Forums Splitboard Talk Forum 2010/2011 Voile Mojo-RX
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    bcrider
    4149 Posts

Check the homepage http://www.splitboard.com for the details

I’m fired up to try the rockered nose! :headbang:

Zee
    136 Posts

I want to buy one with the LRS bindings asap…

One question though, with the rockered nose and increased taper, would you think sizing down would be a good idea? I was torn between the 166 and 161 before, leaning to the 166, but if the 161 with the rocker/taper works, why go with the bigger size? Fir reference, I’m 5’10” between 175-180 lbs…

singlewhitecaveman
    242 Posts

Haven’t made them any prettier, I see. These things fell out the Ugly Tree and hit every branch on the way down.

BigJay
    342 Posts

@singlewhitecaveman wrote:

Haven’t made them any prettier, I see. These things fell out the Ugly Tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Ok… so i’m not alone!

Wyomingsplit_ride
    663 Posts

WTF…since when have graphics made a board ride or split better? What is up with all the Voile bashing? It is getting old and I am personally tired of this negative vibe. Don’t you ever forget who invented the splitboard, and who has impeccable customer service always. These guys are trying to make a few changes to their line for the better.
    Just my .02

Happy to see a new shape and new graphics!
    WSR

ehcarley
    411 Posts

I’m gonna go ahead and disagree with that one. These graphics beat the shit out of my 161 brown turd from 2008-09. The red one from this year is way better too. I mean seriously, who makes a snowboard that looks like a big ass turd?

Anyway, its still way fun to ride. I wish it was rockered though.

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

Nice progression on the tech…. :thumpsup:

Dave himself asks for feedback on the graphics during one of the videos, so I say fire away. Personally I think they are much improved over previous efforts, but not my thing.

I’m hoping for a 178 swallowtail for 2011. Yeah I know shocking 😉

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

split.therapy
    455 Posts

@wyomingsplit_ride wrote:

WTF…since when have graphics made a board ride or split better? What is up with all the Voile bashing? It is getting old and I am personally tired of this negative vibe. Don’t you ever forget who invented the splitboard, and who has impeccable customer service always. These guys are trying to make a few changes to their line for the better.
    Just my .02

I’m with Wyo Split! WTF!? Give it a rest already! Or become skiers!
    Mojo RX-
    I’ve got nothing but positive feedback on the graphics on my 171 Mojo RX. Especially from the ladies. One of my buddies calls it “Landscape psychedelia”. I thought he was right on.

No matter the graphics, this thing rides like a dream come true. As for size choice. The 171 floats like a 181 and rides like a 161.

barrows
    1490 Posts

I like the early rise tip combined with camber for the rest of the board-that profile could make for a very versatile board.
    Too bad Voile insists on having ridiculously deep sidecuts and cap construction… If the 171 had an 11 meter radial sidecut and some nice, damp, p-tex sidewalls it could be a great board, as it is it will be sketchy at speed, and in difficult snow and steeps.
    I wonder how long it is going to take for manufacturers to realize that boards for charging in the backcountry need way less sidecut to promote stability and control in difficult terrain.

singlewhitecaveman
    242 Posts

Pffft. Number 2 looks like the soundtrack to Voile’s life, Number 3 looks like a giant caterpillar and Number 4 gives me a migraine. I just can’t get into Voiles, and believe me, their looks are least of my gripes.

Don’t worry about me, i’m a lot less judgy on the hill. Some of my best friends once owned a Voile.

Swedish-banana
    147 Posts

I like the second one from the left (Red, green and yellow).
    The other ones are alright.

I totally agree with the other guys who wants a good looking board.
    Of course is performance the most important but when you spend almost a grand on a board, at least I want it to look good.

split.therapy
    455 Posts

@barrows wrote:

I like the early rise tip combined with camber for the rest of the board-that profile could make for a very versatile board………. as it is it will be sketchy at speed, and in difficult snow and steeps.
    I wonder how long it is going to take for manufacturers to realize that boards for charging in the backcountry need way less sidecut to promote stability and control in difficult terrain.

Although I haven’t ridden this board in difficult snow conditions yet I have let it run in powder and chopped up pow. There is nothing sketchy about it at high speed. I live in the Tetons and have no shortage of steep terrain. I’m loving this board on steep stuff I have been on so far. The RX is a steep tree slayer.
    I don’t think this board is designed to be a mountaineering board. There always seems to be a Mtn.Gun for sale somewhere if that’s what you are looking for.

Scooby2
    611 Posts

OK, no one answered Zee’s Question. IMO you should size up with a rockered board because they offer much less resistance to initiating turns. You get more float and more drive out of your turns in soft snow with more surface area. And a deep sidecut is no hindrance until you are on a crust or a firm surface.

I have split with a 14 m side cut and another with a 12 m and they are great when they pop up on a surpise refrozen section or wind crust at mach whatever speed, but the boards are super nimble in pow due to their rocker. I think that a deeper sidecut like the Voile’s have are a good fit for wall hits on exit trails.

HikeforTurns
    1113 Posts

Wyo, I agree to some extent. But, if the graphics are assigned to the sizes ie: I have to buy the leaf pattern if I want the 166, that would be a deal breaker IMHO. Voile needed to go more subtle with their designs, not louder. Again, just my two cents but if im spending the cash I want something pretty to look at. (read: never summer summit or prior hiada eagle) Black/white topsheets and photos of snowy mountains, not that hard Voile.

