Forums Current Conditions Colorado 2011-2012 Colorado Conditions
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    PedroDelfuego
    758 Posts

36″ new at Wolf Creek! Bless those San Juans! Its officially on!

http://mtnweekly.com/wolf-creek-to-open-saturday-for-skiing-and-riding-24485

http://www.wolfcreekski.com/wolf-creek-snow-report.php

People are waiting for weeks/months of snowmaking to do what Sweet Mother Nature can do in 1 day!

summersgone
    820 Posts

[vimeo:ggna0ksb]http://www.vimeo.com/30255522[/vimeo:ggna0ksb]
    This was just on the other side of the mountain of me… Looks like I missed the ball, but I was expecting rock dodging. 😥 I hope it all melts and comes in thick and stable in December. These 3 ft storms preseason can wreak havoc.

Heres to winter! Get some pedro! Hope to see you at the splitfest. :drinks:

PedroDelfuego
    758 Posts

Fresh from the CAIC website…

The November 1st storm brought some decent snow to the mountains. Using the 6 AM numbers from remote weather stations, after the majority of accumulation occurred:

Steamboat Zone 6 to 8″
    Front Range 4 to 6″, with more than 12″ around Cameron Pass
    Vail Summit 6 to 8″
    Sawatch 4 to 7″ with over 10″ on Monarch Pass
    Aspen 4 to 8″
    Gunnison 4″
    Grand Mesa 8 to 12″
    North San Juan 6+” Red Mountain Pass to Telluride, less to the south
    South San Juan 2 to 3″
    Sangres still snowing and blowing hard

Winds started from the southwest and shifted to the east. Generally, wind speeds were moderate but strong enough to drift some snow. Local areas saw stronger winds, with reports of 16 inch thick drifts in Telluride and strong valley winds in the Front Range. While not a big load, the new snow fell onto a weak, early season snowpack. Expect to find sensitive storm slabs and wind slabs in steep terrain near and above treeline. Remember the early season mantra “if there is enough snow to ride, there is enough snow to slide.” Early season avalanche incidents, and even fatalities, are typical. Unpack your avalanche brain as you get the rest of your winter gear ready.

rky mtn srfr
    152 Posts

It looked like the winds definitely blew the new snow around from what I could see up at Loveland resort this morning.

summersgone
    820 Posts

Yesterday up by Silverton. Winter is here… :disco: :rock:
    [vimeo:3mt8hxcj]http://www.vimeo.com/31704641[/vimeo:3mt8hxcj]

PedroDelfuego
    758 Posts

“not bad” is an understatement to say the least! Keep it up! :thatrocks:

UTAH
    830 Posts

Nice work summersgone! It’s on

summersgone
    820 Posts

Thanks Utah. Saw you guys are on too! Nice vid. Sliding on snow is so much better then summer.

IT IS ON! :bananas:

HikeforTurns
    1113 Posts

:thumbsup:

rky mtn srfr
    152 Posts

Did an 8+ mile tour in James Peak Wilderness yesterday, and we need a good 18-24 inches of new snow before I’ll bother going back. Below treeline is way too thin for riding, and near/above treeline got hammered to shit by all the winds from the last 4 days. There may be a few pockets/couloirs holding some decent riding snow on NW/N/NE aspects, but no gaurantees if it will be good/safe to ride. I got some minor fracturing at treeline in the new wind slab on a NE aspect.

LBR
    116 Posts

Visited the Arapahoe Lakes region yesterday. The trail was boney, but if you keep your board pretty flat on the escape you will only hit a dozen rocks or so. We built a ramp to get over a fallen tree blocking the path on the escape. Snow in the trees below the Arapahoe Lakes was approx. 2-3′ deep, with many logs and boulders to find. Snow at treelike was a mixed bag of loaded, cracking slabs and blown nearly clear. Maybe it was the cold which made our boards reeeaaaallllyyyyy slow in the untracked.
    There were more people at the trailhead than I remember seeing ever before. The gully below the lakes received an awful lot of traffic.

SickSplitty
    32 Posts

What up Pedro? Wolf Creek got 24 more two days ago. 68″ base. The San Juans are the place to be in CO right now. Have you seen any tracks down The Hour Glass yet?

summersgone
    820 Posts

@SickSplitty wrote:

any tracks down The Hour Glass yet?

I haven’t been out to the pass yet after this storm, but I would expect not, 40+ inches of brand new snow that has been reported to be sliding quite a bit. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to be dragged down through that choke in the Hour Glass. If it was anything like the snow in Silverton, it was very low density, but a 40″ load probably isn’t too stable on that old layer. I am suprised that they only have it listed as considerable on CAIC, and moderate on N facing.

In other news, about 2+ feet at Silverton over the weekend. Aspect is def a huge factor, with the N to NE having the highest amount of snow (as usual). I rode the resort because the backcountry doesn’t seem quite there yet, and I like to get the legs full on early season. 99% open and got to get all the way to the billboard. Still had early season obsticles, but it was damn fun to ride. Next weekend I’ll be poking around somewhere in the backcountry. We are almost there, couple more storms and were good to go.

SickSplitty
    32 Posts

summersgone: Thanks bro. I was guessing no tracks yet. However, there are some crazy mofo’s down there and that is a great place to spot em!! I love scoping that line when cruising over the pass.

PedroDelfuego
    758 Posts

Haven’t really gotten out this year yet (1 time). But… We rent the Wolf Creek yurt 2 weeks from now! Totally stoked! I hope the terrain around the yurt is good, as this will be our first visit. I am getting pretty stoked for the snow in the San Juanitos, because the northern Rockies are getting nothing. I think we are heading up to Butler on Sunday for a pre-yurt committee meeting and gear check.

Anyone have any info on the Monarch area?

SickSplitty
    32 Posts

Pedro, The Pass Creek Yurt is a classic. Are you going in from the road or from Alberta Lake? I perfer the Alberta Lake approach. It requires some more navigating and a couple avy crossings but is much more enjoyable. The road is really long and boring. Very nice gladed trees to ride close to the yurt. There is steeper terrain South of the yurt. It is worth the trek if the snow is good. Grab a topo and scope it. I’ve been out there for 4 days and had blue bird conditions the entire time. But, last time I was out there a storm rolled in while we were on the approach. I was almost hit by lightning during a mad blizzard in the glades!! It was very scary. I know your a San Juaner, but be careful out there.

Throw down a TR when your done. I’d like to hear what you think.

Last I heard Monarch was not doing so hot. They had delayed their opening another week because of lack of snow. They are open now but it may be a little thin.

Cheers,

PedroDelfuego
    758 Posts

Thanks for the input! I’m actually a Denver boy, but I frequent the San Juan’s as much as possible. I really wish the snow would roll in up north, but i guess I will have to be patient… :listen:

Matt Wood
    328 Posts

I would like to take this time to apologize for our less than stellar conditions in Northern Colorado. I may be personally responsible and my bc partner is to blame as well. This year I finally hung up my trusty snowshoes for a split, while at the same time my partner has a pass for the first time in three years. We have upset the universe with our actions, and we are truly sorry. Had we not made these seemingly logical decisions I bet I would be up to my pits in pow (Like last year).

We did tour into one of our zones on the pass yesterday to check it out. The lack of snow is bad but the quality was more disturbing. Looks like it’s gonna be a sketcy Colorado year.

I told my wife we should have moved to South Fork. :banghead:

NYCO
    58 Posts

which pass did you ride? cameron? buff?

Matt Wood
    328 Posts

Harrison Creek drainage on Rabbit Ears Pass.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.