard to turn edge to edge on hardpack because of the width, but I totally disagree. I have size 9 boots and can edge it easily without thinking–at least as easy as the Burner. Of course if you’re used to a really narrow freestyle board maybe it’s a bit different. Also, I only weigh 135lbs, so both of these boards are somewhat big for me and I probably can’t judge the float that well.

    A nice bonus of the Hovercraft is that the really short tail makes it super easy to pivot turn out of places when you get stuck over a cliff, next to a tree, in a snow drift or wherever. You can just pivot and ride out somewhere else, which I can’t do with a normal tail easily. This saves a ton of time each day. The short tail also makes dropping really steep sections feel comfortable because you can stay back easily. And you will basically never dig the nose on this thing, which allows you to ride much more freely and aggressively.

    Anyways, I have no affiliation with the company but just wanted to share my experience since I’ve had so many great days on this board now, and have come to use it way more than I expected. Also, at least 5 people ask me about the board every day on the mountain, so I figured there is some interest out there. I’ve seen a handful of other Jones boards at my mountain, but no other Hovercrafts, which I think is kind of surprising because it’s such a versatile board for pow riding.

    I’ve never ridden any other fish style boards or any swallow tails, so I can’t compare to those.

    x2. 100%. Thanks for a good review, I’m too lazy to go in depth.

    I’ve also had about 20 days on the board, lots of pow days. Its the funnest board i’ve ever ridden, a game changer indeed. I’ve ridden swallow tails and now think they suck compared to this stick. I feel invincible on this thing. I’m 6ft, 210 and the little 156 has no problem hovering me through powder. The tail is the most nimble, agile, sick son of a bitch. Literally, ok figuratively, turns on a dime. Such a stellar board for trees. Like you said, that tail also saves a TON of energy!! I had legs to keep going and going at silverton last week while everyone else was worked…same deal any where or any day. I’ve been trying to get my cousin whose now 41 and an old school ripper on one of these. Someone like him could totally benefit from a board like this. Tail also makes it super easy to slash or keep speed in GFP(gay flat powder) which is nice for Colorado. And if you suck and couldnt ride pow before this board will turn you into a hero. Its impossible to go over the bars on it. Like you said its great on drops too because of the setback stance.

    I just cant be stoked enough to pull this bad boy out on good days. The only downside to it(besides the whole switch thing) is that your friends have to listen to you spray about how sick this board is..and how they cant find one.

    #626982
    sickpow
    46 Posts

    Hovercraft Split for next year and a Hovercraft in a 160.

    #626983
    russman
    689 Posts

    @sickpow wrote:

    Hovercraft Split for next year and a Hovercraft in a 160.

    Hovercraft 160 split = HOLY MOLY SICKNESS

    #626984
    faceshots333
    1 Posts

    this board is a dream machine. its truly in its element in bottomless powder. no extra effort to keep the nose up. you get some serious face shots and can really lay into your turns. its true that this board floats on top of the snow. not a huge fan with this on groomers. i hold back. this board wants to turn and although does suprisingly well switch and holding an edge its not an everyday resort board. but if you are planning on hiking and finding real snow then this should be your go to. its surface area is huge. tail is stiff. it does suprisingly well off rocks, cliffs, jumps. trees have never been easier as you can turn on the dime and its easy to get going again after a fall or stall out, tree well, etc.. this board is a ton of fun and once you take it into some bottomless you will realize how truly awesome it is. i personally have my bindings geared towards the front to add some more stability for landing airs. if you put them back its about as close to surfing as anything.. lots of fun all around.. does well in chop and in a variety of snow conditions but again this thing wants to be in the steep and deep thats its true element. guarantee on a good day in jackson hole i am enjoying the best turns out of anyone. peace

    #626985
    tiltedworld
    406 Posts

    I haven’t ridden this board yet, but I am liking the design a lot. The 56 seems too short though. I know it has a ton of float, but it reminds me too much of the original Burton Fish design. Lightning quick and accelerating quickly. But also it was squirrely at speed and god forbid you needed to ride it on hardpack. That was largely because of the nose and excessive taper, but I also hated dropping things on a board that short and far set back. It just “felt” too short. When the 60 was intro’d it was a world better. Then the Malolo 62 made it even better with less taper than the fish. The Hover seems to address the taper and edge hold, but I can’t help to think the 56 will “feel” short. But a 60 next year with similar nose rocker might be right up my alley.

    #626986
    ozsplit
    25 Posts

    if we ever get some fresh in the sierra again i l crack my hovercraft out… shes a virgin and i m amped to ride it… i m pretty sure i ll get a few days on it this season then sell it to pick up a 160 next year.. good to read the thread here, enjoy the ride lads

    #626987
    hoglord
    202 Posts

    60 Fish LTD. I just don’t know if the Hovercraft can hang. Carbon reacts much, much more quickly than wood. I long for Hovercraft still though. And at $400 its really hard to not buy one to split.

    #626988
    dylanofthenorth
    3 Posts

    Hey out there…
    First time posting but I had to add to the stoke about the Jones Hovercraft. I am having so much fun on this board. I have a Prior Khyber split 160, and a Prior solid AMF 159 both with rocker. I really like both of these boards but I love my Hovercraft and it is the board I grab most often now for sure. I am now thinking about getting the split version of it next year.

    Here is a short edit I put together of me on the Hovercraft, enjoy. And if you get a chance to try this board do it!

    http://www.vimeo.com/19800929

    Dylan

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.