Forums Current Conditions California 2010-2011 California Conditions
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    BGnight
    1382 Posts

@jimw wrote:

SAC avy rating is EXTREME today. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them give that rating. Interesting snowpack with all this dumpage.

So since I’m “extreme” I can safely go out and shred lines, right?

Ecobrad
    2068 Posts

I like EXTREME soft drinks, I’m in!!!

@bgnight wrote:

@jimw wrote:

SAC avy rating is EXTREME today. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them give that rating. Interesting snowpack with all this dumpage.

So since I’m “extreme” I can safely go out and shred lines, right?

dishwasher-dave
    460 Posts

Skin track is in on Tallac, just to Corkscrew area.

Vis was poor, but there is evidence of naturals in North Bowl and a big ol deposition pile pretty much at the bottom of Corkscrew. Couldn’t see how that started.

Heelside turns resulted in really inconvenient blinding, choking, awesome faceshots.

powderjunkie
    1665 Posts

keep that track in for thursday 😉

puff and I bailed saturday after riding phouse friday. 4-8 of new over soft, dried out pow from the tues storm. :drool: started getting wet by our last lap and soon turned to rain in slt. :nononno:

noticed the surface hoar at the echo snopark

we really wanted to stick it out up there for todays payday but oh well

BGnight
    1382 Posts

West shore was money today (no pics or vids :()
    Up top on a cross loaded ridge found some dense, reactive wind slabs while breaking trail but luckily they were confined to a small area. Didn’t notice any other instabilities while riding except some sloughing on some steeper tree runs. Didn’t do any digging :nononno: but felt confident with the terrain we were in.
    It was fast powder.

powderjunkie
    1665 Posts

eco and I enjoyed a hooky day at tallac yesterday

gotta get the lake pic first as we drove to make sure emerald bay was closed.

we watched 2 do the central chute 😯 , i think it included a base grind for the 2nd down

halls looks thin still

eco gets his line with probably the best backdrop around big blue

umm, ok

one track

from blower to butter

corkscrew was all time as well. :thumpsup:

merry splitmas

jbaysurfer
    947 Posts

Holy Shit that looked fuckin’ epic!

:thatrocks: :headbang:

I’m probably gonna be looking for east side partners this week…27th-30th. If anybody’s gonna be out that way, hit me up, I get PMs to my phone.

Greenhorn
    43 Posts

The snow is holding good with all this cold air sitting in place. Hit up a hill across from the house for a couple laps and found nice, un-wind-effected snow. Should be good for a few more days.

SanFrantastico
    1514 Posts

Putting the poo in swimming pool since 1968.

Ecobrad
    2068 Posts

Not a bad base at the Spur.

Or freshies

powderjunkie
    1665 Posts

are temps staying low and preserving powder and winter snow?

is the sun cooking south aspects?

thoughts on conditions this weekend?

thx

powderjunkie
    1665 Posts

NYE on tallac with the one and only fassnor
    good karma was dished out with a chance meeting, a bottle of bubbly and first drops off the top of north bowl.

Greenhorn
    43 Posts

That is awesome powderjunkie. Champagne and powder.

swanny
    189 Posts

Socal reporting in with sunny skies and powder smiles.

Sat. Mt. Baldy sidecountry w/Josh

Sun. Good Pow at Mt. Baden-Powell
    Olly’s first turns in the lower 48, welcome to the states!

Josh

Isaac

If Daytime temps stay low it may be this good next weekend too.

silver
    167 Posts

Well, daytime temps did not stay low, and a nasty north wind kicked in, BUT full on spring conditions in Baldy Bowl with good coverage down to the ski hut today. Rode one of the chutes from the summit ridge (a little variation just to boarders right of Zen Chute) around noon and the snow was a little on the slushy side of perfect but still good. It got heavier as I hit the main bowl and there were wet slides going off starting around 1:30-2:00 pm

Bottom line get out early and you can find good spring conditions in Baldy Bowl.

Wind exposed areas near the summit and on north facing aspects were much much firmer.

96avs01
    874 Posts

@silver wrote:

Well, daytime temps did not stay low, and a nasty north wind kicked in, BUT full on spring conditions in Baldy Bowl with good coverage down to the ski hut today. Rode one of the chutes from the summit ridge (a little variation just to boarders right of Zen Chute) around noon and the snow was a little on the slushy side of perfect but still good. It got heavier as I hit the main bowl and there were wet slides going off starting around 1:30-2:00 pm

Bottom line get out early and you can find good spring conditions in Baldy Bowl.

Wind exposed areas near the summit and on north facing aspects were much much firmer.

A couple of glissaders almost got taken out by one on 1/16

165 Venture Divide/Spark Frankenburners/La Sportiva Spantiks
    163W Jones Solution/Phantom Alphas/Dynafit TLT5s
    162 Furberg

Chris

SanFrantastico
    1514 Posts

South facing aspects had developed nicely by Saturday afternoon. We had the pleasure of riding a classic. Breadbox in the Emerald Chute:

Pro tip for you Steve! (No charge this time either, brah.) Watch that slough on yer left.

Putting the poo in swimming pool since 1968.

dishwasher-dave
    460 Posts

Nice shot SF. That is a classic.

If anyone is interested in reading an account of Darren Johnson’s avi accident on Red Lake Peak, there is a pretty good write up in this month’s Tahoe Mountain News.

They have a decent web reader and the article begins on page 34.

http://www.mountainnews.net/201101/

Here is a link to the SAC write up:

http://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/node/732

Greenhorn
    43 Posts

Feels like April out there.

BGnight
    1382 Posts

I can see my old tracks! (upper left)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.