Forums Current Conditions Utah 2011/2012 Utah snow and avalanche conditions
Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 344 total)
  • Author
    UTAH
    830 Posts

^^^Bummed I missed you guys. Not the best snow out there, obvious wind slab found today, stubborn for the most part. Found a small slab.

Adopted a dog.

Take care everyone.

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

Nice work fellas – My work gave President’s Day off so I went chasing blue sky…
    I saw lots of folks tempting deep slabs with bold lines this weekend, hope its worth it 😯
    Low angle at altitude remains fast with facets over supportable crust…

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

buckchow
    356 Posts

Sorry missed you UTAH; I did try! Your kid and dog are pretty cute. And your tracks as always are hot.

We went up Mt Aire today, a potpourri of facets, crusts, (buried) surface feathers, and powder. Dan got some localized settlement setting the skin track.

mar123
    370 Posts

nice ya’ll

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

@snurfer wrote:

Damn I should have given you a call. I didn’t know you would have work off, I miss touring with you dude!

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

@wasatch surf wrote:

@snurfer wrote:

Damn I should have given you a call. I didn’t know you would have work off, I miss touring with you dude!

Same here brother. I’m sticking to slide-proof zones from here on out, but it would cool to ride with you. I’ll hit you up on my next glade lapping session.

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

WhitePine
    503 Posts

BCC – Its getting windy out there. Pretty much everything had a nice wind crust except in the most protected areas and in the tighter trees. We saw rime above 8500 ft and the new snow was very dense and sticky. New snow ranged from 1-5in. Still better than the gym. :thumpsup:

frozone
    56 Posts

Do any of you Utah peeps dawn patrol anymore? Always looking for a DP partner.

mar123
    370 Posts

Headed up Argenta with Wasatch today

breaking trail?? could be ok??

rime

from the cave

bottom 2/3’s rode well with creamy snow to wetter snow at bottom, older tracks were all filled in from the winds

overall snow seemed to get worse as you travel higher with rime starting at about 8800 and significant wind affected snow above that…towards the top below the head wall id say winds were gusting up to around 30mph coming over the top of kessler form the south/south east

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

Wind damage looks burly, is that upslope?…
    Heard a similar report out of Porter Fork stating that above 8500′ the snow appeared to have been rained on… Would certainly jive with the rime.

You guys using the BD Compactors?

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

Doug- I have the compactors. I give them a 7 out of 10 rating.

Lower mineral today. winds and snow were much better today. 4 inches or so of graupel followed by some light density this morning. slope angles were 30+ I didn’t see any cracking, whumping, or fracture lines. lots of wind blow ridges and wind pillows all over the place. I hopped on a few of them but couldn’t get them to pop out. Mid elevation is where its at the past few days.

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

@wasatch surf wrote:

Lower mineral today. winds and snow were much better today. 4 inches or so of graupel followed by some light density this morning. slope angles were 30+ I didn’t see any cracking, whumping, or fracture lines. lots of wind blow ridges and wind pillows all over the place. I hopped on a few of them but couldn’t get them to pop out. Mid elevation is where its at the past few days.

Right on!!! That lower zone seems fun, although I’ve only been there in November-ish conditions. For now I continue to ride 25 degree or lower… Although I did get into my first sketchy slope (40-ish) about an hour ago, thing is I was running… Talk about feeling exposed… 😯
    Glad to hear the positive on the compactor’s, I really like my treking version and was sort of taken back by all the negativity I’d heard on the compactor. Stoked that you got into some TLT’s as well :headbang:

Cheers!

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

@snurfer wrote:

@wasatch surf wrote:

Right on!!! That lower zone seems fun, although I’ve only been there in November-ish conditions. For now I continue to ride 25 degree or lower… Although I did get into my first sketchy slope (40-ish) about an hour ago, thing is I was running… Talk about feeling exposed… 😯
    Glad to hear the positive on the compactor’s, I really like my treking version and was sort of taken back by all the negativity I’d heard on the compactor. Stoked that you got into some TLT’s as well :headbang:

Cheers!

yeah that zone is one of my favorites for sure. the funny thing about it is, it is the steepest near the trail and then backs off, a lot of the lines are sub 30 degrees. The TLT’s are so rad but now I don’t have an excuse for being slow. your new boot and binding set up you posted on the boot page looks pretty sexy as well!

