Forums Current Conditions Montana 2013/14 Greater Yellowstone Shred Thread: Conditions, Stoke
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 195 total)
  • Author
    boppingshoe
    83 Posts

what’s the road conditions now, I assumed you assessed from Big Timber side? Last time I checked I could only drive to Lazy K, and I wasn’t sure if the ranch owner’s cool with me parking on their property.

lewmt
    570 Posts

Normally you can park beyond the gate where the 1st drift is. They’ve been doing some logging in there so you can go almost a mile further towards the campground. Yesterday was super lucky with 4″ down low made it skinnable all the way up. Fun exit out too. Usually up to 1st bridge this time of year it can be carry/skin/carry/skin. Creamy dense powder that was perfect for old snow/new snow bonding & made it up to 10,500 in the crazy couloir…..top turns were low vis but no worries.

nickstayner
    700 Posts

@boppingshoe wrote:

Please tell me that y’all took advantage of May powder (please upload photos).

Yellowstone NP

greg.doctor
    58 Posts

Glad everyone is enjoying the late season bonus pow.

Fun hike in the hills yesterday. Backed off 80% of the way up due to increasing wet slide concerns. Despite the snow’s dissatisfaction with the sun, we thoroughly enjoyed soaking in it along with the view.

nickstayner
    700 Posts

Nice greg, Glad you got to check some of it out! Still able to ski back to the creek?

greg.doctor
    58 Posts

Hah! No. Definitely a little deadfall hopping involved. Not too bad, maybe 3-400 vert of rock and wood. Ditched the skins down low and planned to boot it. Thoroughly regretted this decision when I watched Beau and a couple other skiers skin the whole damn thing. I now understand why folks rock full camber boards with hardboots. Or skis.

samh
    726 Posts

Y’all are making me second guess my decision to go mountain biking instead of snow sliding this weekend.

--
    samh.net

nickstayner
    700 Posts

Limitless opportunities in the Yellowstone Absaroka.

nordicbordn
    225 Posts

Damn.. lookin good up in here! Went up cascade canyon in the Tetons last week.. deeep up there still.

pit stop in west yolostone

nothin i like better than big huge teets covered in white.. snow

i thought avalanche season was over!

deadly dog leg of doom

nobody cares that you bootpack

other than that, just been lapping up the last bits of corn in the western bridgers. hyalites open. i smell a gallatin traverse..

summer classes at Saddle Peak University started today

and i already met the class bully

nickstayner
    700 Posts

Looks like a fun trip Nordic. There’s some awesome looking terrain at the head of Cascade Canyon. We skied the southeast face of the South Teton over the holiday weekend. Coverage is still awesome in the high peaks. Posted a little TR on the main site: http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16953

dmsullivan2
    13 Posts

Anyone been up to the beartooth hwy or know of the current conditions?

samh
    726 Posts

Not yet. Planning to be down there the weekend of the 13th though. All the reports I’ve heard and photos I’ve seen sound promising however. I haven’t completely switched over to mountain biking yet.

Headed up to Bridger Bowl to sneak in a day of riding in May. I’m sure you all love selfies, ya? Was able to drive to the upper lot, had to boot up dirt for a few hundred meters then was able to skin as far up as the fast-approaching nightfall allowed (upper North Bowl Road). Snow was nice corn but you had to keep an eye out for areas with excessive suncupping. Not bad for a 6:30pm start.

--
    samh.net

cooleraddict
    9 Posts

Anyone interested in slogging up to the Blaze on Saturday? Looks like it should get nice and cold up high Friday night.

nordicbordn
    225 Posts

@dmsullivan2 wrote:

Anyone been up to the beartooth hwy or know of the current conditions?

Yes. Conditions are epic. Im leaving for Rock Creek in two hours. See you there.

samh
    726 Posts

Camped at Rock Creek Friday and Saturday. Rode part of a couloir up near the headwaters of Rock Creek on Saturday and then did a line on “Reefer Ridge” off the Pass on Sunday. I was visually surprised at how little snow was left in the high country. Snow was variable, with everything from a few centimeters of fresh pow to ice to sloppy mush.

Our line on Saturday:

Hiking the line Saturday:

Bottom of the line Sunday:

--
    samh.net

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 195 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.