Forums Boots Hardboots and bindings 2019 Arcteryx Procline AR
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Scott
    3 Posts

Instagram video with description

Instagram photos detailing modifications

For my ride preference, I want a minimal free stroke, no hard stop, progressive flex for toeside and heel side with a descent amount of highback angle.

In search of the mythical creature, progressive flex, I upgraded from the 2018 Procline to the 2019 Procline AR primarily for the plastic tongue and improved gaiter design. I was hoping to find a bit more progressive flex out of the plastic tongue.
    After a few rounds of shrinking the inner cuff nubs. Unfortunately, that tongue is more of a gaiter guard than it is a boot stiffener and found the same low resistance flex with a moderate hard stop.

Then I went to inspect my modded 2018’s to see where the progressive flex on the toe side was coming from… The nuts/bolt configuration on the lateral inner cuff that can be seen in @cbalke write up (thanks for the initial concepts) had worn a slot in the corresponding hole on the outer high back cuff.

The bolt wasn’t restricting the range of motion any longer for toeside flex, it was the lever cable tension ramping up through the travel of the ankle flex and progressively provide resistance! I found the unicorn! The hidden snowboard magic potential waiting to be discovered in the split cuff boot is cable tension And position! By manipulating the cable position and removing the hardware/nubs I was able to access a wide range of control over how much range of motion I wanted and what the ride mode high back angle would be simply by repositioning the cable mounting.

The Cutting and Filing Section:

I used a sawzall blade by hand to trim the inner split cuff nubs off and filed it smooth.
    I had initially tried to just remove sections of the nubs and make them smaller to give the boots some range of motion but it was not enough movement and was a hard stop with no progressive flex.

The Drill Section:

To experiment on my 2018’s, I drilled out the medial cable mount rivet on the inner split cuff and tried a few different cable mounting positions. My findings were that by adding tension to the cable, the free stroke (pardon the Shimano bike terminology) of the ankle ROM would shrink, limiting the ROM to a more progressive flex. By mounting the cable towards the toe, you add tension and remove free stroke, by mounting it towards the heel, you remove tension and add free stroke. By mounting the cable upwards, the highback angle decreases, by mounting the cable closer to the sole, the highback angle increases. Poof. Mind blown.

Once I settled on where I wanted the highback and how much tension I wanted to run, I took the drill to the 2019’s. My sweet spot landed about 12mm towards the sole and 4mm towards the toe from the original mounting hole.

The Torch Section:

Additional comfort mods were made on the medial malleolus by slowly heating the plastic between the ankle strap and the split cuff mounting area and gently pulling that cuff edge out to ease off some of the hot spots I was developing.

The Results Section:

Both pairs rock! The 2018’s have 5 cable mounting positions to play with and the 2019’s are riding like a friendly but stiff soft boot on a mid-positioned highback. Just what I was looking for.

Mark
    4 Posts

Awesome mod! My procaines have recently failed, the nub comes out of the hole and flexes too far forward. I might have to give this a shot. How does this ride on the down hill?

Scott
    3 Posts

I’ve been riding resort in them for about 8 days so far and love it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.