Forums Events 2016 Baker Splitfest, March 11th to the 13th
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DrownedRatDrownedRat
    118 Posts

I recently wrapped up the poster for the 2016 Baker Splitfest and the list of sponsors is a little nuts.

Sponsors list:
    Karakoram | Voile | Trapper Snowboards | Prior Snowboards | Weston Snowboards | Jones Snowboards | Mervin Mfg | Never Summer| Arbor Snowboards | Spark R & D | G3 | Kind Bars | Outdoor Research | Tailgate Industries | Sea To Sky Splitboards | Frequency | Pallas Snowboards | One Ball Jay | Disidual | Iron Street Printing | Chimera | Boardworks Tech Shops | Sandbox | Chair 2 Board Sports | Patagonia | Fitwell Boots | Spacecraft | Mount Baker Experience | Prowder | D Funk Speed Wax | Mount Baker Mountain Guides | Native Eyewear | Mt Baker Snowboard Shop

For Saturday, we’ve got a women’s specific clinic from Pallas Snowboards, a Splitboard 101 Clinic by Chair 2 Board Sports and Mt Baker Mountain Guides are doing 2 Art of Splitboarding clinics, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

For Sunday, Mt Baker Mountain Guides is doing a Baker Backcountry SpliTour.

Binding demos from Karakoram, Voile and Spark R&D

Board demos from Voile, Trapper, Prior, Arbor, G3, Weston, Jones Never Summer, Trapper, Weston, Prowder, Chimera, Pallas and maybe K2 too. So many choices so little time.

And don’t forget demos are set up the night before. That way you have time to really check stuff out and the reps that bust their ass at the event get to play too.

KIND has donated a huge number of KIND bars. Boardworks Tech Shop is doing waxes again. Basically all the pent up energy from last year’s lack of snow year is coming out this year! The raffle and new for this year silent auction is going to be truly impressive.

Check out the event schedule here: splitfest.com/schedule-of-events

Poster:
    Baker Splitfest Poster

2017 Baker Splitfest, March 17th to 19th!

Profile photo of JNKJNK
    77 Posts

I’ve never been to the fest but I’m finally making it this year. I’m confused, though, on how to sign up for the clinics. Do I just show up at the required time or is there a sign up sheet on Friday night? Also, I’m bringing a buddy who’s never been in the backcountry before but has all the equipment except for a probe and shovel. Are those typically avail for rent? There really isn’t any information about the fest minus that it’s happening.

118 Posts

Glad to hear your going to come!

The clinic’s from Mt Baker Mountain Guides are first come first served so they are a just show up thing and look for their van in the Heather Meadows parking lot. The Split 101 clinic by Chair 2 is at Chair 9 and it’s a just up thing too.

There’s no avy gear to rent at the event but the Glacier Ski Shop rents all sorts of back country gear. They are pretty easy to deal with and close to Chair 9. AAI in Bellingham also rents BC gear.

Just remember demos are setup the night before.

Let me know if you more questions.

Profile photo of JNKJNK
    77 Posts

Great. Thanks!

Profile photo of sdmarkussdmarkus
    406 Posts

Looks like a great event DR and the weather forecast looks promising!

I’m about 8 hours south and may rally…anyone want to carpool?

Is there a dirtbag option for car camping/campers?

Thanks!

118 Posts

There’s a small campground just west of Chair 9 for camping. I know people sleep in their cars in the Chair 9 parking lot too. That’s not encouraged but not discouraged either. If you want some adventure there are some great camps up NF road 3/37. Take the Glacier Creek turn and the first left. It’s primitive camping but it’s beautiful.

Google map of the area

Profile photo of RobinhoodRobinhood
    21 Posts

Hey DR,

I’m planning to come up to the event for all day Saturday and would love to demo a new deck or two. It’s unlikely I will be able to make it up for Friday night however. would it still be possible to demo a board? and I request one via FB or here?

thanks
    Rob

118 Posts

Keep watching the Facebook page for reps posting what they are bringing. You might be able to get a demo that way. Otherwise the reps are all on the mountain with the rest of us on Saturday. You can stop by Chair 9 in the morning and see if anybody is there but I wouldn’t count on it.

Profile photo of JNKJNK
    77 Posts

DR,

I’m not familiar with the Baker backcountry but I’m assuming there is some low-angle, “relatively” safe slopes? Forecast shows snow daily which is good (for fresh snow) but also isn’t exactly the safest either.

118 Posts

There some ‘safer’ areas and some nice trees to ride too. And if it’s really dicey there’s always riding in bounds at the ski area. Riding a split inbounds can tell you a lot about the board.

Profile photo of matty_mcdmatty_mcd
    34 Posts

Shout out to DrownedRat and the rest of the organizers for another awesome Baker Splitfest!! Such a rad time congregating with fellow passionate spliboarders and shredding some sweet pow. Looking forward to next year already!!

Profile photo of sdmarkussdmarkus
    406 Posts

Would love to see a TR on the festivus? I was so close to pulling the triggerbut blew it, really curious how that storm system paned out…

Profile photo of prior_riderprior_rider
    109 Posts

What’s the plan for this year’s Splitfest? For those of us that don’t keep pace with snapchat or whatever, a simple post with dates and the general plan would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

118 Posts

Thanks for the reminder prior_rider! I just finished the poster yesterday. I’m still working on updating the website.

2017 Baker Splitfest thread

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.