Forums Current Conditions Utah 2011/2012 Utah snow and avalanche conditions
Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 344 total)
  • Author
    Snowvols
    291 Posts

Snurfer: I know it is still a little early, but I just want to have my quads hate me more than they currently do. I went on a run last night and my quads were still sore from my marathon 😆 I would be down next weekend to get out too.

KR: Let me know when you get back and I am always down to get out. Practice and a few turns. What could be better than that?

If anyone wants to get out say tomorrow let me know I am itching to get out after riding those 4 feet of powder in Vegas :headbang:

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

I would be down to do some beacon drills for sure. keep me in the loop for that.

Bucky- I love it. Maybe this is karma for me shitting in that creek in Nevada. But if so why must we all suffer?

I’m thinking about sacrificing a virgin girl on top of Mt. Olympus but i’m having a hard time finding one of those :scratch:

KR
    159 Posts

@Wasatch Surf wrote:

I’m thinking about sacrificing a virgin girl on top of Mt. Olympus but i’m having a hard time finding one of those

Shouldn’t there be a lot of those in Utah? :nononno:

Hey, for all you late risers, I’m heading up in Cardiff Fork this morning for a walk/shuffle/dig. Come rally if you want, I’ll bring an extra transceiver.

Number is 801-694-7933.

Snowvols
    291 Posts

I skinned up to Reynolds today and had a nice time. It was pretty wind affected but turns in the trees were money. There is a nasty surface hoar growing though. With the clear nights what do you really expect. I had never been up to Reynolds and it looks like a super fun line once we get some snow ugh

One of these days I will get action shots, but right now I am not even wasting my time pulling out the camera do to lack of snow. It was also pretty cold this morning.

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

Ran up to Grandeur Peak yesterday afternoon [via south route]…

Our fair city of SL,UT… Totally NOT human caused… 🙄

Tide (smog) rolls in on Mt Oly, Neffs and Green Canyon…

Pano of SLC

Seen form Church Fork: Big Water, Wilson, Soldier, Alexander, Gobblers, Porter, Thaynes, Neffs, Oly…

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

KR
    159 Posts

No pictures, but…

Short tour, Catherine’s area, LCC

-2c, clear skies, no wind. Beautiful day in the mountains!

Quick snowpit: 9500′, due N aspect, 29 degrees

50 cm snow

Layering: Frozen facets on the ground (leftover October snow) is making a nice bed surface. More weaker facets on top of that, some more faceted snow, a small leftover wind slab, then the newest snow, which is rapidly deteriorating.

Mid-range compression tests results, Q3 shears, failing in the facets 5 cm above the crust on the ground. No results for ECT.

So… moderate strength, low energy, poor structure. We’re set up for another giant avalanche cycle with the next decent storm. (If it wasn’t already obvious.)

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

it will never snow here again.

any beta on mountains in the four corners area? looks like they are going to get some pretty serious snow.

Stagger Lee
    242 Posts

@wasatch surf wrote:

any beta on mountains in the four corners area? looks like they are going to get some pretty serious snow.

It looks like the LaSals and Abajos are at 84% SWE and 94% SWE, respectively. The following link is were I got these numbers from. Select “percent average” at the top of the map. Also, the data are loading really slowly today for some reason.

http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/gmap/cmap2.php?con=snow

Hope that helps.

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

I was able to drive Golds Basin road (La Sals) with bald tires a week ago yesterday. I certainly wouldn’t roll the dice on a road trip just yet.

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

Light snow falling tonight in upper BCC

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

8:29am MST… There’s a curious white powder floating down from the sky and its getting all over everything… 😯

BTW Sweet photo Dan!

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

very curious indeed!
    thanks dude. we should go night shred one of the resorts soon. you could ride your swally. or did you get your arbor back?

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

10-4 on the night shred… Still waiting on the Arbor, hopefully today or tomorrow…

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

singlewhitecaveman
    242 Posts

@wasatch surf wrote:

I would be down to do some beacon drills for sure. keep me in the loop for that.

Bucky- I love it. Maybe this is karma for me shitting in that creek in Nevada. But if so why must we all suffer?

I’m thinking about sacrificing a virgin girl on top of Mt. Olympus but i’m having a hard time finding one of those :scratch:

That’s how god rolls. The sons of the sons of the sons and all that.

I’m down for beacon drills if you want to head out, even I’ll be able to see the damn thing through 2″ of surface hoar (i’ll pretend i didn;t see). Hell, I coudl be talked to make a snowman I’m so deprived of snowsports. i even took my no-board out on sunday…surpisingly not totally fuqqin lame.

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

12/15
    Cardiff Bowl.
    sucked. a few inches of faceted snow on top of crust with rotten snow all the way to the ground. planned on going to cardiac area which looked a lot better, but my new boots and my feet aren’t getting a long so I aborted the plan. really pretty up there though. much better than the shit-hole of a city that we live in.

Snowvols
    291 Posts

Anyone want to get out tomorrow? I have been stuck to night riding at Brighton or not going at all this week so I want to check out the new snow. Let me know I am up for touring anywhere, but I just want a few turns.

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

Switched back to my old boots and was able to find some better snow today. Really fun day, lots of people out. Soft snow on shady aspects.

Heres another iphone photo showing our amazing low tide snow and smog situation

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

^^^ Always have your avalung ready when getting ready to drop in… to the SL valley… 😀

Would love to get out tomorrow, but no board, no skin glue, no snow… Guess I’ll keep trail running seeing how I ran most of the way to the cabin run (Gobblers) yesterday… WTF Ulr? :scratch:

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

Snowvols
    291 Posts

I went out today planning on hitting Wolverine bowl. I took a different way instead of going up and to the peak of Milly. I should have gone that way since the way I went took me up Stupid Chute. I skinned into it and went above the skin track to test stability since i was solo was kind of nervous skinning up that chute. When I jumped on the skin track I put in place, all of the snow broke away. I then opted to say screw that and turned around. I never realized skinning downhill in a boulder field is so miserable. Smart decision I believe, and I scored some great turns off of Great Western at Brighton.

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

Saturday Dec 17… Normally I don’t get bored running in MillCreek until spring, but things being what they are I needed a change of scenery so I did a trail run up to Lake Desolation…

A shitty video to show the conditions…
    [vimeo:2qrpnzj0]http://www.vimeo.com/33874493[/vimeo:2qrpnzj0]

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 344 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.