UTAH
    830 Posts

I would consider myself Voiles biggest fan and their biggest critic. Yes we owe Voile our appreciation for having the foresight and the balls to invest in the Splitboard. They also provide the most affordable set-up on the market and a board that compares to the others. I still find myself scratching my head wondering what the hell their doing and where there getting their advice. It’s good to see there coming up with some new products cause they have been in a rut for a while. Let’s face it their a ski company making a niche snowboard. Who’s giving them advice on their board designs and graphics??? A bunch of tele skiers, save us all if that’s the case.

I have seen more splitters in the BC this year than any other and I’ve been shredding BC going on ten years now. They have and have had the opportunity to be at the forefront but have let it slide by. I don’t see anyone shredding Voile boards or binders and I live in Utah. I wouldn’t buy one, why when I can split a board that I like for a fraction of the cost and weight(thanks to voile of course).

I am going to continue to where my Voile hat that I won at one of the Utah splitfest’s proudly. But I’m going to put this out there for Voile. I’ve got a strong crew of riders with riding styles across the spectrum and years of experience. I’m sure they would all be more than happy to provide some sound advice cause whoever your getting your advice from now ain’t working.

singlewhitecaveman
    242 Posts

@scooby2 wrote:

OK, no one answered Zee’s Question….

Good point. Personally, i find that both rockered profiles, even relatively minor, as well as increased taper dramatically improve float (and for this I have to applaud Voile’s re-design :thumbsup: ) and allow me to make a significant drop a size. To take it further, i’ve also found, based on a database set of exactly 1 trip, that a rocker and shorter length had no noticeable effect on up-skinning. I like getting away with the shorter ride and find it allows me to ride the way I prefer.

barrows
    1490 Posts

“And a deep sidecut is no hindrance until you are on a crust or a firm surface.”
    I would disagree with the above-while the problems with deep sidecuts are most obvious on firmer surfaces (as the edge will tend to bounce all over the place as the tip and tail of the board are over pressured), the problem exists in powder as well. A deep sidecut board will always want to make a short radius turn, and the only way to make longer radius turns on a deep sidecut board is to release the edge and skid the turn. A board with a shallow sidecut allows for longer radius turns without releasing the edge, and will make short radius turns when needed by applying pressure and bending the board. Shallow sidecuts also make it much easier to release the edge and do controlled drifts when necessary, and also make it easier to make an early (down the fall line) turn exit when necessary.
    Deep sidecuts were applied to snowboard design in order to make it easy to carve turns at relatively low speeds, by intermediate riders on hardpack/groomed resort terrain, and are entirely unnecessary for backcountry riding by skilled riders.

raym
    385 Posts

I love the mojo, great board and im looking foward to trying out the mojo-rx.
    I think there is a cuple things that are working agenst voile
    1) being set on one set graphic per-size
    2) seems that alot of ppl dont seem to like the full cap constructon

For me I cant really complain seeing as Im greatful Voile sent me a new mojo board after my free ride delamed. But I feel I can offer my 2cents.

After riding both full cap and non-caped constructons I feel that the non-cap design had a stronger top sheet and the top of the sides around the nose/tail are not as prone to weair when you cross your tips when touring due to the design.

The base could be beefed up a little if at all possable, I have canyons in my base that I would not have had in my free ride or solid boards.

Top sheet graphics should be interchangable between sizes. I know it dosent make the board preform any better, but it would be nice to have somthing you like to look at.

Scooby2
    611 Posts

RE: Sidecuts in Pow, slush, etc.

Hola Barrows, I really dislike shallow sidecuts as well.

However, I really think that the sensation of the tip and tail getting over pressured and bouncing all over the place in pow of higher density and variability and spring snow is due to having a buttery flex at the ends of the board and not the sidecut. When the rail of a board sinks in about 6 inches or more ina fairly homogenous snow layer, the board is really turning more off its base than its edge. Outside of the torque you can put on the board with your hips, the flex of the board defines the arc the board will make.

I have two boards with the exact same cores with identical even radius rocker, one has a 14.5 meter sidecut and the other has a 12 meter. The 12 meter sidecut board is actually stiffer because it is 75% carbon and 25% kevlar in the lay-up, and the 14 meter board in 50%/50% kevlar/carbon and a little softer. They turn exactly the same at lower speeds in pow and soft spring snow. The softer flexing board with the 14.5 m sidecut turns sharper at speed in pow and soft spring than the stiffer board with the deeper 12 meter sidecut. When I ride them on firmer surfaces the 12 meter board turns much quicker and sharper than the slightly softer board with the longer sidecut. I think this shows that the flex and curve the board makes in soft snow rules the turn and that the sidecut really takes over (given that the difference in flex is not huge) only on semi-surfaces to surface riding conditions. I have had and ridden both of these boards for over 10 seasons.

Zee
    136 Posts

Thanks for the input guys… I’m leaning towards a 161 (5’10” 175lbs) but still may opt for the 166 considering 10-12 lbs of gear.

Graphics don’t matter much to me, I’ll ride a board with a dead panda on it if it rides well.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.