Forums Current Conditions Utah 2010-2011 Utah Conditions
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 379 total)
  • Author
    Snurfer
    1448 Posts

Storms lined up through Monday for the Wasatch and Uintas…. :rock:

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

chase_e
    81 Posts

Looks like a BIG storm. http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?wfo=slc&sid=SLC&pil=WSW

Definitely going to get out and do some skinning. :bananas:

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

Went for my first tour today. DIdn’t hit any rocks.
    E/SE aspect soft snow but getting a little heavy, south facing is sun damaged.
    Alta is a cluster fuck circus.
    Snowbird is a close second.
    Flagstaff is pretty tracked out as well.
    If you can get out tomorrow I would try to make sure the aspect is E or N facing, or a packed run at alta.
    Snow depth is pretty good for now.
    Pics on blog.

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

Oct 30.

Alta

North and east facing aspects ridden. Snow was still dense/creamy powder in protected areas. Other aspects were melted out, crusty, or windblown. Snow in North/NW? facing chute was still a few feet deep and holding well. Some collapsing was noted in one area, but that was mainly due to thin snowpack over shrubs and rocks. Weather turned cold in the afternoon and clouds were forming, hopefully it ended up snowing and not raining.

buckchow
    356 Posts
    buckchow
    356 Posts

Alta 10/31:

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

Awesome critter pic Bucky!

I got up into BCC today (10/31) for some no-boarding…

There was a bit of rain at the road elevation and minimal snow, but after hiking for an hour I found some killer lines. Its been about 25 years since I seriously rode my old Burton woody, but I did okay. My camera battery died, but assuming the video and pics turned out I’ll post em up later….

By 3pm a serious melt was underway :nononno:

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

KR
    159 Posts

GREAT turns today off Rocky Point and So Long, upper Albion Basin. Supportable, with a nice layer of softer snow on top, but it was ruined by periodic sun breaks throughout the day. Wife and I were skinning at 8:00, which was the key to getting the goods before the temperature and/or the SLC crowd.

Not bad for Halloween!

buckchow
    356 Posts

Still surprisingly good riding conditions today in shady uppermost BCC. Fast smooth powder with supportable, adequate base.
    Fun enough that I took 4 runs. I hit no rocks but watch out for sharks in the shallow water. Mashed potatoes on the way out.

THis photo makes me want mint chocolate chip ice cream.
    Ciochetti’s Ribbon looks good to go, Just kidding.

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

god damn it. Really wish i wouldn’t have started working tuesdays, looks good Bucky!

buckchow
    356 Posts

A foot plus of fresh medium density powder at 10000′ to 11000′ LCC. It is bonding fairly well to old surface. Pits revealed slight weakness (Q2/Q3) between new and old snow. Manageable sluffing in 40 degree northfacing chute. Minor wind transport seen up high. No slabbing witnessed, but will rise with more snow and/or wind. Old turns are completely covered, turning conditions are great all the way to the parking lot.

buckchow
    356 Posts

Great stable dense powder. Still rather shallow and bony of course.
    Zak:

mar123:

No one else up here all day:

Terrain traveled included entire horizon ridge:

The hills have eyes

KR
    159 Posts

looks good, man. are you booting up tuscarora? thanks…

buckchow
    356 Posts

KR – No we skinned up Tuscarora.

edit to add that Tuscarora is still rocky and not recommended for descent. A long running sluff appeared to have exited 3 chute aka seagull and gone down apron.

WhitePine
    503 Posts

Dawn patrol this morning at Alta.
    @wasatch surf wrote:

Alta is a cluster fuck circus.

By the amount of tracks up there you’d think the lifts are already running. Still, good right-side up snow can be found but you won’t go very far without crossing tracks.
    Not a bad first tour. Even though it was a quickie.

KR
    159 Posts

Thanks, buckchow… do you think the brighton approach to catherine’s is shorter? for some reason it seems alta to catherine’s is shorter to me.

I saw your eye on that building today… hadn’t noticed that before. Kind of weird…

It’s good up there, you just got to get ‘up’ there.

mar123
    370 Posts

nice shots Bucky…yesterday was fun

chase_e
    81 Posts

went to LCC yesterday, got some great early season turns. only ran into a few people, and they were gone by noon. only hit one rock spot, because I am an idiot and got out on a sun exposed lower elevation rock band..
    Some of the best early season riding yet. :drool: :bananas: :doobie:

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

Got a late start today and figured a long walk would do me more good than banging my head on a rock, so I decided to go kick around in main Days Fork… I knew other places would have better riding, but my inner misanthrope didn’t want to deal with humans en-mass.

Anyways, the low angle stuff in main Days rode really good on N, NE aspects, but the steeps were extremely bony. Basically there really isn’t much base in this area from the previous storms. So despite there being 8″- 20″, every pole plant, or turn plunged all the way to rock or timber.

Either way it was fun, and I needed the exercise. BTW… I love my Scarpa F3’s :rock:

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

buckchow
    356 Posts

Conditions were the bomb today! Carla and wasatch surf:
    Regarding the rumoured crowds: we put in a couple skin tracks today, in-bounds, which I’m pretty sure no one else used.

Eric:

One ski resort on the left, one on the right:

Bony in spots:

Not in others:

No significant instabilities observed. Some deep drifting and hints of windslab on upper ridges. Certainly there’s
    enough loose snow to sluff on steep slopes, but it was pretty stubborn to do so.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 379 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.