Forums Current Conditions Utah 2010-2011 Utah Conditions
Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 379 total)
  • Author
    Snurfer
    1448 Posts

X2 on what UTAH said :thumpsup:
    BTW Mar, just saw the Backcountry Photo Annual. A belated congrats on the write up :headbang:

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

jeri534
    159 Posts

nice pics everyone, great week weve had, cant wait for this next storm coming up.

Anyone heading out thurs and fri? would like to shred with some of you guys now knowing that i have some touring exp under my belt….and maybe learn some of the less populated zones in the wasatch

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

@jeri534 wrote:

nice pics everyone, great week weve had, cant wait for this next storm coming up.

Anyone heading out thurs and fri? would like to shred with some of you guys now knowing that i have some touring exp under my belt….and maybe learn some of the less populated zones in the wasatch

I’ll likely get one pre-work line on Friday, but I need to be skining by about 6:15-6:30am 🙁 Otherwise, its the weekend for me…

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

jeri534
    159 Posts

Im down for an early morning tour, if you dont mind me joining shoot me a pm :rock:

mar123
    370 Posts

thanks ya’ll…Nice report and pics Bucky, gotta make it out there sometime…Will be riding Brighton all day Thursday, and possibly touring on Saturday

forecast video below….STOKED!! :bananas:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/wxbriefing/wxb14feb2011/player.html

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

mid elevation, slopes under 35 degrees rode pretty well today. Could feel the crust underneath but it was still fun.
    cold.

jeri534
    159 Posts

word, good riding with ya, nice to meet bucky too

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

2/18/2011 Big Cottonwood, Took the V-Tail 90 out for a dawn patrol.

6-7am… Gusty south winds were brutalizing the the ridge lines, even at a measly 8900′.
    Cornices were very reactive and dense along N/NE. Snow rode like settled baking soda, very dense and chalky over a sun rotted crust.
    Any day is a good day, but this morning was just barely…

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

buckchow
    356 Posts

Went (partway) up Maybird Chute today. Where we started our descent from, a hasty column dug in a windloaded bank failed on isolation, with a soft slab of approx 18 inches on top of couple inches of pooled graupel. Fairly clean shears, moderate sensitivity, were also observed 4 to 6 inches below the surface, where the new Monday snow was forming minor windslabs. The chute is south-facing and the lower part got slightly damper from the on/off sun. More of a factor on the snowpack were the winds, which were blowing the loose snow around a fair bit, frequently up the chute. Gareth is in from SF:

So is Steve B:

Gareth measures the choke:

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

Wow Bucky considerably different conditions than BBC @ 7am

This ridge gets drifts, but I’d never seen anything like these

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

nice bucky i’ve always wanted that one

mar123
    370 Posts

nice line Bucky!!

Ended up getting out Friday instead of today…Very windy along the ridges but soon as you dropped in it was calm with good snow

clip from Friday…Days and Main Days
    [vimeo:2ux4jszz]http://www.vimeo.com/20139951[/vimeo:2ux4jszz]

dropping

relentless on the ridges

Back to LCC, snow was variable up top…Found the gully on the way down great turning and fun features in there…Wind slabs were encountered on ascent and descent, stubborn to break loose

mar123
    370 Posts

Did’nt feel like painting today…GoPro funny

-Mar

jeri534
    159 Posts

anyone getting out monday?this storm looks like its gonna bring some decent snow with pretty low winds

WhitePine
    503 Posts

Hah nice one Mar. Funny thing is, my buddy was doing that not 45 minutes ago.

I saw a soft slab partially bury a girl today on NE aspect at 9500ft. Probably 40ft wide and ran about 150ft. She was stuck up to her waste. 😯

Incalescent
    225 Posts

It’s pretty f’n good out here right now. Yeah.

http://goldenincalescent.blogspot.com/

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

Saturday 2/20 Elbow Fork (Lamb’s Canyon Spur)

It’s ridiculous out there! 😯

Trail cuts were sliding with almost zero provocation on direct south and north facing. Slides were confined to snow that had fallen this morning and were sliding on as little as 25°. With a good stomp these slides were stepping down into the entirety of the storm snow, to nearly a foot.

By the time I got to 7600′ I could no longer break trail! (Yes I said 7600′) It was nearly three feet deep and low density.
    There were times where drifting plus mini slides had the snow over my waist, it was ridiculous.
    Even being on a 190 swallowtail, I had to ride out in my skin track. Even If I could have skinned up a steeper slope I wouldn’t have risked riding anything else this morning.

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

@mar123 wrote:

Did’nt feel like painting today…GoPro funny

-Mar

yes! this is probably the single best thing i’ve ever seen on splitboard.com

jeri534
    159 Posts

damn I want a swallow tail split for days like today
    [youtube:2yju2rp6]Y7xpLmRLTyg[/youtube:2yju2rp6]

mar123
    370 Posts

thanks Wasatch!!

today was nice indeed…

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 379 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.