Forums Boots 2015/2016 Deeluxe Spark XVs
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SanFrantastico
    1514 Posts

I just got a pair of these. After zero days of backcountry use but one super hardcore session of walking around my living room and kitchen I’m gonna keep them! I think they did a great job with the latest design. It is comfortable, not crazy stiff, lightweight, and they reduced the size of the sole. I kind of love them. And they have stiff mountaineering sole with a crampon welt on the heel. So far they are kind of a dream. I can’t wait to try them out for real.

Anyone else digging (or hating on) this year’s Spark XV?

Putting the poo in swimming pool since 1968.

powderjunkie
    1666 Posts

tell us more storn – after you got a day on them last week

how is the bulk and the weight?

SanFrantastico
    1514 Posts

I finally got a day on them. I’m still pretty stoked. Although they still need to break in a bit, they were light and comfortable for a new boot. I was in powder snow on a cold day and my feet stayed warm and dry. I had trouble with one of the quick laces coming loose. We will see if that is a persistent problem. The boots are not super bulky. About the same width as my old T1’s, but a touch longer. I’m wearing size 12, so a little worried about toe drag.

So far I am stoked on them. In the old days we were all dreaming about soft snowboard mountaineering boots with a stiff shank and a crampon welt. It’s amazing to see 4 brands on the market now. These boots are about 1 1/2 pounds lighter (each) than the DIY snowboard mountaineering boots that I’ve been wearing, so I’m pretty stoked. I can’t wait to try them out in spring conditions.

SanFrantastico
    1514 Posts

So I compared the 2015/2016 Spark XVS to an older pair, sized smaller, belonging to Imitation Funk. Hmmm.. I guess these are in the same vicinity of bulkiness.

On the other hand, I had the opportunity to do a long splitboot journey with TEX and liketoride on Sunday, and found them to be solid, comfortable performers.

DHwreckage
    10 Posts

have you compared length to any other 10.5 boot? or last years model. im curious to see how much shorter the 15/16 is then the 14/15 since they redesigned the sole and were able to reduce outer size a little.

HansGLudwig
    601 Posts

@sanfrantastico We all know TEX and Likestoride are hard-charging dudes; but how did the boots hold up?!

@dhwreckage – The propaganda says ~10 mm shorter BSL

Be sure to bookmark Splitboard.com's Recent Activity page...
    http://splitboard.com/activity-2/

SanFrantastico
    1514 Posts

@hansgludwig – In this case we hard charged down the wrong gully and ended up on a Southern aspect rather than the Eastern aspect that would lead to our car so we had the distinct pleasure of putting in a contouring bootschwack over varied terrain including deep and shallow snow, rocks, trees, fallen logs, and willows. I will say that in this situation the boots were comfy and awesome and the least of my worries. I have yet to use them in any kind of firm conditions.

@dhwreckage – I have not had a chance to compare them to same size boots. I am riding size 12, they are definitely bigger than my T1s in size 11.5.

DHwreckage
    10 Posts

i just got my spark XV’s yesterday and im really liking them. im coming from a old Burton in an 11.5 and the XV’s i have are a 10.5 and they are about the same length which was surprising. but boy are they comfortable! ill be getting out to a resort this weekend to try them out. still waiting on the rest of my splitboard set-up to get out in the backcountry.

slaytrees
    5 Posts

Any updates? I am looking at getting these boots and I am interested in their comfort and durability.

fyi I am coming from salomon world

Thanks

SanFrantastico
    1514 Posts

I have 5 days on them, all in early season powder. But that includes a few pretty solid bootschwack adventures through rock, willows, etc. I love them… the only backcountry boots that I’ve ever not thought about because they are comfortable and have not held me back on anything yet. I have not had them on firm snow, so still waiting to see about that.

Someone in the 32/Jeremy Jones thread said he thought they were super uncomfortable, so I’m sure it depends on the foot. My feet are narrow, especially in the heel.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.