Forums Current Conditions Montana 2013/14 Greater Yellowstone Shred Thread: Conditions, Stoke
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 195 total)
  • Author
    nickstayner
    700 Posts

Figured I’d kick it off because of this:

…which makes me feel like this:

Here’s to hoping the early snow doesn’t turn into this season’s persistent weak layer!

Like the title says, this thread is for everyone loosely based around the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, from the Wind Rivers to the Beartooths, Lander to Bozeman, Jackson to Billings (dln, I’m specifically calling you out to post your awesome photos on here :bow: ).

I’m flying to California for a wedding on Thursday, but would love to see some photos of snowy alpine posted up on here if anyone makes it out!

samh
    726 Posts

Here’s to a safe and deep 2013/14 winter!

--
    samh.net

dln
    146 Posts

YES! The Greater Yellowstone Shred Thread . . . awesome!! :thumpsup:

acopafeel
    134 Posts

!!!!! 😆 !!!!!! 😆 !!!!
    its been about 4 months since ive last felt this way

nickstayner
    700 Posts

Holy shit… is that a site up by you? I know the T-Roots are rumored to have gotten a huge amount of snow…

samh
    726 Posts

@nickstayner wrote:

Holy shit… is that a site up by you? I know the T-Roots are rumored to have gotten a huge amount of snow…

My coworked said Albro Lakes in the Roots had around 6′ already.

--
    samh.net

acopafeel
    134 Posts

yes, that was from the Albro snotel. I couldn’t make it unfortunately, but heard it was pretty tasty.

samh
    726 Posts

@acopafeel wrote:

yes, that was from the Albro snotel. I couldn’t make it unfortunately, but heard it was pretty tasty.

Word from a friend who was out there was essentially, ‘…although there is six feet of snow at Albro there are also a lot of seven foot rocks.’

--
    samh.net

nordicbordn
    225 Posts

just got into town (bozeman) this week and am somewhat disturbed that our government will not be funding an avy center as of now.. avy 2 cant come soon enough!

on another note, this means (fromwhat i hear) N. bridgers are free range, as all gates to fairy remain open.. travel wisely 😮

acopafeel
    134 Posts

i got out yesterday to look at how things are holding up in the Tobacco Roots… i missed out on the dump last wknd and was trying to make up for it. ended up topping out at 9,300 when the 6-12′ of sugar was easily pushed off the bulletproff base. the zero visibility didnt help my attitude either 🙂
    looking rather hoar-y out there. it will be interesting to see how the next 2 months treat the snowpack!

dln
    146 Posts

some timelapse stoke from last summer…

[vimeo:1dz08v9r]http://www.vimeo.com/77192871[/vimeo:1dz08v9r]

samh
    726 Posts

I approve of everything Pilot Index.

--
    samh.net

nordicbordn
    225 Posts

bridgers are getting deeper by the day/

greg.doctor
    58 Posts

Anyone want to check out Bell Lake or Albro lake area this weekend or early next week? I’m free saturday-tuesday. PM me

nickstayner
    700 Posts

Have some pals headed over there tomorrow… you should post up some photos if you make it over there. Bet it’s awesome.

boppingshoe
    83 Posts

went up to Bell Lake today. The road was clear. I didn’t dig a pit, but could definitely feel the rotten snow at the bottom. Didn’t bother to skin pass the lake, looked kinda wind affected. played around in the tree and it was fun.

greg.doctor
    58 Posts

Headed up to Bell lake today for a few turns. Stability was questionable so we stuck to lower angle below. Pit at 9,200 ft on NE aspect revealed 2-3inch nonreactive slab and a larger 40cm slab that sparked some concern. ECT P13 with Q2ish sheers. Rutschblock 5, again Q1-2 sheers. Surface layer is pretty heavy currently. Dug on a slope of about 35 degrees with somewhat significant windloading. 205 CM OF SNOW WHERE WE DUG….on November 10…

Like someone said earlier there may be 6ft of snow in the T roots but there are plenty of 7 ft rocks.

nordicbordn
    225 Posts

@bopping or gregdr- did u drive on n. meadow creek? or were you near pony or something? ive only been once and im desperately trying to retrace the path i took to the no-tell..

Powder_Rider
    498 Posts

Is there any Splitboard epic tours worth mentioning inside Yellowstone National Park???

nickstayner
    700 Posts

Most definitely, many times over!

…all within the boundary of Yellowstone National Park. Check out a map and get on Google Earth– there are tons of incredible tours inside the Park.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 195 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.