Forums Current Conditions Colorado 2013-2014 snow conditions
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    cometogether
    385 Posts

Is it to early to think snow again?

After getting a September day on some actual NEW snow instead of old shard crap, I think it’s almost time.

Let’s hope it stays good and cold so we can build a better base than last season.

Looks like the resorts are going for an all time early start. Maybe the storm tonight will help them a bit.

I have a feeling this year should :rock:

Matt Wood
    328 Posts

Solid 8″ on my truck this morning… I was getting tired of the gold color anyway, so long aspen leaves.

Matt Wood
    328 Posts

A Basin’s turning.

summersgone
    820 Posts

San Juan Update: I made turns in Silverton on Saturday. About 2 feet of snow at 11,000, directly on top of the ground, no layering. Lot’s of people hitting the Grande (must have been 15 tracks already), so we opted for an NE face that held good snow that was slightly lower elevation. People were hitting E, N and W aspects pretty well. Obviously still rocks out there. Another storm coming in too.

A part of me just wants it all to melt though. I’m sick of scary avy conditions, which this early season snow generally causes.

shredgnar
    643 Posts

Two ways to look at early season snow affecting the snowpack. 1) if it keeps up and we don’t get the early season cold/dry spell, it won’t have a chance to turn to serious depth hoar like it usually does (like the 2010/2011 season). 2) the opposite, we get a long cold/dry spell which rots the snow into what we had last year. Damn persistent high pressure systems are to blame.

I’ve seen it go both ways, but the best thing we can do, since we don’t really control the weather, is to enjoy it safely and wisely, paying attention to it now could help your decisions later in the season. So hope for the best, plan for the worst.

davidr
    102 Posts

cottonwood pass this afternoon:

loveland pass gully this morning: a little sketch rocky for the whole thing but there were some good turns.

currently snowing in cb

cometogether
    385 Posts

jones pass turned well Saturday before the heard arrived around 10ish…. I had already turned it out. FREE of rocks and skinned back to the car. SUPER fun riding some soft again.

October shred day not on a ribbon of death.. CHECK! :bananas:

cometogether
    385 Posts

whats the word my peeps? anyone out trying to fill the void?

might go looking this weekend. text me up(720)934-4258
    eric

davidr
    102 Posts

nada in CB.

looks like the san juans didn’t get much either – http://www.keno.org/colorado_web_cams/red_mountian_pass_cam.htm

looking to tour somewhere in summit county/indian peaks/rmnp nov 2nd or 3rd

Norv
    35 Posts

Went to CP on the 19th. Got a core shot, took the dog out for the first time, and meet some great people. Can’t wait to head up next weekend!

Attached is my “stoke” filmed by Kev-O, a buddy who may just be a lurker here.

Norv
    35 Posts

@ringdings_and_pepsi wrote:

nada in CB.

looks like the san juans didn’t get much either – http://www.keno.org/colorado_web_cams/red_mountian_pass_cam.htm

looking to tour somewhere in summit county/indian peaks/rmnp nov 2nd or 3rd

I get laid off the first if you are interested in Cameron… Will have a few days off for the rest of the season.

summersgone
    820 Posts

Rode Saturday October 26th in Grande Basin again. Probably 5 new inches of snow (maybe 1.5 feet total snowpack), but melted by end of day. Lots of sluff coming from the new snow on avalanche terrain. Being it this early in the season, I didn’t feel like pushing it and getting knocked off my feet onto rocks, so stayed off the Grande, and on mellow low angle meadow. But it was fun teaching the girlfriend things to look for in avalanches, and letting the dog get her exercise in!

davidr
    102 Posts

nothing in CB this morning, off to the front range for a week or so. norv, i’d be up for cameron on sat or sun. i’ll be staying in boulder, where are you?

summersgone
    820 Posts

Got out on 11/2 to Silverton Mountain area. About 12 inches of new snow came in on Tuesday and Wednesday. Rode Dope Chute, and didn’t hit a thing all the way to the car. About 3ft of base plus or minus depending on loading. Few small unconsolidated blocks released in small sections, and as you can see existing stuff had released probably during or right after the storm Tuesday the 29th. Also got a few whomps in areas close to rock outcroppings, no shooting cracks yet. Warming had gotten significant (forecast was saying 40 degrees, started at 15), and we dropped in around noon, but stayed in the shade of the chute. Made multiple large ski cuts in the release zone, and this chute had been ridden a few weeks prior, so we went for it. CAIC said someone was partially buried on the 30th in Silverton, so certainly need to be back on your game out there.

But damn it was fun! Rode through the prominent chute. Sweet to get it that early.

And no, that’s not our skin track. We went up lookers right of the chute outside the picture and contoured into it.

PedroDelfuego
    758 Posts

You’re the man J! Glad you are getting after it, still nothing worth riding up north.

Stay safe out there :drinks:

summersgone
    820 Posts

Yeah pedro! Hopefully it keeps up. Certainly not a bomber snowpack by any means, but day 3 by 11/2 can’t really complain about! My plan is to see what can be ridden before the surface hoar kills it all. There was certainly a layer of hoar we saw climbing the road.

Forecast is calling for potentially a good storm Monday – Wednesday. Monday night says 4-8″. And Tuesday 80%, lets hope it keeps dumping!

PedroDelfuego
    758 Posts

You better get a lot of practice before your new hardboots ruin your steeze :disco:

summersgone
    820 Posts

😆 I was stoked on the steeze of my uptrack yesterday without hardboots, imagine with them! I’m going to slay it!
    Another one from 11/2.

davidr
    102 Posts

yesterday around cb

about 1/2″ on the ground this morning. gray skies now

Matt Wood
    328 Posts

Stacking up in Routt County. Too bad I have 3 more weeks of work but plenty are out packing it down.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.