Forums The Gear Room 2011 DayPack Options
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mac
    40 Posts

I did some digging and I didn’t come across any recent post on Day bag reviews/discussions. I’m just getting splitboarding and in the market for daypack.

So far I’ve got these bags on the radar:
    http://www.backcountry.com/mammut-nirvana-pro-35-pack-1650cu-in
    Mammut Nirvana Pro 35 Pack – 1650cu in

http://www.backcountry.com/dakine-poacher-backpack-2746cu-in
    DAKINE Poacher Backpack – 2746cu in

http://www.backcountry.com/osprey-packs-variant-37-backpack-2100-2400cu-in
    Osprey Packs Variant 37 Backpack – 2100-2400cu in

I’m interested on any experience or pointers to what makes for a good splitter bag. I’m looking for a big enough day pack to pull off a 2 day trip if needed, other than that I’m not entirely sure what I need or should be looking for in a day bag.

Thanks in advance.
    Mac

hoglord
    202 Posts

No doubt the Mammut pack is dope, however I have had numerous Dakine packs over the years and regardless of use, they are bomber proof. Seriously I have had my Helipack for about ten years now and the thing still looks new. If I were to be in the market for a pack I would look for a super durable canvas or cordura outer. I use Mountain Hardware packs because of this.

lernr
    234 Posts

I have the Nirvana and love it.

However, I think it may be small for your purpose. Try Gregory Targhee

amkaplan
    77 Posts

A friend has an Osprey Kode 38 and loves it. One advantage is it opens up behind the back suspension.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/KodeSeriesBackcountryRiding/
    http://www.backcountry.com/osprey-packs-kode-38-backpack-2100-2500cu-in

Hendu
    21 Posts

I have the Nirvana as well. I find it great. It opens as well from the back so digging stuff out from the bottom is easy.

The one complaint I have is it somehow feels a bit smaller that the specified 35L. It would be a bit tight for more than a day tour. But more than enough for a day tour.

jerrett
    139 Posts

I have the Dakine Guide, which is a larger version of the poacher.. and It’s great. I’d recommend it – I picked the guide because the frame is almost the same, it just expands a lot more … so it’s better for overnight, but stil cinches down to be pretty small and out of the way when not being used for full capacity

It does seem a bit on the heavy side as far as bags go, but i don’t usually notice it once its on my back – comfy!

Incalescent
    225 Posts

Black Diamond Outlaw. Has every feature you need:
    diagonal carry
    A-frame carry
    board carrry
    hydration sleeve and tube protector
    snack pockets on hip belt
    axe/pole carry
    goggle pocket
    dedicated avy gear pocket
    back panel access
    solid suspension system

AND it weighs less than all the others previously cited.
    I’m not sure you’re getting 2 days out of any of these packs.

http://goldenincalescent.blogspot.com/

maniacdave
    564 Posts

Currently rocking an old Deuter Freerider of unknown capacity. Because I hate the do it all panel loaders out there, the Deuter Cruise 30 is on my shortlist for an all day touring bag and the Mystery Ranch Saddlepeak or Fuze of smaller slackcountry poacher.

That was Pontus

surfsnowywaves
    60 Posts

I’d probably recommend two separate packs for a daypack and a 2-nighter, especially for winter stuff. You need a lot more bulky stuff for a winter overnight, unless you want to have a serious gypsy-pack with shit dangling every which way.

What you NEED is also a question of where you’re planning on heading. If you’re not going to be getting into terrain where you’re bootpacking, you don’t NEED carry straps, for example. I’ve got a Deuter AirContact Lite 40+10 ( 2450-3050 cubic inches ) which is definitely more space than needed for a day trip, but I’ve also got a Dakine Heli Pro ( 1200 cubic inches ) which is what I typically use for a day trip. I can fit everything I need into that.

However, back to the where you’re headed thing – I’m typically snaking runs through trees in the east, so I don’t carry an avi kit, for example. If you’re an organized packer though, you can definitely fit everything you need for a full day into a Heli Pro.

For an overnight trip, half of the Deuter bag gets taken up by my sleeping bag, so on a whim one day I decided to buy a 65 liter (4000 cubic inches) bag by Sierra Designs, mainly because it was on sale for $85. I haven’t gotten the chance to truly use it due to the gimp situation, but I had it all packed for a month long sojourn through huts and chalets of the Swiss Alps (it holds a lot, simply put).

jyacub
    19 Posts

I`ve got the Dueter Freerider pro. Basically the same as the Code I believe. Can`t go wrong with either.