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

FUUUUCK! I know, I know its in the interest of ‘pubic’ safety, but geesh I was so counting on a line before work 😥

Feb24: BCC will close for avalanche control at 8:00 am.
    Backcountry access will be restricted. Est. open is 9:00 am.
    -CanyonAlerts.org

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

JRoh
    23 Posts

Is anyone up for a tour tomorrow (monday)? I got lasik a week or so back and am itching to finally get back out in the mountains with my fresh eyes. I have the day off so anytime will work for me.

Frozone, I am up for some dawn patrols. My work schedule is kind of all over the place but for the next week or two, I don’t work until 1ish so I am free in the morning. Message me if you want make some early turns.

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

The wind moved a lot of snow around and freshened things up a bit… Had a lot of settlement as I skinned, but angles were low enough as to not be a threat… The variety of crusts and facet layers is mind boggling in some places, such that posting a foto or a pit observation won’t tell us anything we shouldn’t already know…

Some art from the day…

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

buckchow
    356 Posts

We spent the last 3 nights on North Slope of Uintas 9500′. Real windy on Saturday. A few inches fell Saturday and last night with decreasing winds. Calm, clear and cold today.

The snow depth at 9500′ was about 3.5 feet. Basically a couple feet of settled snow on top of a foot of unsupportable depth hoar. Walking in snow frequently resulted in the trapdoor effect, wallowing up to your taint in the snow. Most of the columns I dug failed upon isolation at the depth hoar. There were 3 other weak layers in the settled snow, that showed Q2/Q3 shears. We experienced widespread woomphing and visible settlement of the snowpack, on all aspects, with shooting cracks, on Friday and Saturday; then it got more loaded with snow and had wind transport. We identified no recent natural avys.

We considered the overall avy hazard as High. We bailed from establishing the typical skinner (~32 degree treed sheltered slope) cuz the snowpack under our feet was just not feeling right. Stuck to slopes under 30 degrees, which were OK in wind and sun sheltered spots, but crappy, crusted, punchy, where exposed to sun and wind. Some additional notes on the conditions we experienced follow:

UTAH
    830 Posts

Poked my pole around on all aspects and got everything from a few inches of penetration to pockets that I could have lost my pole in. I personally hate that hollow feel more than anything. Stubborn for the most part but wasn’t going to test it. BEAUTIFUL freaking day, so glad others were out enjoying it.

These are some pics from Friday evening I meant to post up. I’m not sure if all the slides were explosives or if it was a mix. I should have took some time to get pics of them all but time was limited. It was quite a site to see.

Take care.

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

whooo! powder riding today. maybe the best day i’ve had this year.

edit: started around 11am, Solo powder tour linking Mill D north: Reynolds, Tom’s, PP3, Beartrap, Shortswing. Winds were strong and visibility sucked on Reynolds and Tom’s. It got better as the day went on. Snowed hard around 1-2pm then it let off a little. My hip pocket on my pack ripped and my car key fell out. I was sitting in the spruces parking lot trying to figure out how I was going to work it out and someone walked up to me and asked if I lost a key. Guess they found it in the middle of the road. Was it my lucky day or what! No camera today, so I grabbed the helmet cam that’s always floating around in my pack. I’m pretty sick of POV and I haven’t used it much this year but mar123’s vid from today inspired me to throw an edit together. Sorry the footage is so shaky, I just had a beanie on and my goggle straps shake a lot more vs when I have a helmet on.
    [vimeo:2nuslyxq]http://www.vimeo.com/37646294[/vimeo:2nuslyxq]

mar123
    370 Posts

yes^^ turns were stellar!! put a couple top to bottom laps in this area today…sun started to show around 5 and colors were going off…beautiful!! Course forgot the camera again today…doh! Did manage to bring the go pro, batteries died after the first lap…enjoy some POV 🙄

yeah Techno…
    [vimeo:m50llcxs]http://www.vimeo.com/37642479[/vimeo:m50llcxs]

some very small sluff/ soft slabs noticed mainly on the backsides of very steep rollovers like boulders and such…other than that it was snowing most of the day and finally tapering off around 5ish when the clouds broke, winds were well behaved… no other instabilities noticed…Id say 6-8 inches in the trees and 10-12 in the open :bananas:

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 344 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.