Forums The Gear Room 2 way radios
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

We want to know what 2 way radios you use and why? We are looking to get 4 radios for our bus, 2 for athletes and 2 for the photographer and filmer. We are going to be at some far distances from eachother at times and communication is one of the most important things. We already have a SPOT find me and a SPOT satellite phone. Thank you

Bus Life Adventure
    http://www.buslifeadventure.com

Jefe009
    675 Posts

What’s up Bus Life!

I’ve used 3 different models of radios for filming splitboarding now, and these are my favorites so far:

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/US-EN/Business+Product+and+Services/Two-way+Radios/Consumer+Two-way+Radios/Talkabout+MS350R

I have about 30 days’ use on mine after my old pair crapped out in the middle of a filming trip last year.

Pros:

Waterproofness works. I’ve dropped these in the snow a bunch of times and never had a problem.

Farthest range on a pair I’ve used. They claim 35 miles but that’s a bunch of BS. You’ll be lucky to get a mile in most terrain below treeline, maybe farther in the alpine. You want direct line of sight if possible.

Batteries last longer than my 2 other pairs. These come with rechargable battery units, but you can also replace them with tripleAs out in the field.

Cons:

Standard radio stuff, they never give you as much range as you want, and the batteries don’t last as long as you’d wish.

In real life use for filming splitboarding, fully charged these should last about a day out in the field if you leave them on and use them regularly. At the end of the day, just throw them on the charger and they’ll be ready to go for the next day. And you already carry backup tripleAs for your beacons, right? 😀

Yes, you can certainly buy more expensive radios but I haven’t needed anything more than these here and these are about as big/heavy as I’m willing to pack around.

Hope this helps! Once you have some video edits to share hit us up at Splitlife.net, we’re happy to share stuff from other splitboarders too. Jefe

www.splitlife.net

HikeforTurns
    1113 Posts

I have the same ones as Jefe. I am pleased with them as well. The only thing I’d add is that the talk button can be tough to push with thick gloves on.

TLN
    47 Posts

Easy: Baofeng Uv-B5.
    Grab one off ebay or elsewhere. Works as Yaesu or better raidos. Cost $50.
    You can listen to two frequencies at the same time, and talk to them. 99 channels, 5W output. People claimed they have over 20km range in mountains. This might be an overkill, but works great.

firstlight
    721 Posts

We use these with our guiding company for comms
    Baofeng GT-3 Mark II Dual Band
    5W so good power.
    lots of accessories.

cheers

Adam West

www.firstlightsurfboards.com.au
    www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au
    www.splitfest.com.au
    www.snowsafety.com.au
    www.mrbc.com.au
    www.backcountryglobal.com
    www.alpinefirstaid.com.au

NickDrake
    46 Posts

I’ve been very satisfied with Midland gxt1000vp4, they have GMRS bands which have a much longer range. Technically you are supposed to have an FCC license to use a GMRS radio, but I’ve never met anyone who bothered. I’ve found their range and battery life to be superior to Motorola models that I used in the past.

Under absolutely ideal conditions we once picked up signals from a group doing crevasse rescue practice on the north side of Rainier while hiking on Mt. Si (above Karakorums shop). That’s 40 or so miles as the crow flies. I wouldn’t expect that range in any normal situation, but it was damn impressive.

J.P.
    29 Posts

I am the poor person with the cheap radio, but everyone I work with at shop loves their BC Link from BCA.

http://www.backcountryaccess.com/products/avalanche-safety/bc-link-group-communication/

cometogether
    385 Posts

not sure the price on eveyones setups but I too have the BCA mics and I love them! total game changer instead of yelling how was it or sounding stupid trying to yell in wind just hit the button and its game on! easy hand held mic/speaker works on your pack and they can get plenty wet… range seems fairly good, id say a mile or so pretty much any terrain, more if your above tree line.. worth the cost EASY..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.