Its got all the bells and whistles needed for day trips plus Bomber construction, solid zips, great hip belt and unjustability. Can`t really complain about much. Might be a bit heavy but its either durable or light weight. This pack is durable.

LuckyLager
    11 Posts

i picked up a 30L black diamond covert with avalung built in for a good deal, also has a seperate zipper with pockets for probe and shovel peices. pretty sweet i think. very similar to the Outlaw

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

I have a used Kode 30 (orange) for $75 (+$15 to ship it to lower 48 US)

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

PUNKY
    95 Posts

Ive got a Deuter Freeride Pro 30L. Ive used it for slackcountry stuff. Pretty slick day pack. Seems to be durable. Is a panel loader, and opens from the back panel

Osprey Kode 30 is a similar pack to the Freeride, much of the same features laidout, or designed differently.

ben_mtl
    3 Posts

I’m also looking for a new daypack, was lurking at the Kode 30 but I’m not sure I can fit my probe and shovel nicely (without having all the fabric super tightened and having a hard time to closed the zippers…). I really like the fillet to secure the helmet and overall it seems pretty well thought.

Probe is the G3 Speed Pro 240 (40cm long when folded) and the shovel is the G3 Avitech (so it’s quite large)… I currently have the Dakine Pro II and although it seems bombproof I find it quite heavy not that practical. I can put my shovel handle outside the bag but the probe is very tight fit with the shovel blade in the same pocket… I’m always afraid I’ll blow the zipper when closing it !

Another pack that picked my interest is the Gregory Targhee…

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

@ben_mtl wrote:

I’m also looking for a new daypack, was lurking at the Kode 30 but I’m not sure I can fit my probe and shovel nicely (without having all the fabric super tightened and having a hard time to closed the zippers…). I really like the fillet to secure the helmet and overall it seems pretty well thought.

Probe is the G3 Speed Pro 240 (40cm long when folded) and the shovel is the G3 Avitech (so it’s quite large)… I currently have the Dakine Pro II and although it seems bombproof I find it quite heavy not that practical. I can put my shovel handle outside the bag but the probe is very tight fit with the shovel blade in the same pocket… I’m always afraid I’ll blow the zipper when closing it !

Another pack that picked my interest is the Gregory Targhee…

The probe should fit the Kode w/o any problem, but shovel blade fit seems to be a reoccurring problem in every pack I have used. I was using a Voile XLM w/ the Kode 30.

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

ben_mtl
    3 Posts

Yeah I don’t understand why pack builders don’t make the blade storage on the outside bottom of the pack, I used to secure the blade outside the bag on my old Osprey Switch 16 (RIP) and even it it was not the dedicated place for that I found it very convenient.. it kinda follows the shape of the bag and even protects it.
    I understand it can be a problem if the blade gets loose and falls but It wouldn’t be rocket science to create a safe “oustide blade holding system”.
    Might have to tweak with the sewing machine :p

aliasptr
    282 Posts

If you want to get real spendy check out Mystery Ranch packs. Run by Dana Gleason of Dana Designs fame out of Big Sky, MT. http://www.mysteryranch.com/site/index.html

I own the 50 L Big Sky pack (http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3167/.f?sc=11&category=6) and use it for everything from day trips splitting and hiking, summer backpacking to weekend winter camping with my split. It’s a little small for weekends sometimes and a bit big for day missions but I just love the pack so much.

They are expensive but I can honestly say the quality is amazing and it’s made in the USA. The suspension and frame are very well executed and carry loads incredibly well.

Honestly the best pack I have ever owned and I have sprayed about it in other sb.com pack threads! 🙂

In action in the Eastern Sierra loaded up with split, still carried amazingly well!

classicauto
    152 Posts

Deuter freeride pro 30 here.

Solid pack, great hip belt/articulation, GOOD BACK VENTING (most winter packs have just that solid foam back, no channel for heat) and pockets for all day necessities.

Price is right inline with similar size/function packs too. Defintely not the most spendy – but a great bang for the buck.

Jefe009
    675 Posts

+10 for Outlaw. Most comfortable board carry pack I’ve ever used.

@breadbox wrote:

Black Diamond Outlaw. Has every feature you need:
    diagonal carry
    A-frame carry
    board carrry
    hydration sleeve and tube protector
    snack pockets on hip belt
    axe/pole carry
    goggle pocket
    dedicated avy gear pocket
    back panel access
    solid suspension system

AND it weighs less than all the others previously cited.
    I’m not sure you’re getting 2 days out of any of these packs.

www.splitlife.net

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.