Forums Splitboard Talk Forum help with bindings setup/adjustment
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #574441
    FirstAscent
    111 Posts

    Looking for a little insight from those of you who have tweaked your bindings (angles, setback etc…)

    I just took my new Prior Khyber out for the first time today; first off, wow! I love it, I don’t know how to explain it though because it’s so much different than my old Burton in many ways.

    So, I have the Khyber with rocker (which is new to me as well), I have new boots (malamutes), and I have new bindings (karakorams). So today was a day of NEW.

    First thing I noticed all day was that it was more difficult for me to go from heel-side to toe-side. Going from toe to heel was ok, but something was different going from heel to toe. Now, this could have just been ME as well.

    With everything being so new I just went with a pretty basic setup.
    Stance angles: +21/+6
    Stance width: ~20.5″
    setback: I am one set of holes forward from the center, the khyber naturally already has some setback built in.
    I ride goofy and don’t ride switch much.

    Any ideas of something I could try with the bindings setup? Or is it just me?

    The Khyber is a 156. I’m about 6′ but I’m skinny, only weight about 140-145lbs.

    I appreciate any feedback as I haven’t done much testing on my own yet with different setups.
    Thanks,

    p.s. I ran into a little powder (maybe 10-12″) and that board just floats across it effortlessly, it was great. My Burton would have nose-dived right in. This board doesn’t want to catch an edge either, much (MUCH) better than my old Burton.

    #636886
    OCD
    52 Posts

    Oh, I can answer this one. :thatrocks:

    First, make sure your binding is centered latitudinally. It can help to put your boot in the binding and look longitudinally down the board to equalize the toe/heel drag.

    You may have too much heel drag.

    Second, widen your stance to a round number.

    #636887
    amkaplan
    77 Posts

    I don’t know if you checked, but the first thing to do is stick your boots in the bindings and see if your boots are centered on the board toe/heel. If yes, it may be that you need to play with your forward lean. The Khyber 156 is not so wide, but maybe wider than what you’re used to, so it may take you a little while to get used to making the edge transitions. Enjoy your Khy – great board.

    #636888
    FirstAscent
    111 Posts

    Thanks guys! I’ll check that first thing tomorrow morning. I’m going to take it back up Sunday to try the changes.

    Have you used the karakorams before? I don’t think they have much adjustment in that direction across the width of the board. I’ll look at it again and see if I see an adjustment.

    I’ll try widening the stance a little as well, I’ll take it to ~21″ and see what that does.

    #636889
    Snurfer
    1448 Posts

    One other tip to try while you have the boots in the bindings and on the board, is check to see if the in-step of the boot (the tongue/ shin) lines up with the center line of the split. Boots are going to have different amounts of material around the heel, toe and tongue, so its always good to try and align using all three.

    Happy shredding!

    Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

    #636890
    FirstAscent
    111 Posts

    @Snurfer wrote:

    One other tip to try while you have the boots in the bindings and on the board, is check to see if the in-step of the boot (the tongue/ shin) lines up with the center line of the split. Boots are going to have different amounts of material around the heel, toe and tongue, so its always good to try and align using all three.

    Happy shredding!

    I’ve never even heard/thought of that. I’ll look at that too. Should I look at the toe/heel first then look where the tongue is lined up?

    and do you mean the inside of the tongue (where my shin would actually be) or the outside of the tongue. I’m assuming you mean the inside of the tongue.

    Thanks for the extra tip.

    #636891
    Snurfer
    1448 Posts

    @FirstAscent wrote:

    @Snurfer wrote:

    One other tip to try while you have the boots in the bindings and on the board, is check to see if the in-step of the boot (the tongue/ shin) lines up with the center line of the split. Boots are going to have different amounts of material around the heel, toe and tongue, so its always good to try and align using all three.

    Happy shredding!

    I’ve never even heard/thought of that. I’ll look at that too. Should I look at the toe/heel first then look where the tongue is lined up?

    and do you mean the inside of the tongue (where my shin would actually be) or the outside of the tongue. I’m assuming you mean the inside of the tongue.

    Thanks for the extra tip.

    I’d split the difference(inside shin + outside tongue) + heel/toe. Essentially what you are trying to achieve is to have your weight over the center of the board. Often times thick toe, or heel material can make it appear that you are centered when you really aren’t.

    Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

    #636892
    amkaplan
    77 Posts

    @FirstAscent wrote:

    Thanks guys! I’ll check that first thing tomorrow morning. I’m going to take it back up Sunday to try the changes.

    Have you used the karakorams before? I don’t think they have much adjustment in that direction across the width of the board. I’ll look at it again and see if I see an adjustment.

    I think the Karakorams allow forward/back adjustment of the heelcup/highback supports. If not, call Bryce at Karakoram and talk to him about it. IMHO, all bindings should allow that adjustment.

    #636893
    FirstAscent
    111 Posts

    the karakorams have a “small” and “large” mode on the bindings. The large mode scoots the binding back a little. I switched to the large mode and it is much more centered now.

    Tomorrow I’ll find out how much better that is. Hopefully it will be better than yesterday’s riding.

    #636894
    zero
    18 Posts

    my guess is that it’s the brand new malamutes. for the first 1-3 days these are extremely stiff, and if you are used to riding a normal boot they will feel very strange. toeside turns happen, but require commitment and are kind of binary–not a smooth linear roll. anyways, they will break in and you will get used to them.

    i personally doubt it’s the karakorams but who knows.

    you could ride the new boots with a solid board to do some testing.

    #636895
    WhitePine
    503 Posts

    @zero wrote:

    my guess is that it’s the brand new malamutes. for the first 1-3 days these are extremely stiff, and if you are used to riding a normal boot they will feel very strange. toeside turns happen, but require commitment and are kind of binary–not a smooth linear roll. anyways, they will break in and you will get used to them.

    i personally doubt it’s the karakorams but who knows.

    you could ride the new boots with a solid board to do some testing.

    +1
    I think its the boots. After about halfway through my 3rd day of resort riding they softened a bunch. Now they are great. They ride very different from any other boot I have tried. What boot were you using before?

    #636896
    FirstAscent
    111 Posts

    I was using some old K2 boots before, on the cheaper side, not their nicest.

    After adjusting the bindings it was a huge improvement now that they are centered across the width of the board.

    I could also feel the malamutes starting to loosen up a little, and they are feeling better.

    #636897
    zerodog
    93 Posts

    I don’t know if this helps, but it helped me.

    One day I was taking a leak and I looked down at my feet. I noticed how duck footed I was just standing there. And how far apart my feet were. I set my stance like this, it helped me a lot. I am just more comfortable on the board for longer. Not really that I ride better. Just feel better. You are probably never more relaxed then when you are peeing…..

    #636898
    FirstAscent
    111 Posts

    Haha that’s pretty funny but it makes sense.

    #636899
    Scotty1974
    61 Posts

    I had my stance too wide for years and it was jackin’ up my knee. I centered more on all my boards and blamo…knee pain is gone and I’ve loving life.

    On a side note, I just switched to the Blazes and wow is there a gap between the boot and the highback. What’s the dilly with that?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.